Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I bet they were all Conservatives too.

Here is an example of assumptions based on personal bias. Conservatives have always been the more patriotic. If anything they are more inclined to say if you don't love America, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Sure they might not like how the country has been turned into a divisive atmosphere by the divider in chief, but by and large they have a deep love of this country and it's history.

Lastly, most conservatives become that way over time with responsibility, age and experience. The largest demographic wanting to leave according to that poll are younger people, which tend to be much more liberal.

`

Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Canada is nice, they have clean drinking water, and health care.
Canada would be way too cold (climate-wise) for me; however, even if I wanted to live there, the rules are very, very strict and most of us would give up (too bad the USA doesn't enforce the same criteria):

Determine your eligibility – Citizenship

Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't think that the U.S is the best country in the world that's arrogant thinking. I know we have considered moving out of the U.S from time to time & still might. Everyone has & let's be honest things here are not as we would like them to be. Nor are they in other countries either but at least they seemed to have learned what works & doesn't. We are still caught up on what's on the TV instead of getting involved with our government screwing us over. Any other country & they throw them out of office.
Do you consider yourself liberal or conservative?
No luke warm "moderate" answer. Here is the simple question, who do you vote for more in presidential elections. (D's) or (R's)?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
They should all move to Mexico. I understand it's only half full now. No one in America will try to stop them crossing the border the other way.
Tell that to the Federales. Mexico has some of the harshest penalties for illegally entering their country, even accidentally...

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony. The General Law on Population States…

"A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally."

Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate
Well, they better consider keeping their money in their mattresses.

"The U.S. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, which requires businesses to report all assets held by Americans, aims to recoup the hundreds of billions the U.S. says it loses each year from tax evasion. But it's also leading global banks big and small to dump U.S. customers rather than wrestle with the complicated law. "U.S. citizens living abroad are really having a hard time with their banks," said Gerard Laures, a partner in the financial services tax division at KPMG. Proper compliance -- which means reporting everything from basic savings accounts, pension funds, investments, and more -- could easily cost institutions millions each year, he estimated. And penalties are severe; businesses face a 30% tax on U.S.-sourced income if they fail to comply. "Many banks have taken the decision to tell U.S. customers to go away," Laures said."

Banks lock out Americans over new tax law - Sep. 15, 2013

Old 07-06-2015, 07:59 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Here is an example of assumptions based on personal bias. Conservatives have always been the more patriotic. If anything they are more inclined to say if you don't love America, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Sure they might not like how the country has been turned into a divisive atmosphere by the divider in chief, but by and large they have a deep love of this country and it's history.

Lastly, most conservatives become that way over time with responsibility, age and experience. The largest demographic wanting to leave according to that poll are younger people, which tend to be much more liberal.

`
I disagree with this...IMO conservatives are more vocal about how patriotic they are but it's lip service....it was the Repubs spouting "Support the Troops" by waving flags while simultaneously sending more to war for no reason AND slashing Veteran's budgets every chance they get.

The liberals like me who supported the troops by trying to keep them from going over to Iraq in the first place, and continually vote for the pols who truly do support the troops and the vets by putting their money where their mouth is, we got called "un-patriotic".

It's easy to wave a flag or put a yellow ribbon magnet on your truck, it doesn't make you a patriot. JMO.

I don't believe that poll, btw. People can and do leave the country every day. If a third of American's really wanted to leave, they would do so. It's just something that sounds blowhardy and tough to say but it's all lip service.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Canada would be way too cold (climate-wise) for me; however, even if I wanted to live there, the rules are very, very strict and most of us would give up (too bad the USA doesn't enforce the same criteria):

Determine your eligibility – Citizenship
You do observe those criteria for everyone other than illegals from south of you....those you regularly overlook and even grant amnesty, driver's licenses etc.

Submit a Petition

Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
What's wrong with considering leaving? I've considered it often and everyone should make their decision on what's best for them. I've lived and worked in a dozen different countries and currently working in Peru.

I also own a condo on the Mediterranean in southern Spain so that is an option to live if I so decide. Even though the condos in an expat haven beautiful resort area, it's still cheaper to live than most of the USA.

Still I plan to stay in the USA as my main residence due primarily to family, otherwise, Spain is a tempting option to stay.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with this...IMO conservatives are more vocal about how patriotic they are but it's lip service....it was the Repubs spouting "Support the Troops" by waving flags while simultaneously sending more to war for no reason AND slashing Veteran's budgets every chance they get.

The liberals like me who supported the troops by trying to keep them from going over to Iraq in the first place, and continually vote for the pols who truly do support the troops and the vets by putting their money where their mouth is, we got called "un-patriotic".

It's easy to wave a flag or put a yellow ribbon magnet on your truck, it doesn't make you a patriot. JMO.

I don't believe that poll, btw. People can and do leave the country every day. If a third of American's really wanted to leave, they would do so. It's just something that sounds blowhardy and tough to say but it's all lip service.
I don't see a conflict between wanting to support our troops and them going off to war. You're not making any sense here. They wouldn't be troops if they weren't going off to war in the first place. They are supporting their patriotism for being willing to fight for this country.

Where is your proof that the GOP is slashing Veteran's benefits? From what I understand any action taken on that was to eliminate fraud.

Wanting to leave this country and being able to do so are two different things. There are a lot of considerations and other countries have immigration laws and policies also.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Seems to me if the USA gets real bad, where else is going to be safer? People tend to look at other countries as if they have it together and will want Americans to enter, when America erupts.

I have a feeling many are going to be surprised they really have no place to go. On top of they spent time and money preparing to leave and did nothing to prepare for having to stay.

My family and I will either live or die right here in the USA......never even a thought of leaving.
Some people have been predicting the eruption of America since the country was founded.

Despite this, there is no shortage of people from Eastern Europe, Africa, all over Asia ( including China) and Central America willing to do anything to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events