Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 07:08 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on leaving, but if the right opportunity arises, I would. Having traveled extensively, I like to reassure myself that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There are too many things that I enjoy and conversely, things that I don't enjoy but make the U.S. unique.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Umm no need to be nasty, but whatever- my location states Bundaberg QLD-not real hard to spot-(must be that awesome "murican education system again). It doesn;t suck, since it's not in 'murica. Jealous much? . I think you'd best stay in #Americasucks
How was that nasty? I simply asked you where the better place was. Then you go on to use the term "murican" so its obvious your hate the USA. Glad you aren't with us.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I say this very sincerely - I really do hope that all those who don't want to live in the US put their money where their mouth is and leave.

So I don't understand that post you responded to either.
I believe most of us who can't stand the US would be gone, if other countries allowed immigration more easily!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not exactly correct?

7 facts about world migration | Pew Research Center

Immigration and Ethnocultural Diversity in Canada

19.1 % of Canadian population is of visible minorities as of 2011

Further: your immigration is predominantly from just ONE source. Breaking that source into sub-categories aids in improving diversity quotient but only to a par with Canada.
Political Calculations: U.S. vs Canada: Comparing Oranges and Apples

Largest U.S. Immigrant Groups over Time, 1960-Present | migrationpolicy.org

In short; using the diversity quotient of the U.S. to explain some anomaly in healthcare stats is reaching, as the U.S. diversity rate as compared to others is not of a notably greater variety.
Yes, exactly correct. You mention Canada's minority rate of 19 percent as comparable to the US rate. Not exactly correct. The US minority rate is nearly double that of Canada's at 38 percent.

Also, the two largest minority groups in the US - those of predominately Mexican descent and those of predominately African American descent - have some of the worst health issues and lowest life expectancy rates, of all minority groups. They also have some of the highest obesity rates. So with double the "visible minority" rate of Canada - which equates to double the higher risk number of people, that's a significant factor - not a "reach."

Old 11-17-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I believe most of us who can't stand the US would be gone, if other countries allowed immigration more easily!
Oh, you can get to plenty of other countries more easily - but you might not like them too much. There are many, many other countries in this wide world that are much, much worse than the US, pretty much across the board. They're not so picky about who they let in.

The countries with extensive social programs usually have much tighter controls on immigration - and for good reason. They count on the long term, sustained tax revenue of their citizens to fund their programs. Hence their very tight restrictions on permanent and legal immigration. Can't say that I blame them.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly correct. You mention Canada's minority rate of 19 percent as comparable to the US rate. Not exactly correct. The US minority rate is nearly double that of Canada's at 38 percent.

Also, the two largest minority groups in the US - those of predominately Mexican descent and those of predominately African American descent - have some of the worst health issues and lowest life expectancy rates, of all minority groups. They also have some of the highest obesity rates. So with double the "visible minority" rate of Canada - which equates to double the higher risk number of people, that's a significant factor - not a "reach."
Not exactly correct.

Your point was one of diversity bringing challenge. My rebuttal was to show it's not diversity causing the U.S. a problem but rather, two particular groups you earmark as dragging you down.

The fact your problems are so neatly tied up in only two minority groups should in fact make it easier for the U.S. to effectively deal with them, shouldn't it?

You identified TWO particular minorities as being a problem while comparing those other countries who have many MORE than two minority groups, making them MORE diverse, as somehow deriving an advantage from that.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not exactly correct.

Your point was one of diversity bringing challenge. My rebuttal was to show it's not diversity causing the U.S. a problem but rather, two particular groups you earmark as dragging you down.

The fact your problems are so neatly tied up in only two minority groups should in fact make it easier for the U.S. to effectively deal with them, shouldn't it?

You identified TWO particular minorities as being a problem while comparing those other countries who have many MORE than two minority groups, making them MORE diverse, as somehow deriving an advantage from that.
The US has DOUBLE the percentage of minority citizens as Canada.

How do you suggest that the US "effectively deal with" the genetic predispositions and lifestyle choices of it's citizens?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Oh, you can get to plenty of other countries more easily - but you might not like them too much. There are many, many other countries in this wide world that are much, much worse than the US, pretty much across the board. They're not so picky about who they let in.

The countries with extensive social programs usually have much tighter controls on immigration - and for good reason. They count on the long term, sustained tax revenue of their citizens to fund their programs. Hence their very tight restrictions on permanent and legal immigration. Can't say that I blame them.

We are saying there are countries much 'B-E-T-T-E-R' than the U.S. ,why the hell would we want to go to a third world nation?

We would go to one of the many B-E-T-T-E-R nations, IF, IF, IF they allowed immigrants, you said so yourself-they don't, so why even bring up the crappy countries?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
The US has DOUBLE the percentage of minority citizens as Canada.

How do you suggest that the US "effectively deal with" the genetic predispositions and lifestyle choices of it's citizens?
For lifestyle illness in the US people are given pills.

The US leads the world in pill taking. We are an unhealthy society no matter how many statistics you post on the web.

Europeans lead a much healthier lifestyle and that accounts for a huge amount here.

Americans would rather pop pills then change their lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
We are saying there are countries much 'B-E-T-T-E-R' than the U.S. ,why the hell would we want to go to a third world nation?

We would go to one of the many B-E-T-T-E-R nations, IF, IF, IF they allowed immigrants, you said so yourself-they don't, so why even bring up the crappy countries?
Because they can only throw third world countries out there to show the US is "superior".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events