Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,208,914 times

Advertisements

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/07...have-list.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 06:20 AM

30,678 posts, read 18,301,918 times
While this thread may be better suited for the travel forum, I agree 100%. If a hotel does not have free wifi (and I find that many of the big-name, higher end chains do not have free wifi), then I am very unlikely to stay at that hotel. Wifi is a basic "necessity" to many nowadays, and is something that hotel chains shouldn't be charging extra for. Note, even if hotel chains that don't currently provide free wifi worked a "wifi" fee into their rates without calling it that and were able to provide "free" wifi, they'd more business that they are currently missing out on.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,503,022 times
Hard to imagine any self-respecting hotel charging $129 a night without it.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,311,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hard to imagine any self-respecting hotel charging $129 a night without it.
Most don’t. If you want free wifi try Motel 6. If you really want to splurge Super 8 has them too. The fact is when traveling with family and you want to stay in a nice place you pay for wifi.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 AM

187 posts, read 270,781 times
I travel a LOT for work, and am amazed at how many hotels do not have free wifi. If a hotel does not offer free wifi, they have lost my business.

What I find even more baffling is how many hotels have TERRIBLE wifi service, whether it's free or paid.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 AM

52,700 posts, read 34,636,021 times
the trend I've noticed is that the pricier the hotel, the more likely it is that you have to pay extra for their wifi.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,183,918 times
If I remember correctly, when I stayed at the Palazzo in May when I was in Vegas, I didn't have to pay for the wifi when I first accessed it, unless it was just billed to my room and I didn't notice.

I also ate a box of the gummy bears they had, which I thought were complimentary, only to be told by a friend later on that they were about $10 a pop, so who knows.

One thing I noticed, kinda OT, is airports have free wifi, now. I remember having to pay like $9.95 for wifi a few years ago, and in the airports I've been in, I haven't had to pay anything.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,435,192 times
We recently stayed at a 'big box' hotel in Chicago. They charged for the internet but then told us that some parts of the hotel can't get a good connection so we were free to use the lobby where WiFi was free. Really not so keen on sitting in the lobby checking email and messages in my pyjamas so we did without.

Our room was @ $300/ night, needless to say we won't be staying there again (there were other issues too, ripped sheets, dirty windows, dirty bathroom).

Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We recently stayed at a 'big box' hotel in Chicago. They charged for the internet but then told us that some parts of the hotel can't get a good connection so we were free to use the lobby where WiFi was free. Really not so keen on sitting in the lobby checking email and messages in my pyjamas so we did without.

Our room was @ $300/ night, needless to say we won't be staying there again (there were other issues too, ripped sheets, dirty windows, dirty bathroom).
Definitely a deal breaker for many I would think. That said, while the lobby wifi situation sucks for the reason you outlined, I would stay at a hotel that had free wifi only in the lobby. It's not having wifi at all that pisses me off. I don't understand, though. If the less luxurious motels can provide free wifi, why can't the higher end places provide it, especially at the prices they charge?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If I remember correctly, when I stayed at the Palazzo in May when I was in Vegas, I didn't have to pay for the wifi when I first accessed it, unless it was just billed to my room and I didn't notice.

I also ate a box of the gummy bears they had, which I thought were complimentary, only to be told by a friend later on that they were about $10 a pop, so who knows.

One thing I noticed, kinda OT, is airports have free wifi, now. I remember having to pay like $9.95 for wifi a few years ago, and in the airports I've been in, I haven't had to pay anything.
Unfortunately, the free airport wifi hasn't quite caught on with the NYC area airports, which greatly upsets me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events