Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 06:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,723,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

This is untrue. ....

Online polls are self-selected and the least scientific of all polls. That this poll was located on a money transfer site based outside the US further skewed the results. My guess is that if the NRA had an online poll about gun control on its website, 99% of its respondents would oppose any controls at all when the most recent scientific polls on gun control suggest that most Americans support stronger background checks and are about evenly divided about whether existing gun control laws are strict enough or too strict.

Uh...there are a multitude of threads about guns/gun control; this isn't one of them.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 AM

922 posts, read 799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I was watching Bill Maher last night and one of his guest was Lawrence Lessig. His platform is to run for President just to fix our broken political system. Has anyone ever heard of him and what do you think of his position?

https://lessig2016.us
Anyone can talk, but getting things done in Washington will be hard to do. The president is just a symbolic figure, the president doesn't have any real power, rich people have the power.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:35 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,146,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Uh...there are a multitude of threads about guns/gun control; this isn't one of them.
My point was that where an online poll is located influences who responds and how they're likely to respond as opposed to scientific polls. It was an example that just about anyone would "get". People who use the money transfer site that the OP cited likely have strong connections overseas since they are sending/receiving money from outside the US, so they aren't particularly representative of most Americans.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,779,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Anyone can talk, but getting things done in Washington will be hard to do. The president is just a symbolic figure, the president doesn't have any real power, rich people have the power.
That is my realization. Something has to be done. The elimination of the middle class is well under way. If there is no representation from the poor or middle class what kind of country will be left? The corporations will truly own the country. And that is why people are leaving the US.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 AM

1,094 posts, read 495,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My point was that where an online poll is located influences who responds and how they're likely to respond as opposed to scientific polls. It was an example that just about anyone would "get". People who use the money transfer site that the OP cited likely have strong connections overseas since they are sending/receiving money from outside the US, so they aren't particularly representative of most Americans.
The poll was conducted by online respondents but was not an "online poll" like those pop-up polls on Yahoo, it was done according to standard survey methods, and even though a wire-transfer service was running it, they took pains to survey Americans who were not actively sending the transfers-- there are a number of articles about this and the survey takers made that clear, it was just a standard old fashioned survey of the broader population. Also the fact that Millennials were so much more likely to want to go overseas shows this isn't just a statistical blip or an artificial result of surveying a selected population, there was a clear increase in desire to leave the US from the group that's been hit by-far the hardest economically. Yes, as a wire transfer service they would have an interest in such results, that's obvious, but all polls in the US are conducted by private organizations with such interest (or contracted by other organizations or individuals with such an interest), the US in general does not have completely neutral organizations doing these sorts of polls.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 495,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
That is my realization. Something has to be done. The elimination of the middle class is well under way. If there is no representation from the poor or middle class what kind of country will be left? The corporations will truly own the country. And that is why people are leaving the US.
So well-said. In my company I was talking to a bright young Belarussian prospect on a Green Card about this very topic-- we had a lot of eastern Europeans working there but almost all of them went back home or to other countries. He said the reason so many Belarussians left Belarus is that they felt their government didn't care and was incredibly corrupt, responding only to the interests of the rich and those who could bribe the politicians, and that this sense of hopelessness for reform is what pushes people abroad.

But then he said that he and the other Belarussians had become deeply disillusioned and disappointed with the US during their work stays and thus were leaving the USA too, as it reminded them of the corruption in Belarus. (He specifically wound up settling down in Sweden.)

I asked him why he felt this, and he said that with all the lobbying of US politicians and promises of lucrative jobs upon leaving office by the same corporations they were supposed to be watching over-- that the US had bribery of politicians even worse than Belarus did. Interesting he mentioned the family-court system in the US which he disliked, some of his friends had been investigated or wound up in divorce and he said it was almost KGB like with all the accusations (and the divorce was unbelievably expensive for his friend due to all the profiteering by the divorce attorneys and the divorce-courts themselves, that bankrupted the couple-- he said this just doesn't ever happen in Europe except in Britain, it's a much smoother process there).

But mainly he like many others also cited the healthcare system in the US which he absolutely hated. He had a young daughter that he'd taken to appointments and kept getting frustrated by all the surprise bills from insurance and providers he and his daughter had never seen, the way health insurance was always finding ways to make excuses to not cover charges and the way he was suddenly not in the network. He said his family was in a constant state of fear about anyone in the family getting sick because no one could predict the medical charges they'd run into or if they'd go bankrupt and lose all their savings-- even though he had very good insurance and was paying high taxes! (Ironically he said his overall tax rate in Sweden would be about the same as the taxes he was paying in the US despite the reputation-- just because he said he had to pay so many more sorts and sizes of taxes in the US at state and local levels and they added up-- and yet in Sweden, he'd never have to worry about going bankrupt from medical bills or the costs of his daughter's college education, if she qualified for college she'd be able to go without cost.)

So we lost this bright, skilled prospect to another country that simply treats its people better and doesn't rip them off for the sake of the profiteers, which I feel like is becoming the fatal flaw of the country-- too much profiteering in areas that should be public services, causing a lot of damage to the people as a whole. It was bad enough seeing all the skilled immigrants in my company deciding the US wasn't a good place to stay for their careers and families, but it's been even more disheartening seeing all the young natively-born Americans also deciding to leave their home country for other places, which we've been seeing a lot more lately. Above all we have to fix this utter mess of a healthcare system, to remove all the parasitic profiteers from it and make it so that no one goes bankrupt from medical care. Until that happens, the United States will continue to hemorrhage talent and the brain drain out of the US will just get worse and worse.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
So well-said. In my company I was talking to a bright young Belarussian prospect on a Green Card about this very topic-- we had a lot of eastern Europeans working there but almost all of them went back home or to other countries. He said the reason so many Belarussians left Belarus is that they felt their government didn't care and was incredibly corrupt, responding only to the interests of the rich and those who could bribe the politicians, and that this sense of hopelessness for reform is what pushes people abroad.

But then he said that he and the other Belarussians had become deeply disillusioned and disappointed with the US during their work stays and thus were leaving the USA too, as it reminded them of the corruption in Belarus. (He specifically wound up settling down in Sweden.)

I asked him why he felt this, and he said that with all the lobbying of US politicians and promises of lucrative jobs upon leaving office by the same corporations they were supposed to be watching over-- that the US had bribery of politicians even worse than Belarus did. Interesting he mentioned the family-court system in the US which he disliked, some of his friends had been investigated or wound up in divorce and he said it was almost KGB like with all the accusations (and the divorce was unbelievably expensive for his friend due to all the profiteering by the divorce attorneys and the divorce-courts themselves, that bankrupted the couple-- he said this just doesn't ever happen in Europe except in Britain, it's a much smoother process there).

But mainly he like many others also cited the healthcare system in the US which he absolutely hated. He had a young daughter that he'd taken to appointments and kept getting frustrated by all the surprise bills from insurance and providers he and his daughter had never seen, the way health insurance was always finding ways to make excuses to not cover charges and the way he was suddenly not in the network. He said his family was in a constant state of fear about anyone in the family getting sick because no one could predict the medical charges they'd run into or if they'd go bankrupt and lose all their savings-- even though he had very good insurance and was paying high taxes! (Ironically he said his overall tax rate in Sweden would be about the same as the taxes he was paying in the US despite the reputation-- just because he said he had to pay so many more sorts and sizes of taxes in the US at state and local levels and they added up-- and yet in Sweden, he'd never have to worry about going bankrupt from medical bills or the costs of his daughter's college education, if she qualified for college she'd be able to go without cost.)

So we lost this bright, skilled prospect to another country that simply treats its people better and doesn't rip them off for the sake of the profiteers, which I feel like is becoming the fatal flaw of the country-- too much profiteering in areas that should be public services, causing a lot of damage to the people as a whole. It was bad enough seeing all the skilled immigrants in my company deciding the US wasn't a good place to stay for their careers and families, but it's been even more disheartening seeing all the young natively-born Americans also deciding to leave their home country for other places, which we've been seeing a lot more lately. Above all we have to fix this utter mess of a healthcare system, to remove all the parasitic profiteers from it and make it so that no one goes bankrupt from medical care. Until that happens, the United States will continue to hemorrhage talent and the brain drain out of the US will just get worse and worse.
Someone did add up all the various "taxes" we pay in addition to income tax and it was astronomical.
Anywhere from 40-70% depending on what state you lived in.
Few people actually realize their full tax burden and the MSM only fixates on the one Fed income tax.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post

A lof of people have this grass the greener on the other side mentality, it is completely foolish, human nature is pretty universal, you are just running away from yourself.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 6,311,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If we continue to have administrations in the White House like the present, I would consider leaving also. Hopefully, we will do much better in 2016. Something has to give, we have hit rock bottom. The only way to go from here is up.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay here if the Democrats Communists win again.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay here if the Democrats Communists win again.
This is not a problem with Democrats or Republicans or Communists, it is about a fractured system where rich people have hijacked the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events