Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

I am only one generation removed (grandparent) from being granted automatic Irish citizenship. My cousin has dual Irish Citizenship through his Irish born mother.

It is a beautiful country. I certainly would not mind Ireland as a place to retire to. Beautiful country and wonderful people. I have been there a few times to see family still there.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 PM

431 posts, read 449,781 times
I am American but live in Berlin. I'd say most Americans would not like Berlin. Probably most Europeans would not like it , either. However for certain niche characters like myself it's better than anywhere else in the world. Outside of the military, most Americans seem not very adaptable to environments and living situations much different than what they are used to. When I read polls like this I wonder where these people think they would go.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
It's not the ''America'' I grew up with and I feel sad for that.

There's a lot I am proud of, a lot I am ashamed of in this country. But that's just people.

Would I leave it? There's times I have thought about that.

But I will stay and try to do my bit to make for a better neighborhood, better community, better America.

It's my home and I am not going anywhere.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
No one has yet asked.

Is that a third of people in America (US) or a third of citizen's. Anyone ask the illegal immigrants if they would leave?

So far, they keep coming. Can't be all that bad now can it?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am only one generation removed (grandparent) from being granted automatic Irish citizenship. My cousin has dual Irish Citizenship through his Irish born mother.

It is a beautiful country. I certainly would not mind Ireland as a place to retire to. Beautiful country and wonderful people. I have been there a few times to see family still there.
You can get Irish citizenship through through grandparents.
Takes a bit longer then a first generation who has automatic citizenship.
After you get registered in Ireland's Foreign Birth Register then you can apply for an Irish Passport.
I'm doing the below for my son. My father was born in Ireland.

Irish citizenship through birth or descent
If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 PM

129 posts, read 124,137 times
I plan to emigrate from the United States -- to South Carolina. Hold on, wait a minute....

Old 08-01-2015, 03:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
No one has yet asked.

Is that a third of people in America (US) or a third of citizen's. Anyone ask the illegal immigrants if they would leave?

So far, they keep coming. Can't be all that bad now can it?
We're moving to Europe in a couple of years--it's not that great here. I think perhaps one can find a better quality of life elsewhere without having to deal with the whole gun/violence issue.

"Since 2007, there have been more people leaving the U.S. for Mexico than coming here from Mexico, Mr. Passel said. Those departures have been both voluntary and involuntary, as the Obama administration has deported hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants each year."

Undocumented Immigrant Population Levels Off in U.S. - WSJ

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/us...eaving-us.html

Old 08-01-2015, 04:38 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I think a lot of people forgot to pull key facts from the news story.

The producer of this survey was a peep to peer money transfer site and only had 2000 respondents. I’m not really sure I’d consider that a good sample size or even the best channel to conduct such a survey.

A huge chunk of the people surveyed would do it for salary reasons. What were the other reasons?

I would also surmise that a lot of people have dreams of living in a villa in France, a farm house in the UK, a cabin in the alps or maybe riding their Vespa around Italy? We don’t know how the survey questions were formatted so will never know.

The intellectually dishonest love stories like this because they hate America. I often think some of the people that write these surveys must work in quality control at some plant in China slapping fake UL and ISO9001 stickers on everything.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM

286 posts, read 262,688 times
If you saw how most of the third world "lives', you'd know that the US can be a LOT more effed up and still attract 5 billion people. Even 10% of those would make the US the same sort of sewer that they are running from.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Vassil View Post
Most Americans you find abroad are leftist liberals, democrats and they are always putting down their country.
Very true. The expat demographics have changed. Used to be business executives running American interests abroad. Now its daft liberals bad-mouthing the US to gain the favor and acceptance of non-US expats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events