Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Exactly!! Australia is far from perfect, but IDK how people here can defend a country where health care is a privilege, but owning a gun (or 10), is a right. So sad, really Glad to be in a country where every day isn't the OK Corral, and no one loses everything due to an unforeseen medical situation
I've already given you the actual stats about "medical bankruptcy" in the US, but I see that effort was wasted.

And as far as "gun violence" goes, it's very much centered in certain demographics and urban areas. The majority of Americans DON'T live in those situations and don't have anything to worry about when it comes to guns.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

And as far as "gun violence" goes, it's very much centered in certain demographics and urban areas. The majority of Americans DON'T live in those situations and don't have anything to worry about when it comes to guns.
Actually, according to latest census & reuters, the majority of americans DO live in urban areas. https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=5971

More Americans move to cities in past decade-Census | Reuters

Old 12-07-2015, 10:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, according to latest census & reuters, the majority of americans DO live in urban areas. https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=5971

Most Americans have lived in urban areas for nearly a century. One of the notable "changes" in the US population in the 1920 was that more people lived in "urban places" (2500 population in an incorporated area) than in rural areas. Urban areas today are considered much larger for demographic purposes simply because our population is so much larger than it was in 1920.

Furthermore, it's NOT street violence in poor areas of big cities revolving around drugs and crime that has people complaining about gun violence but the rash of random mass shootings in seemingly safe suburban areas in such venues as fast food restaurants, movie theaters, schools, shopping centers, etc.

Claiming that since it mostly impacts the poor and minorities, gun violence is "not a problem" is, at best, callous and disingenuous, and actually, nastily racist as it equates race with violence and crime.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Irony.
another pointless post -considering the source it's no shock

Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've already given you the actual stats about "medical bankruptcy" in the US, but I see that effort was wasted.

ONE medical bankruptcy is too many. Why is that such a hard point to understand? What's even scarier is that you seem to think the U$ Wealthcare system is acceptable, is as the amount of gun violence in america, even if it's centered only in certain areas. Typical arrogant, "i don't care, because it's not happening to me" attitude. Source considered, however.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
The issue is that those 1/3 just won't leave. They are like visitors who demanded to stay but then changed their minds if only something better came along.

What does it take?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

I didn't just say "urban areas" - you picked only one of my points. Here's what I said:

Quote:
certain demographics and urban areas. The majority of Americans DON'T live in those situations
Sadly - and I say this as a woman with a very diverse immediate family - the combination of urban areas and some demographic groups (including income level, race, ethnicity, etc) is where the most danger is when it comes to gun violence - and that's the issue I was addressing.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Most Americans have lived in urban areas for nearly a century. One of the notable "changes" in the US population in the 1920 was that more people lived in "urban places" (2500 population in an incorporated area) than in rural areas. Urban areas today are considered much larger for demographic purposes simply because our population is so much larger than it was in 1920.

Furthermore, it's NOT street violence in poor areas of big cities revolving around drugs and crime that has people complaining about gun violence but the rash of random mass shootings in seemingly safe suburban areas in such venues as fast food restaurants, movie theaters, schools, shopping centers, etc.

Claiming that since it mostly impacts the poor and minorities, gun violence is "not a problem" is, at best, callous and disingenuous, and actually, nastily racist as it equates race with violence and crime.
The issue isn't racism, Linda. It's a sad FACT that homicide rates are significantly higher in certain ethnic groups and income categories, and since population is more dense in urban areas, the danger within those groups is concentrated largely in those urban areas.

The violent crime rate, including the homicide rate, has gone down steadily each decade - and nearly every single year- since the highs of the 1970s. In fact, those rates went down again in 2014. I haven't looked it up by race but I'm assuming that the rates have gone down in each ethnic/racial group as well, since they're down so significantly overall. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The issue is that those 1/3 just won't leave. They are like visitors who demanded to stay but then changed their minds if only something better came along.

What does it take?
Possibly a bunch more terrorist attacks like San Bernadino and they will be heading out.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:16 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate
2,000 out of 318 million. Not exactly an accurate sampling, I'm thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events