Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 10:32 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Don't include me in your 'we'.

I like the artistic product of plenty of celebrities, but I am also acutely aware of the character flaws of some of the actors and musicians and other artists whose output I mostly highly value. And it's that artistic product, that output, not the celebrity, that I revere.

I am well aware of the legions of celebrity-worshippers out there, most of whom are too clueless to comprehend that the characters they see are not the people behind those characters. Brush aside whatever you want, but don't pretend that all of us are on-board that crazy train with you.
Can't rep ya, but yup.

I think it's getting worse and worse, too, the adoration and obsession with celebrities and characters.

I remember when the Chris Brown/Rihanna thing happened, so many, including an ex, not only brushed off what he did, but they defended him and anyone that said otherwise was just a "hater".

"Chris Brown can beat on me any day."

A celebrity can get away with, or at least their reaction isn't as harsh, when they do something wrong. I remember lecturing my ex about this.I basically said, "I know you're a huge Chris Brown fan, and I'm not saying boycott his music, but don't be a hypocrite. We both know if some guy beat up your friend in the same fashion, you would be out for his blood. But because Chris Brown is a celebrity and you don't know the abused party personally, he gets a pass."

And obviously, society puts these people on a pedestal and help feed the invincibility, arrogance and ego many celebrities have. I'm amazed at how easily a person can "love or be in love" with some celebrity they don't know, yet it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to say that to an actual loved one.

How many people say, I don't care what Adrian Peterson or Ray Rice did, I just want them on my fantasy team, or I don't care if Chris Brown beat the bleep out of a woman, he's still sexy and makes good music?

If a normal person and a celebrity commit the same heinous act, there is no good reason why the reaction to their acts should be different.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

/Rant.

Last edited by ATG5; 07-08-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Don't include me in your 'we'.

I like the artistic product of plenty of celebrities, but I am also acutely aware of the character flaws of some of the actors and musicians and other artists whose output I mostly highly value. And it's that artistic product, that output, not the celebrity, that I revere.

I am well aware of the legions of celebrity-worshippers out there, most of whom are too clueless to comprehend that the characters they see are not the people behind those characters. Brush aside whatever you want, but don't pretend that all of us are on-board that crazy train with you.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Bill Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex | abc7.com

Figured it might be nice to have a thread WITHOUT all the naysayers who thought over 40 women were lying for no personal gain, just to be humiliated in public.....

Apparently you are illiterate.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM

404 posts, read 385,612 times
I feel bad for his wife. He's sick!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Bill Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex | abc7.com

Quote:
"When you got the quaaludes, was it in your mind that you were going to use
these quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with?" Troiani
asked.

"Yes," Cosby answered.

"Did you ever give any of these
young women the quaaludes without their knowledge?" Troiani asked.

His own admission on his intent prove his guilt.

No need for a trial, his own words are enough, not to mention the SOL ran it's course.
Does anyone know the context of the quoted conversation above? Had one of the women filed charges back in 2005 and these questions were from an actual trial? Or a deposition? And how did this conversation recently come to light?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Does anyone know the context of the quoted conversation above? Had one of the women filed charges back in 2005 and these questions were from an actual trial? Or a deposition? And how did this conversation recently come to light?
a 2005 Deposition was released.

cosby deposition - Bing Images

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
On Monday, a decade-old deposition became the talk of the nation.
As we reported, in it comedian Bill Cosby admits that he gave sedatives to at least one woman whom he wanted to have sex with.
The deposition was given by Cosby during the discovery phase of a civil lawsuit against the comedian. At the time, the judge presiding over the case sealed the records of the case while lawyers from both sides gathered evidence. While that was going on the two parties came to a settlement, signed a confidentiality agreement and the temporary seal — and the case for that matter — was forgotten.
So, how and why did this deposition become public now?

The Cosby Revelation: How A Decade-Old Deposition Came To Light : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Cosby is an embarrassment to men and a hazard to women.

Sadly, he is hardly the only one.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
A court has NOT found him guilty. Only a court can find one guilty. He hasn't been charged either. When will people stop beating this dead horse? When the man is dead? Geesh. It's as bad as the Paula Deen wackos.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A court has NOT found him guilty. Only a court can find one guilty. He hasn't been charged either. When will people stop beating this dead horse? When the man is dead? Geesh. It's as bad as the Paula Deen wackos.
Bill Cosby is not guilty of rape in the same way that O.J. Simpson is not guilty of murdering his ex-wife and Casey Anthony is not guilty of murdering her daughter. Perhaps anyone clueless enough to think that legal standards of guilt must govern logical non-legal presumptions therefore concludes that O.J. and Casey have never killed anyone. But, frankly, I can't say - because I have no earthly idea what compels people to run interference for a man who is obviously a serial rapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events