Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Apples and oranges. Being homosexual is a sexual lifestyle choice just as being a pedophile would be. So what if it is discrimination? "Discrimination!" is not necessarily always wrong or bad. Our immune system discriminates against benign objects and harmful ones for our survival. In a free country, like this one use to be, a private property business owner should be able to decide who he wants on his private property and who he wants to associate and do business with. You don't want someone to discriminate against you, try winning them over, not force them.

Why should a private business owner not be allowed to determine who he wants to do business with and to associate with? Rather than suing someone, wouldn't it just be easier just find some else who wants to associate with you and do business? Why do you need to force sovereign people to associate with you and pretend to like and approve of you? Why don't you win them over?

It's funny how people call liberty and freedom and morals hatred and bigotry.
It's funny how people call hatred and bigotry freedom and liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sexual lifestyle choice, huh??

so tell us.... when exactly did you make the sexual lifestyle choice to be straight??
I'm not sure he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How does having gay customers deny his religious beliefs?
He's very selective (like many so-called Christians) as to what offends his delicate Christian sensibilities. Adultery and fornicators (of which there are MANY) are A-OK. Gays - not so much.

That's not a Christian or anything resembling a christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's funny how people call hatred and bigotry freedom and liberty.

I'm not sure he did.

He's very selective (like many so-called Christians) as to what offends his delicate Christian sensibilities. Adultery and fornicators (of which there are MANY) are A-OK. Gays - not so much.

That's not a Christian or anything resembling a christian.
seems some abuse of children too goes unnoticed..

Old 07-04-2015, 08:20 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
OK. The first sign was offensive and in the case of a hardware, he won't be asked to take photographs, bake a cake, etc. for a homosexual celebration BUT what makes the death threats he received OK? I read every post and no one mentioned that. Is it the intention of the LGBT community to threaten to kill everyone that comes out to make a statement that the acts involved in homosexuality are a sin to them and that they don't wish to associate with those people? Are you planning to kill them all? Put them all out of business? The hatred shown toward people of faith that believe and do not want to be a part of homosexuality far exceeds any that the masses of religious people have shown toward the homosexual community. If not every, 99% of the threads started here about LGBT community are started by that community toward "Christians", I guess their greatest threat and then after posting, should someone post an opposing view, that person is obsessed. We know who is obsessed with their lifestyle, the ones that start, "Just an another gay thread."

I am sorry for the paranoia but there is therapy and medication for that. The stress of one's lifestyle should not possess them. Death threats over a sign? Definite need for therapy or take the keys and lock them up!

Intimidation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intimidation This is how homosexuality as a mental illness went away.
It's not just homosexuals, it's internet culture. Anything you say online (or that hits the internet) makes you a target for threats. Anything.

I work for a fairly liberal institution and since I am the one who monitors social media and fields general emails, I see tons of threats on a fairly regular basis. I'm on a first name basis with most of our local police force as well as the FBI agent who is dispatched with regularity. Because of my role (which is about as far down the totem pole as you can go - I'm not making any decisions), I have had death threats directed at me personally with people hunting down my personal information. If I could pinpoint their background, I'd put my life savings on the culprits being conservative Christians.

Interestingly enough, when we pissed off the Muslim community we got nothing but polite, yet strongly worded messages. It's the retirees who have nothing but time to be outraged who tend to be the worst.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Apples and oranges. Being homosexual is a sexual lifestyle choice just as being a pedophile would be. So what if it is discrimination? "Discrimination!" is not necessarily always wrong or bad. Our immune system discriminates against benign objects and harmful ones for our survival. In a free country, like this one use to be, a private property business owner should be able to decide who he wants on his private property and who he wants to associate and do business with. You don't want someone to discriminate against you, try winning them over, not force them.

Why should a private business owner not be allowed to determine who he wants to do business with and to associate with? Rather than suing someone, wouldn't it just be easier just find some else who wants to associate with you and do business? Why do you need to force sovereign people to associate with you and pretend to like and approve of you? Why don't you win them over?

It's funny how people call liberty and freedom and morals hatred and bigotry.

So, should I be able to discriminate against the lifestyle choice of being a Christian? Based on MY religious beliefs, following a false messiah is frowned upon and certainly not all that moral. Sure, our difference in beliefs doesn't hurt me, threaten my faith, or do harm to my customers but who cares if I can show off how hateful my religion is, right?

But the second a Christian is told they're not welcome in a Jewish, Muslim, or atheist shop, there would be hell to pay. And I have to say, I would be the first on the bandwagon of shaming any shop that discriminated on the basis of religion, no matter which religion that refers to.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
I wonder if you can put up a "permitted but not welcome" sign. So legally the business would serve blacks or gays or whites or whatever, but the owner could let people know how he feels and customers would be able to support or boycott them.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I wonder if you can put up a "permitted but not welcome" sign. So legally the business would serve blacks or gays or whites or whatever, but the owner could let people know how he feels and customers would be able to support or boycott them.
totally unnecessary, people know the second they walk into a store or restaurant whether or not they are welcome. Signs merely help people like me know which businesses to boycott because I hate bigotry in any form

Old 07-04-2015, 09:54 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Good for him, more homophobes should put up signs like this, so I know where not to spend my money

Bingo!!! Money is money at the end of the day. Shouldn't matter who's handing it over to you..

Old 07-04-2015, 10:16 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Another news link to this article,

On Tuesday, Amyx removed the "No Gays allowed" sign and replaced it with a sign that says: "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of freedom of speech & freedom of religion."

Tennessee hardware store puts up 'No Gays Allowed' sign
If that poor Christian hardware store owner were forced to sell, say, drywall to a gay person, that person might use it in their home! That is so disgusting, so anti-Dog and His teachings! That's hatred and intolerance against the store owner on account 'a his religion.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,141,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
People without a damn clue who post stupid things based on nothing but their ridiculous assmptions never fails to astound me.

------------------

Ok, now that I've dealt with one of the dumbest posts this week, let's get back on topic.

The owner of the hardware store should realize that his sign will eventually be viewed like these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I often wonder if/how the children (now adults) depicted in those signs come to terms with that if/when they see those signs on TV/online/if their children/grandchildren find those signs. How do they explain that?
I bet the majority of them are now elderly racist white supremacists that come on City- Data crying about how the media is now behind the attack on the Confederate flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events