Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 05:59 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ah, here comes the ole crop picking argument again. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops. The other 97% are doing jobs that Americans will do. Even for crop picking there are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL, foreign crop pickers. Some greedy growers use illegals instead to increase their profits instead of using those visas. Then they cry that their crops are rotting on the vines when they get busted using illegal alien labor instead. So you were saying????
I'm not picking it.

Here this is the situation from the growers perspective in my state which I'm sure isn't completely unique to my state they are crying labor shortage. I'm not convinced it is all about greed sounds like a genuine problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/us...ence.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:20 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm not picking it.

Here this is the situation from the growers perspective in my state which I'm sure isn't completely unique to my state they are crying labor shortage. I'm not convinced it is all about greed sounds like a genuine problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/us...ence.html?_r=0
Why aren't they using the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers? Yes, it's greed. They don't have to provide benefits for them and their social costs are then passed unto the taxpayer. The growers can't do that with those here on a visa.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-11-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 07:33 PM
AFP

Quote:
Why aren't they using the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers?
They do use it there's a lot of hiccups with that program. The growers can't always get the pickers when the crop is ready last month there was a computer glitch that stalled 1,000 pickers. It's an inefficient program.

Visa Glitch Stalls Workers, Straining U.S. Farms - WSJ

Old 07-11-2015, 07:37 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
They do use it there's a lot of hiccups with that program. The growers can't always get the pickers when the crop is ready last month there was a computer glitch that stalled 1,000 pickers. It's an inefficient program.

Visa Glitch Stalls Workers, Straining U.S. Farms - WSJ
Then the glitches need to be worked out but that doesn't justify them breaking the law by using illegal aliens instead. It's just an excuse to hire illegals over visa holders. One glitch does not justify them hiring illegal aliens for decades. They need to let their congressmen know if there are problems with the visa program.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
They need a decent candidate to get anyone fired up. Not McCain who was calling himself 90% of Bush, not Mitt Flip-Flop Ultra-Rich Romney. Would mass media actually support Ron Paul, instead of shunning him, he could get people fired up.
Or Mike Huckabee, he was "from the people", "by the people" and "for the people".
Not Ron Paul, he's too libertarian and for self determination/responsibility and certainly not Mike Huckabee, he's way,way too religious.

The preceding thoughts were brought to you by the national media and their shills, any thoughts contained therein are not representative of the poster...

Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM
AFP

Quote:
Then the glitches need to be worked out but that doesn't justify them breaking the law by using illegal aliens instead. It's just an excuse to hire illegals over visa holders. One glitch does not justify them hiring illegal aliens for decades. They need to let their congressmen know if there are problems with the visa program.

Yep I'm sure they have he stays well informed from what I can tell that's a huge part of the economy in my part of the state. Immigration reform would be great.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Ah, here comes the ole crop picking argument again. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops. The other 97% are doing jobs that Americans will do. Even for crop picking there are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL, foreign crop pickers. Some greedy growers use illegals instead to increase their profits instead of using those visas. Then they cry that their crops are rotting on the vines when they get busted using illegal alien labor instead. So you were saying????
Which also would lead me to believe the statistic that says "Labor costs are only 10% out of the total cost to harvest produce".

So a head of lettuce goes up .10 cents if legal people are used, so what? I'd pay it...

Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Trump came down South and said something like that about a man's wife he'd get his tail whupped.

What a buffoon.
Even if it is true. Look at when the Hispanic problem started. I think Trump is right on the money with the statement and no it is not very nice to say it but the Hispanic influx started years ago when Papa Bush was Vice President. I think the Bush Family is the biggest reason we have the Hispanic problem. As far as I am concerned he can marry anyone he wants to but the biggest problem this country has is the open border. I would vote for anyone that will fix that if they really want to do it. I am tired of lip service. I want action. Any person here without legal papers is a criminal.

I have heard some news agencies talk about sending back the criminals. Yes, send back all the criminals. That means anyone who is here illegally.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
If Trump really wants to win, he has to learn when to talk and when not to talk. Coming off as boorish as a good way to alienate people.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Even if it is true. Look at when the Hispanic problem started. I think Trump is right on the money with the statement and no it is not very nice to say it but the Hispanic influx started years ago when Papa Bush was Vice President. I think the Bush Family is the biggest reason we have the Hispanic problem. As far as I am concerned he can marry anyone he wants to but the biggest problem this country has is the open border. I would vote for anyone that will fix that if they really want to do it. I am tired of lip service. I want action. Any person here without legal papers is a criminal.

I have heard some news agencies talk about sending back the criminals. Yes, send back all the criminals. That means anyone who is here illegally.
Trump has it wrong for one major reason. It was Reagan who first started amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events