Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
I think the reasons many europeans want to move the US(my experiences differs from yours), is that wages are generally much higher if you are in a highly skilled profession, such as engineering, business etc etc
This. When I worked in France I was alongside other software engineers who made equiv about 40k USD, which is below entry level in USA. They would have easily been earning 90K+ in USA, and cost of living in that area is same same.

They might get better healthcare, vacation, etc. but not for that much difference.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your entitled to your opinion then. I would take that bet.
So would I. Have you ever lived anywhere but USA? Life without Golden Corral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
One more thing like always I don't see anyone else on the forum offering ANY solutions to help fix what's wrong with this country.
You think other countries don't have problems too? One of the problems I've seen you mention is too many Americans spending time on Facebook, have you ever tried to walk down a street in Asia? People walking three wide all using their damn smart phones, every damn time.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So would I. Have you ever lived anywhere but USA? Life without Golden Corral!

You think other countries don't have problems too? One of the problems I've seen you mention is too many Americans spending time on Facebook, have you ever tried to walk down a street in Asia? People walking three wide all using their damn smart phones, every damn time.

I haven't ate fast food in almost 15 years or so. I have been homeless twice in my life, so don't tell me about struggles. AGAIN, I have yet to see anyone offer other alterative to mine. Voting? Um it's not working no matter which party is in office we seem to get screwed over. How much more talking about it are can we do? Yes, the rest of the world as problems just as we do. Yet, our children are behind the rest of the WORLD (let that sink in a min) when it comes to education. The list goes on & yet the I don't see anyone wanting to do anything about it nor offer. I gave my opinion while it might not be the right one I gave one.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Interesting. I always had the impression it wasn't too difficult and have worked with a number of people here from other countries, but don't really have basis to compare, maybe it really is tough.
As someone who has gone through the process, I have a great deal of sympathy for illegal aliens after going through the DHS wringer on the legal side.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult and expensive to go through the process legitimately. The tasks in and of themselves are not difficult, but it is a veritable mountain of paperwork, forms, checklists, certifications and if any of it is incomplete/incorrect/missing, you have to start from scratch. Which could mean literally years of waiting.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As someone who has gone through the process, I have a great deal of sympathy for illegal aliens after going through the DHS wringer on the legal side.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult and expensive to go through the process legitimately. The tasks in and of themselves are not difficult, but it is a veritable mountain of paperwork, forms, checklists, certifications and if any of it is incomplete/incorrect/missing, you have to start from scratch. Which could mean literally years of waiting.
It's time consuming for any country. Yes there are mountains of paperwork to fill out.
Other mountains of paperwork you have to obtain to submit.
And it all must be in perfect order.

Myself and my siblings are dual citizens by birth (Father born in Ireland and emigrated here). So the process is much easier.
Yet..it took me 6-8 months to get birth, death, marriage certificates from various states here.
My brother used that paperwork to apply for an Irish passport. That took 8-9 months.

My son can also get an Irish passport but that takes a different route because he's one generation past an Irish born parent. I have to get him registered in some books in Ireland. That will take about 2 years. Then he can apply for an Irish passport. That will take 8-9 months.

But this process is not too expensive..probably about $500-600 in total.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's time consuming for any country. Yes there are mountains of paperwork to fill out.
Other mountains of paperwork you have to obtain to submit.
And it all must be in perfect order.

Myself and my siblings are dual citizens by birth (Father born in Ireland and emigrated here). So the process is much easier.
Yet..it took me 6-8 months to get birth, death, marriage certificates from various states here.
My brother used that paperwork to apply for an Irish passport. That took 8-9 months.

My son can also get an Irish passport but that takes a different route because he's one generation past an Irish born parent. I have to get him registered in some books in Ireland. That will take about 2 years. Then he can apply for an Irish passport. That will take 8-9 months.

But this process is not too expensive..probably about $500-600 in total.
The total cost for my visa and ultimate green card was well in excess of $20K. That's not to citizenship yet. My initial package for my visa when I entered was literally three inches thick.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:31 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
With so much of the US gripped by the ----ty storms of winter, that leaves me with only SoCal, AZ, and Florida to really run to in the case of not wanting to be driven mad by seasonal weather.
Australia's looking much better to me each day after looking at these weather reports.

No icy roads to deal with, no snow or other life-threatening precipitation to ruin your day?

I'll gladly take some year round heat.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
With so much of the US gripped by the ----ty storms of winter, that leaves me with only SoCal, AZ, and Florida to really run to in the case of not wanting to be driven mad by seasonal weather.
Australia's looking much better to me each day after looking at these weather reports.

No icy roads to deal with, no snow or other life-threatening precipitation to ruin your day?

I'll gladly take some year round heat.
And accept the fact that every form of life there, on and offshore is out to kill or poison you.

Have you seen their spiders?

This is a house spider (huntsman)

Old 12-03-2015, 11:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And accept the fact that every form of life there, on and offshore is out to kill or poison you.

Have you seen their spiders?

This is a house spider (huntsman)
Deadly wildlife is something I'd rather deal with than potentially being trapped in my semi truck should it go spinning off the ice.

Only other alternative to moving out of the country is to get into a different career at this point.
One that doesn't involve operating vehicles that are becoming increasingly difficult to maneuver each winter.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Deadly wildlife is something I'd rather deal with than potentially being trapped in my semi truck should it go spinning off the ice.

Only other alternative to moving out of the country is to get into a different career at this point.
One that doesn't involve operating vehicles that are becoming increasingly difficult to maneuver each winter.
I hear you. I'm a climate refugee from Canada, now living in Texas. I'll never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events