Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The exact question stabbed me between the eyes 1000 times. WhoTF is she?
She does children's music, the 12 year old girls like her. If you like Courtney Barnett then Ariana would probably make you want to poke out your eardrums with a knitting needle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 10:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
https://youtu.be/8G6BNwueFdg

She posted a new apology video entitled, "sorry babes" [sic].

I don't accept her apology at all. She seems to be in damage control mode in terms of her career. She didn't seem sincere to me. If you hate the country and people who made you famous, then don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:22 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Mariah was/is a woman, that unknown kid is a useless brat.
Mariah Carey was about 20 when Vision of Love became a hit. And without years on TV behind her either. At this point of their relative careers Grande is hundreds of times more well known

Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
I knew the name, and knew she was a teeny bopper singer but was unfamiliar with any of her work. I just listened to 2 recent songs. She is ok but nothing great. Certainly not to be compared with any iconic singers. She has an annoying tone, imo. Hard to tell though, it could just be heavy use of auto-tune. There are certainly many better singers currently releasing songs.

I don't know if she will ever manage to achieve long term popularity. Apparently she is just a voice and a body and not many make it purely on those as there is an endless stream of younger versions. As long as she has the teen fan support she will do fine, much like Bieber, regardless of any deviant behavior. Hell she has probably started a craze where teens run into a store and lick things. Seriously. When the younger teens lift up a new idol and the older teens grow up and into real music they will most likely both wind up on the sidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
She seems like a d-bag.

But it is ironic that the same people who complain about the "PC Police" are absolutely incensed by her comments. "Free Speech!!!," don't you just love to say that when someone makes anti-________ (fill in with gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.) comments? Exhibit A: Pam Geller. You also love to say, "Aww, don't be soooooo sensitive." and "Heck, this country is becoming so PC, I have to get out of here". Hmmmm, double standard much? We should be able to express anything, however vile, right? Or are only certain things that you consider precious off-limits? Boo-hoo.

Dare not talk badly about America, its military and personnel, or you get a severe backlash . . . . are we living in Nazi Germany? Who gives a crap what this little poop says after licking a donut that she hasn't purchased?

And for those telling her to go back to her country . . . . she'd have to go back to Florida, apparently.

Peace.

Mick
PC is anti-free speech. Thats why people complain about it. That you should be free to say whatever you want and that you should be free to disagree with something said are not mutually exclusive.

PC moves from the realm of disagreement to a point where it becomes criminal to say certain things. People not buying a product because of the creators views is very different from kicking the same person out of a college or even into jail.

PC leads to codified "Hate Speech" laws. Very slippery slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Let's be clear as to what was said:  “Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas.”

If saying that about the president is considered un-American, than every single con on this forum is un-American & then some.
The real deal was the perception of the way it was delivered. The could have had the guts to say it in the US, maybe they would have still been boycotted and maybe not. Other country stars made anti-war statements and songs and suffered no backlash, so it is possible. Instead they do it slyly in front of a foreign crowd probably thinking it wouldn't reach home. They also stated it in a way that appeared they were on foreigners side as opposed to a US side.

They are free to say what they want. Unfortunately for them, due to their heavy dependence upon the very crowd most likely to find their comments offensive, a very effective boycott was arranged that ended their country music career.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
I'd like to see her lick an eclair.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'd like to see her lick an eclair.
I read that wrong at first, had to glimpse again. Lmao. I need to go to bed.

Ariana is meh, the only thing I know her for is dating Big Sean. Her comments don't offend me, and I agree with MTQ. Everything is PC until it offends you.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:24 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Comparing her to Mariah Carey is beyond asinine; Mariah was the definitive artist of the 90s at top 40:radio even while it began the worst decade in its history as the format lost dozens of stations between 1989-2000 as country radio exploded nationwide alongside Smooth Jazz and Hit AC stations.

Top 40 radio today isn't nearly as popular as it was in 1990, let a!one the three previous decades.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:46 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
https://youtu.be/8G6BNwueFdg

She posted a new apology video entitled, "sorry babes" [sic].

I don't accept her apology at all. She seems to be in damage control mode in terms of her career. She didn't seem sincere to me. If you hate the country and people who made you famous, then don't let the door hit you on your way out!
I can't tell if she is sincere or not. I would have to say that only time will tell.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:14 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Comparing her to Mariah Carey is beyond asinine; Mariah was the definitive artist of the 90s at top 40:radio even while it began the worst decade in its history as the format lost dozens of stations between 1989-2000 as country radio exploded nationwide alongside Smooth Jazz and Hit AC stations.

Top 40 radio today isn't nearly as popular as it was in 1990, let a!one the three previous decades.
Mariah Carey at 21 however was a picture on the album cover showing her legs and breast as opposed to Grande showing her legs, with one hit song. Along with the public image of someone who had stage fright and would not tour or do the normal Soul Train American Bandstand lip sync appearances. It was only after marring her boss and doing MTV Unplugged that her career could be seen as greater than what Ariana Grande has accomplished at the same relative age.

Did Grande spike her career and end it? Time will tell.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
The exact question stabbed me between the eyes 1000 times. WhoTF is she?
Ariana Grande net worth: Ariana Grande is an American singer and actress who has a net worth of $16 million dollars.

Maybe, she should go live in the Middle East for 6 months and see how her thoughts would be received.

We all have learned that "America has made some major steps in the last few months"

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...nde-net-worth/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events