Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

This makes my blood boil. Since when do people have to pay to be a member of a church? In the methodist church you are a member until you request your membership be transferred to another church. She was a member for 50 years and was older than dirt and she is refused!!! Not a thing Christian about this.

Addicting Info – Pastor Refuses To Bury Woman Because She Didn’t Tithe Enough While In A Coma (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This makes my blood boil. Since when do people have to pay to be a member of a church? In the methodist church you are a member until you request your membership be transferred to another church. She was a member for 50 years and was older than dirt and she is refused!!! Not a thing Christian about this.

Addicting Info – Pastor Refuses To Bury Woman Because She Didn’t Tithe Enough While In A Coma (VIDEO)
I don't like churches/organized religion, and this is an example of why. Many churches are, in reality, a business... and a tax-free one at that. Something like this doesn't really surprise me. Hope the family can make arrangements somewhere else.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
That's mighty Christian of him.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,914 times
When I used to go to church, I would get so mad when the pastor had an ENTIRE SERMON dedicated to tithing. SMH. They tell you if you don't tithe, you are not a member of the church. LOL

Old 11-26-2014, 12:22 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

He's not a real Pastor. He's an uncompassionate fraud.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
wouldn't accept an i.o.u?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
The minister did say about sending a dollar. He mentioned bylaws that probably say you must be a contributing member to be buried there. I know of churches, actually every church I know of, where you have to give to be a member. They don't say how much. Tithing is a post reformation protestant cult thing.

When my mother could no longer go to church I took her envelopes about once a month. I took her last one the day after she died. I've had old members call me to pick up their envelope on my way when they couldn't go.

I see there is a discrepancy on the time she was away. I agree with the pastor and put it on the family. Otherwise anyone that ever went to that church, left for years, could be buried there.

I have given up on organized religion but it had nothing to do with things like this. I do have to agree with the pastor.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:29 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
This doesn't surprise me one iota. I recently attended a Day of the Dead (Dia de Muertos) ceremony at a cemetery in a small village in Mexico where they ask a priest from some local Catholic church to recite a mass at the event. Before he started, he lectured the poor villagers on how they need to pay him more $$ if they want a mass to be recited at the ceremony. After he said he needed more $$, there was an uncomfortable silence and a lot of people hanging their heads low. These people can barely afford to buy socks and shoes to keep their feet warm and this doofus wants them to pay more money next time so he can speak to them. They already pay for it--they pay what they can. Afterwards, I told my villager friends to kick him to the curb--that they really don't need him to reside over an event to remember their dead loved ones. Afterall, they have lovely, non-Catholic traditions that are just fine for this day of remembrance. A lot of them agreed, but some did not. The Catholic church has these people so scared and afraid of ever saying anything against it. It's sad.

The kind of story in this thread (and mine above) are fine reminders why I would never join a church.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:38 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
When I used to go to church, I would get so mad when the pastor had an ENTIRE SERMON dedicated to tithing. SMH. They tell you if you don't tithe, you are not a member of the church. LOL
That's when you walk out the door. That would never happen in my church. It's small, and most of the people are broke. Hell, the church is broke. But we manage to make it every year and help others who have less besides. A church is not supposed to be about money.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 PM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Churches are scams for sheepish people......

1. they promise unverifiable things (heaven for example)
2. they prey on people's fears (hell for example)
3. they base everything on a book written thousands of years ago, written in many languages and interpreted by people today....what could go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events