Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 01:24 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

Did Josh have diaper duty?
- that would cure anyone of curiosity -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 03:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I watched The Duggars in passing. In the past I thought they are a cult, but that is their choice....but when a cult acts in such a fashion, I think it's not acceptable.

But then, how are they different from The Amish? I believe don't know for sure, if the Amish community handles these matters in their own community in their own way.
I shudder to think what goes on in the Amish community.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Did Josh have diaper duty?
- that would cure anyone of curiosity -
Diaper duties a means to an end with a pedophile.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Reality check? So she is suing someone who, when he was 13 or 14, touched her in an inappropriate area over her clothes while she was asleep, and she didn't even know it had happened till she was told?

If that's the case, I have a list of school boys from my jr. high years that I can sue. I see a huge payday coming my way.
Yeah, I agree...all those girls I played truth or dare with in elementary school, and the boys who felt me up on the school bus in middle school. Better start checking to see who has money.

I wonder what 'damages' she is going to claim? I could probably blame those adolescent experiences for my divorce and subsequent gall bladder removal.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 07-04-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower00 View Post

Good!

Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I don't think the Duggars are the only ones who acted in a harmful way back when this situation actually took place. To my mind, the so-called "justice system" in the town where they live is just as culpable for damage done to any of the young women. They failed miserably to do their jobs. They covered up a scandal lest it hurt someone they liked. That's not the way law enforcement is supposed to operate. They should be included in any law suit.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I really believe that this case is unusual.

We have not yet heard her side of the story. If her family holds religious beliefs similar to the Duggars, she may have been forbidden, intimidated, or shamed into speaking about the incident. Talking to police with the permission of her parents as a minor is completely different than speaking of it many years later when she is an adult, perhaps married and finally out from under the control of her parents.

We can't possibly know why she did not sue or press charges at the time, but I would not be the least bit surprised to hear that her parents would not allow it. Don't forget that women can be easily be considered tainted in the Gothard religion.

Perhaps she has been holding this secret in shame her entire life, perhaps she has been told she was not worthy and it was her fault, or perhaps her family did not tell her future husband during her courtship, and he is outraged to find out now. Perhaps she become a wife or a mother and has realized that what happened to her is not okay and there is no defense for what was done to her.

I am not even convinced that she intends to sue for any amount of money. Maybe she plans to donate any winnings to charity and just wants to send a message to young women (in her religion or otherwise) that being touched without your permission wrong. I can't believe that some people are make assumptions based on an article in In Touch magazine. Many of these the same people refused to believe In Touch when the story of Josh Duggar broke in the first place, calling it the "liberal media" and a tabloid.

I just don't get the jumping all over her and insisting that she is after anything without even giving her a chance to speak. It reeks of victim shaming and blaming.
Maybe this link will help answer some questions. The victim is suing because she wants Josh to take responsibility for his actions. She can't pursue the criminal route now, so filing a civil suit is all she can do. Personally I hope she gets a lot of money. We don't know her needs and limitations, from being sexually abused. She potentially needs a lot of treatment by someone qualified to do it.

I agree with you, raindrop, that this is a very unique situation. I have confidence the victim is going to win quite a bit here, some of it money.

She also is the only one named in an earlier police report as a victim that has rights, I doubt JB and M saw that twist coming. Check the link, but this victim can file Civil Lawsuits not only against Josh, she can sue Jim Bob and Michelle too. Since the statute has expired, they can't use the Fifth as their defense. In other words though I dread further words out of their mouths, I love it that this victim has the power and ability to sue them, and they have to answer. Maybe JB & M will get a small feeling of what it's like to be a victim with no one protecting you from the perp.

Additionally, there are only two things JB really loves, IMO: Sex and money. He needs to lose a lot of his money, so he can not be so "wordly" and stop charging $15 K for his speeches.

I'm very happy this victim can sue the parents too This victim has had to see them locally, maybe in church, before they opened their own and then via any media she may have seen, such as magazines, parties for communities, at home schooling conventions, if she was home schooled, on books and more, for years without saying a word. Now, she is the one who will
decide

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar: Molestation Lawsuit Fears — Will Josh’s Parents Be Sued? - Hollywood Life

Also, before anyone else trashes Megyn Kelly, I will try to link what she released about that day. I've already posted in the original thread, that Ms. Kelly was given a list of questions the parents refused to answer. She hadn't planned to interview two of his sisters. Way to try to be in control, JB, because you weren't. Megyn ' s team had to assemble the video on the flight back from AR to NYC. She started the show live without the end being done. Megyn and her team got it done, but given how families with incest don't honor boundaries, one certainly has to wonder what the parents wanted to do before any report aired. Maybe the Today Show offered to pay them, or maybe it was simply about being in charge. No woman is going to tell JB how something will be done, IMO ( meaning that is how he thinks). It speaks to the professionalism and hard work of Megyn Kelly, her staff and some other producers at Fox News that they could show the interview the same day, given when she could finally leave! Perhaps I give JB and M too much credit. It may have been their professional handler, who prepared them for their interview, who explained possibilities of two daughters going on the tv too. He was Huckabee ' s pick for them. Politics may look easier now for that man, vs. preparing parents of both four victims and the son who violated them.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-05-2015 at 01:48 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
This will be one thing the unrelated victim's lawyers will have to stop: lying by mixing details. This is an interesting read. Certainly the Duggars' attorneys can call all the sisters as defense witnesses. They will minimize and confuse deadlines of what happened when.

The article also alludes to TLC doubling down to save their cash cow show. Perhaps TLC and sponsors need to be reminded again

Did Jessa Duggar Lie About Molestation Scandal During Fox News Interview?

MSR

Old 07-05-2015, 03:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
This is all nothing but a bunch of speculation. Any publication can write an article that So-and-So is thinking of doing "whatever" according to an unnamed insider. The person that supposedly is thinking about doing "whatever "can't do a thing about it because if they were to sue, on the stand they will have to swear it never crossed their mind or they never even got asked if they might sue by anyone, including some unknown reporter shouting the question at them as they walked by. The National Enquirer perfected this technique and it is textbook yellow journalism. Sadly, it is quite effective in accomplishing what it set out to do, stir up readership.

If she does sue she will end up far more traumatized than she currently is - do not think for one minute that her name won't get published. Some insider will give it out, or they'll talk to some friend/neighbor who will discuss how concerned they are about So-and-So, which is a way to skirt around the any name protection statutes out there. So, let's not kid ourselves, if it's real it will be settled out of court.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:59 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Maybe this link will help answer some questions. The victim is suing because she wants Josh to take responsibility for his actions. She can't pursue the criminal route now, so filing a civil suit is all she can do. Personally I hope she gets a lot of money. We don't know her needs and limitations, from being sexually abused. She potentially needs a lot of treatment by someone qualified to do it.

I agree with you, raindrop, that this is a very unique situation. I have confidence the victim is going to win quite a bit here, some of it money.

She also is the only one named in an earlier police report as a victim that has rights, I doubt JB and M saw that twist coming. Check the link, but this victim can file Civil Lawsuits not only against Josh, she can sue Jim Bob and Michelle too. Since the statute has expired, they can't use the Fifth as their defense. In other words though I dread further words out of their mouths, I love it that this victim has the power and ability to sue them, and they have to answer. Maybe JB & M will get a small feeling of what it's like to be a victim with no one protecting you from the perp.

Additionally, there are only two things JB really loves, IMO: Sex and money. He needs to lose a lot of his money, so he can not be so "wordly" and stop charging $15 K for his speeches.

I'm very happy this victim can sue the parents too This victim has had to see them locally, maybe in church, before they opened their own and then via any media she may have seen, such as magazines, parties for communities, at home schooling conventions, if she was home schooled, on books and more, for years without saying a word. Now, she is the one who will
decide

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar: Molestation Lawsuit Fears — Will Josh’s Parents Be Sued? - Hollywood Life

Also, before anyone else trashes Megyn Kelly, I will try to link what she released about that day. I've already posted in the original thread, that Ms. Kelly was given a list of questions the parents refused to answer. She hadn't planned to interview two of his sisters. Way to try to be in control, JB, because you weren't. Megyn ' s team had to assemble the video on the flight back from AR to NYC. She started the show live without the end being done. Megyn and her team got it done, but given how families with incest don't honor boundaries, one certainly has to wonder what the parents wanted to do before any report aired. Maybe the Today Show offered to pay them, or maybe it was simply about being in charge. No woman is going to tell JB how something will be done, IMO ( meaning that is how he thinks). It speaks to the professionalism and hard work of Megyn Kelly, her staff and some other producers at Fox News that they could show the interview the same day, given when she could finally leave! Perhaps I give JB and M too much credit. It may have been their professional handler, who prepared them for their interview, who explained possibilities of two daughters going on the tv too. He was Huckabee ' s pick for them. Politics may look easier now for that man, vs. preparing parents of both four victims and the son who violated them.

MSR
Again, I think a little reality needs to be brought up again. You said "We don't know her needs and limitations, from being sexually abused. She potentially needs a lot of treatment by someone qualified to do it.". Her needs and limitations? What does that mean? He touched her breasts while she was asleep, what needs and limitations did that cause over 12 years later? Exaggerate much?

Secondly, why would she sue the Duggar parents? If it weren't for them, she wouldn't even know this happened. They are the ones who went to her and made Josh apologize. If she is so concerned about parents that didn't do anything, she should sue her own parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events