Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I get the underlying sentiment of the OP.

Seems like there's a 'thank the troops' creep into every single holiday.

As a former veteran, I've already stated my thoughts on this in numerous opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
At the rate this country is going, everyday is about the troops. They will figure out some way of getting the troops into Thanksgiving Day and Valentines Day.

I get it, to some degree. I live in a military town, and I know a lot of people who are in the military. Many of them feel a bit uncomfortable about the constant butt-kissing. Well-meaning people come up to them in public all the time when they're in uniform and thank them for their service, and it really isn't necessary.

That said, today should be a day to celebrate all Americans, including our service members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I get it, to some degree. I live in a military town, and I know a lot of people who are in the military. Many of them feel a bit uncomfortable about the constant butt-kissing. Well-meaning people come up to them in public all the time when they're in uniform and thank them for their service, and it really isn't necessary.

That said, today should be a day to celebrate all Americans, including our service members.
To be fair, it's tricky too when you consider the earlier indigenous Americans whom were conquered and displaced.
Like so many, I have family members and friends who serve(d) in the military and I have native American ancestry and many native American friends.
Today we all fired up the grill and shot off fireworks, it was a grand celebration!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:39 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We sleep and rise under a blanket of freedom provided by our military. They should be honored every day. My father-in-law served in WW II, my brother was a lifer in the Navy & served in the Korean War, my husband served in Vietnam, my nephew has been on leave and left yesterday to return to Fort Riley.

Yes, July 4th is about our independence, but how fragile that independence would be without our military.
No disrespect for your family and their sacrifices, but it's been more than a half century since American troops fought a war in which our independence was at stake. Everything since Korea at best (and arguably since WWII) has been about protecting our economic interests and (to some degree) personal safety from terrorists. It's been a very long time since any foreign power has directly, or even indirectly, threatened our independence.

Our independence is fragile, that's certainly true, but our troops are doing nothing to protect it. The greatest threats to our independence come from within, and have for many decades.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
No disrespect for your family and their sacrifices, but it's been more than a half century since American troops fought a war in which our independence was at stake. Everything since Korea at best (and arguably since WWII) has been about protecting our economic interests and (to some degree) personal safety from terrorists. It's been a very long time since any foreign power has directly, or even indirectly, threatened our independence.

Our independence is fragile, that's certainly true, but our troops are doing nothing to protect it. The greatest threats to our independence come from within, and have for many decades.
Basically this.

No one ever asked the veterans about the level of hero worship they now receive (on par with certain propaganda-driven and/or autocratic states I've studied or visited). It's clever, dazzle the public with the patriotic sacrifices of America's soldiers, and the public won't bother criticizing the imperial decay.

The greatest threats to rights/freedom/privileges are from within. I'm more worried about local government (lazy or crooked judges, cops in cahoots with the tow companies, nepotism hiring, insider land/zoning deals, etc).

Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This day in the USA is about the American people and the country, not about the troops (or members of the military as you want).

We have Memorial Day for the fallen, Veteran's Day for that served and have served.

This day is for Americans, the USA and it's Independence.
THANK YOU!!! I kept seeing tweets and Facebook posts thanking vets for their service. People need to learn their history. Its sad that people don't even know what American holidays mean.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We sleep and rise under a blanket of freedom provided by our military. They should be honored every day. My father-in-law served in WW II, my brother was a lifer in the Navy & served in the Korean War, my husband served in Vietnam, my nephew has been on leave and left yesterday to return to Fort Riley.

Yes, July 4th is about our independence, but how fragile that independence would be without our military.
Please don't tell me that you believe this country is free solely due to the military.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

I couldn't agree more which is why it galls me when people say the only reason we have our freedom is due to the troops. Yes, they play their role but there are so many American citizens who play their part in our freedom too.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This day in the USA is about the American people and the country, not about the troops (or members of the military as you want).

We have Memorial Day for the fallen, Veteran's Day for that served and have served.

This day is for Americans, the USA and it's Independence.
In my experience, military bases put on the very best Independence Day celebrations. Some of my fondest childhood memories involves heading to the Air Force base right up the road for a patriotic concert and fireworks show. I remember the Air Force Band of Flight performing once. Just fabulous. People would drive in from all over to be a part of the celebration.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

While I don't think every holiday necessarily has to be about the military, I do make it a practice to thank our service people when I see them and when I can do so quickly and make an exit. I'm sorry if it makes some uncomfortable, but I thanked an elderly gentleman (wearing a hat declaring the ship on which he served) and he took my hand and with tears in his eyes said, "Thank YOU, my dear. We seem to have been forgotten." If it can evoke that kind of response, I'll risk making some feel a bit uncomfortable.

I don't ask for names or expect any kind of interaction. I simply say five words as I pass by. No handshake. No need for acknowledgement. Just a simple statement of my true feelings. Bearing in mind that there is no longer a draft, the people serving now have volunteered to do so. Regardless of the reason - can't find a job; specialized training; college tuition - they offered to give up some of their time and I would like to recognize that.

Back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Please don't tell me that you believe this country is free solely due to the military.
so then who would you believe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events