Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:29 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Yup!
The sexual identity problem that Mr. Cruise and Mr. Travolta both have is reportedly the main factor that keeps them in the "Church" of Scientology. That so-called religion has a history of trying to ruin the reputations of those who depart, and neither of these men wants the rest of the world to know what they themselves have been attempting to conceal for many years.

Call Scientology what it is; a cult. A very powerful one but none the less a cult just the same.

Scientology sued the pants off the IRS for denying them tax exempt "church" status, and lost every single case. Then suddenly the IRS changed its position and has fought every effort to disclose why: Scientology versus the IRS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Yes, I really do. They could have thrown anyone into A Few Good Men or Rainman. He was still just Tom Cruise. I have never seen him stretch. He always seems to choose the safe role. Or possibly he's chosen because he's Tom Cruise. I don't see any depth.

You are certainly entitled to enjoy watching him and I don't fault you for it. After all, that's what makes a horse race. I have always admired the not-so-handsome actors; they have to work harder for it.
Some my favorite actors include Kevin Spacey, Gary Sinese, Steve Buschemi, Morgan Freeman, etc.

And I was definitely not referencing Samuel Jackson, when I mentioned limited, but enjoyable actors. It was Keanu.

Back on topic, I hope Cruise and Travolta both abandon that cult.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
What church says THATS ok?????
Islam. It does say to not be excessive and only use physical punishment when all other methods of keeping her in line have failed.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Samuel L. Jackson didn't portray Morpheus - Laurence Fishburne did. Driving Miss Daisy and Shawshank Redemption . . Million Dollar Baby - those were all Morgan Freeman.

I really like both Morgan Freeman and Laurence Fishburne.

While I don't think much of Tom Cruise, as I look back, I have enjoyed a lot of his movies.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:27 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Anyone who follows a "church" where the founder was into black magic has to be barking surely... I watched the movie about Scientology last night and very enlightening.. try and see it...Hubbard lived in fantasy land making up stories about his heroism in the navy etc.. untrue .. as you can read on many sites about the man... you see both Cruise and Travolta in the film.. seriously worrying.. and I like both actors..

Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Will no doubt be one of the biggest news stories of the year if true.

Tom Cruise Might Be Leaving The Church Of Scientology | The Daily Caller
He finally wakes up to the fact that his church is a bunch of cultist money grabbing nut jobs.Wonder how much money he has sunk into that collection of whackos over the years

Old 07-05-2015, 05:25 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
IN the film about this cult it tells that Nicole Kidmans phone was tapped to get stuff to hold over her..and they kept files on all their followers with confessions given by them to use later if they wanted to leave.. and Cruise thinks its a privilege to be one, not forgetting they gave him a big medal to wear onstage the size of a saucer... maybe a flying one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkQdLTJWwo

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-05-2015 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is one of the biggest news story because.......? Seriously, why does this matter at all?
Because he is a celebrity caught up in a religious cult.

Newsworthy elements of this story:

Extremely popular American actor for over thirty years

Huge, powerful religious cult

Since Tom Cruise himself has been on national TV discussing the virtues of Scientology, the fact that he may be leaving it is newsworthy.

I think its in the same vein as the Jimmy Swaggart, Ted Haggard and Warren Jeffs scandals not to mention the Catholic Church pedophile investigations.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Tom Cruise became briefly relevant when he danced in his tighty whiteys in the 1980s. After Topgun there really hasn't been any reason to pay attention to him.
I disagree. He's had quite a few good movies after that. Mission: Impossible, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, The Firm and Interview with a Vampire. I also loved him in Far and Away even though it was an incredibly cheesy period piece.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Will no doubt be one of the biggest news stories of the year if true.

Tom Cruise Might Be Leaving The Church Of Scientology | The Daily Caller
"Might be" leaving the church? Let me know when he makes up his mind. Why waste my time over an article discussing what he might decide to be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events