Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 PM

42,766 posts, read 26,048,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, the same ones who say, "for all intensive purposes". I caught my niece with that one. Intelligent young woman, two degrees, but really thought that was the expression.

People don't read anymore, and it shows.
lol that's the truth, and 'could care less' drives me insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,080,576 times
"Seniors" at 40's? After a 10 year payback on student loans, they will still be in their 50's. As long as they can pay back the student loans, what do you care what they do with their money or time?

I know a lot of people who went to medical school and law school in their 40s, and they became successful thereafter.

Mick

Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 PM

30,207 posts, read 23,620,464 times
I put a lot more stock in older people paying off their loans than I do younger people who now want the government to make those loans "disappear" because "education should be free, the government should pay for it".

It always cracks me up when some kid gets on a forum or comment section and reveals just how ignorant he/she truly is. No one is impressed, and stuff the ageism. Maybe if the youth shut their mouth and listened more, they would learn something from older people instead of thinking all older people are stupid and useless.

By the way, totally agree with: 'could care less'. I will mock every single time I see it, along with the fools who think "of" is the correct word when saying, "would have, could have, should have".

Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,106,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I put a lot more stock in older people paying off their loans than I do younger people who now want the government to make those loans "disappear" because "education should be free, the government should pay for it".
Sure someone will pay it off right after they croak. I honestly don't even think anyone here even read the article.

This was a paragraph in the article by TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME
"Unlike a new college grad, there’s little prospect of years of rising salary income to help pay off the loan. That’s one reason older debtors have the highest default rate of any age group. (Also, most people who can’t pay off a loan will eventually age into being included among older debtors.) Over half of federal loans held by people over age 75 are in default, according to the GAO."

Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,899,151 times
Its like. . . .FYI

If you are a parent and have 18 years to save for your child's college costs.

Do it so the child is not paying loans off at the age of 60.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Get the government the hell out of the student loan business altogether. It's what causing the problems.
Do you envision that, in today's post-Lehman world, without a Federal loan guarantee banks would extend unsecured $150K loans to 18-22 old year kids with practically zero credit history, zero income and zero assets? Even if they did, the banks would require super high interest rate and personal guarantees from parents (which probably is the case now, too). Things may not have been so draconian decades ago, but probably not any more.

Yes, of course, the Federal loan guarantee makes it so easy for any student to get loans, and some of them would never get a ROI on their investment (especially from a for-profit or crappy not-for-profit colleges) and may not fully repay their loans.

But unlike home ownership promoted through the mortgage interest deduction, college education for many is the only upward mobility ticket and is more deserving of a Federal assistance.

Mick

Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Its like. . . .FYI

If you are a parent and have 18 years to save for your child's college costs.

Do it so the child is not paying loans off at the age of 60.
It's hopeless in some ways. 20 years ago, the tuition at the America's best private colleges was between $20-25K per year. Now it's over $50K.

Saving for $25K x 4 was doable, but $50K (plus room and board) is impossible for most families in America.

Of course, most colleges would give you a very generous grant so your kid's out of pocket expenses are well below $50K per year for most middle class families (some would receive free education at well endowed institutions). Only the rich pays the full MSRP and that's apparently the idea.

But the real challenge is paying for your kid's private school (even Catholic school) education from K-12 at anywhere from $10K to $50K per year while saving for college. And then your kid decides to major in Fine Arts or Philosophy . . . on a six year plan. Of course, if you have more than one child, it gets way more hopeless and painful.

Mick

Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM

42,766 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Sure someone will pay it off right after they croak. I honestly don't even think anyone here even read the article.

And who will pay off the student loans of a 25 year old who dies? Geezus get a life

Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM

30,207 posts, read 23,620,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Older people already have jobs, some of them good paying. They go back to school to get a promotion, many times. A 19 year old doesn't have a job lined up, (check out the posts all over this forum about that), so again, I put more stock in to an older person being able to pay than a younger person...especially those who seriously think the government should just give them their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events