Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM

19,781 posts, read 12,014,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
What ignorance? Yes, there've been a lot of people in this thread who are critical of the south, and as is always the case a lot of the Southerners are all pissy about it, but - where are we wrong? We've cited a lot of factual data and statistics demonstrating that once you get outside major metro areas like Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, etc., the South lags way behind most of the rest of the country in terms of health, education, poverty, and numerous other metrics, and a lot of people clearly haven't been happy to hear about that, but - are we wrong?

Southerners don't like hearing all that about their home, and I can understand that. I probably wouldn't either. But the OP asked an honest question, and he got honest answers. Not our fault you don't like to hear it. It's not like we all ganged up on y'all and made all that up just for the hell of it.
Are you in Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Depends on which part of the NorthEast. Metropolitan areas like NYC, Boston, DC etc. are popular as ever and even moreso. Its the interior parts that are declining as baby boomers/ retirees move away to warmer parts of the country. Why would you want to put up with such horrible winters if you had a choice.
Even in the interior parts of the north, there are some places doing nicely, such as the Twin Cities, Madison, Columbus(OH), Omaha.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,594,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are you in Kentucky?
Yes sir, we are indeed.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM

19,781 posts, read 12,014,953 times
Quote:
Yes sir, we are indeed.
It's ma'am. Wouldn't that make you part of the south?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
The topic was modern positives about the south, and the most recent side discussion was the 'new south.' Yet you're bringing up the Confederacy, which has not existed for 150 years. Most of the comments about Texas status is that SE Texas is 'southern' (meaning culturally southern) but the rest of the state is either 'Texan' or 'southwestern.' In addition, being in the confederacy does not imply 'southern culture' today.
But you see, I think you've unwittingly put your finger on a big part of the problem. You're right, the Confederacy was defeated 150 years ago - but that is not to say that it no longer exists, at least in the hearts and minds of a huge number of people down here.

I live in a small town in Kentucky. I'm on my way out to get a haircut, and I'll pick up some groceries on the way home. By the time I get back in an hour or two, I absolutely guarantee you that I'm going to have counted at least 20, maybe 30 confederate flags - on license plate holders, bumper stickers, or just giant 3x5 foot flags planted in the bed of pickup trucks or even peoples' yards. The town has a big parade every summer, and the confederate honor guard gets a standing ovation at least twice as loud and as long as the Union honor guard.

I'd spent a lot of time in the South before moving here, but I was still unprepared for how many people down here refuse to accept the fact that they lost that war. They simply refuse to let go of it, and they're downright proud to still consider themselves rebels standing in opposition to the Yankees. So no, I'm afraid I disagree with you to some extent - the Confederacy of 150 years ago is still a major factor in modern southern culture. And I think that explains a hell of a lot about why the South is what it still is.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,324,745 times
College football.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
What ignorance? Yes, there've been a lot of people in this thread who are critical of the south, and as is always the case a lot of the Southerners are all pissy about it, but - where are we wrong?
You have already indicated that you have no direct personal experience with any of this. So there is nothing to prove. You state uninformed opinion.

Furthermore the only one "pissy" that I see is you in making broad generalizations about a region of 100M people. As I said earlier, the problem isn't with the 100M.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me. You don't won't admit it.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
But you see, I think you've unwittingly put your finger on a big part of the problem. You're right, the Confederacy was defeated 150 years ago - but that is not to say that it no longer exists, at least in the hearts and minds of a huge number of people down here.

I live in a small town in Kentucky. I'm on my way out to get a haircut, and I'll pick up some groceries on the way home. By the time I get back in an hour or two, I absolutely guarantee you that I'm going to have counted at least 20, maybe 30 confederate flags - on license plate holders, bumper stickers, or just giant 3x5 foot flags planted in the bed of pickup trucks or even peoples' yards. The town has a big parade every summer, and the confederate honor guard gets a standing ovation at least twice as loud and as long as the Union honor guard.

I'd spent a lot of time in the South before moving here, but I was still unprepared for how many people down here refuse to accept the fact that they lost that war. They simply refuse to let go of it, and they're downright proud to still consider themselves rebels standing in opposition to the Yankees. So no, I'm afraid I disagree with you to some extent - the Confederacy of 150 years ago is still a major factor in modern southern culture. And I think that explains a hell of a lot about why the South is what it still is.
Ahh and you think the entire South is like the small rural town in Kentucky where you live. It's not.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It's ma'am. Wouldn't that make you part of the south?
Damn. I knew the minute I typed that that it was guaranteed to come back and bite me. Please forgive me. I should never have presumed.

But yeah, technically I am. For now. I have no choice for a few years; family circumstances prevent us from moving.

And in the meantime, there are a lot of things I do like about the area and the people. I won't deny that I'm looking forward to leaving, but I won't pretend that there aren't things I'm going to miss a lot. This is an experience I'll remember the rest of my life, and no, I don't mean only when I feel like making some "dumb southerner" joke. I'll always be the richer for having lived here. But in reply to the OP's questions, I just had to call 'em as I see 'em.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Please tell me why an influx of northerners, largely retirees, moving here to buy what they consider cheep property and save $$ on taxes while using more services than they contribute to and complaining about, well lots of things, or more competition for jobs or additional government benefits is progress for the south. Personally, though many overly religious and conservative attitudes I could do without, I don't see where the south needs progress. Like much of the north is something to strive for.

Rude? Your pretty thin skinned. I don't know about you but I have heard plenty of colorful words and negative stereotypes given to people from the south.

What the heck. Because we don't want to be exactly like the northern states with their own set of problems and we say if you hate the south so much, oh well, stay up north you say we are fighting a civil war.
I'm sure those of you with that attitude would be just tickled pink to have an invasion of southerners moving into the north to help you with, you know, making it a better place.

Well, many want to move because of lower housing (which has driven up land prices) and much lower taxes than the state they left, some because of less government restrictions (related to lower taxes), some for the weather. Many because they just like it better here for various reasons. I don't see the businesses and money, most in my area are retired and live in gated communities.

Of course not, I'm a half-breed myself. Its not that transplants are bad on an individual basis, I just don't agree that having a great influx of people with different, IDK, someone said heritage, is necessarily a progressive or a positive thing. Especially if many feel their "heritage" is superior and feel a need to degrade local people and change things. Its kind of like the great influx of illegals. On and individual basis they are some great people and friends but as a whole it can be overwhelming on services and infrastructure of communities and have a negative net impact. Diversity is great and so is change in moderation but not so much that a place wants to lose their identity and become something else.

Every region has it unique "heritage" and we all have room for improvement.
You know what? It was rude. I grew up in the south and quickly grew tired of being called a yankee. They ARE still fighting the civil war.

I've since left the south but don't have any problem when I meet Southerners and I don't refer to them as "Rebels' or "Confederates' or whatever the counterpoint to 'Yankee" would be.

We all do have a unique heritage but the south seems FAR more invested in it than the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events