Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times

Advertisements

Conservatives really have no idea when to shut up about things; angrily boycotting something makes people want to watch it more. The Tea Party trying to get people to boycott DaVinci Code, Family Guy, Ellen, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Dixie Chicks just made all those things more popular since normal people like to stick it to uptight hypocritical holier than thou busybodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Conservatives really have no idea when to shut up about things; angrily boycotting something makes people want to watch it more. The Tea Party trying to get people to boycott DaVinci Code, Family Guy, Ellen, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Dixie Chicks just made all those things more popular since normal people like to stick it to uptight hypocritical holier than thou busybodies.
Well, at least Chik-Fil-A is toast.

That's SOMETHING.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

That's SOMETHING.
Maybe where you are.

Not in my vicinity.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I was listening to a report the other day saying millennials receive 90% of their news information via social media.
If that truly is the case, prepare to be transported back to the Dark Ages of Enlightenment over the next 25 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not sure what social media outlet you get your information from, but Chik-Fil-A won American Customer Satisfaction Index's Annual Restaurant Survey this year.

Quote:
In its first year on the list, Chick-fil-A took the lead as the most popular fast-food restaurant in the rankings. The chain scored 86 in customer service, the highest the survey has ever recorded for a fast-food restaurant.

Yep. Sounds like their "toast" to me.

Quote:
Conservatives really have no idea when to shut up about things; angrily boycotting something makes people want it more.
You are correct. However, I believe it was the liberals who "angrily boycotted" Chik-Fil-A, and look what kind of "negative effect" that had. I would also expect the sale of Confederate flags, Washington Redskins merchandise and General Lee models have also spiked as of late.

Last edited by Annuvin; 07-13-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm a Black man and I would actually watch that show. We need the conversation. I don't see what the big deal is.
Not knowing how old your parents are, I cannot say this with any certainty. However whether it be your last generation, or your grandparents, I don't they would feel the same way you would.
The current grievance merchants have convinced people that we must somehow dissect every little aspect of life as it relates to race. "Micro aggressions" or even "nanoaggressions" that no one is even aware of.
I can only assume such nonsense came from the drugged out losers of the 1960's who are now the ones in positions of power within Hollywood, TV and news media, and certainly college campuses.

What many of the sheep do not realize is that such shows only set us back as a country, not move us forward.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
A "white people" show is the norm on TV (see the current lineup and past shows like "Friends") and all that is generated by Hollywood. It has been this way since the existence of TV. To actually have a show designated as a "white people" show, is so damn Confederate-like. It's like screaming "white power" - which is done by skinhead, Ayran Brotherhood, Klan, Conservative, and white supremacist groups in this country. There is no place for this.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
The guy who said Chick-fil-A is toast was being sarcastic. He was letting you know that liberals weren't able to hurt the fast food giant, and that maybe, just maybe, their outrage helped its popularity. Wow, when did people stop recognizing sarcasm.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it works like that. Our whole cultural (d)evolution over the last generation or so has been based on the defiant declaration that white heterosexual Christians can't tell us what the he!! to do. There's no real sticking it to the man aspect to defying any outrage coming from that demographic anymore. While on the flip side there is a lot of that aspect towards defying the PC police nowadays which is why, as others have pointed out, people are buying confederate flags and chick-fil-a chicken sandwiches in large numbers, and is even a driving force behind the popularity of unlikely political frontrunners like Donald Trump. The cultural phenomena that was designed to fight oppression has become the oppressive force in and of itself, as demonstrated by the numerous social media campaigns aimed at destroying the livelihoods of people who dare to say things that go against the current dominant cultural mores.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The guy who said Chick-fil-A is toast was being sarcastic. He was letting you know that liberals weren't able to hurt the fast food giant, and that maybe, just maybe, their outrage helped its popularity. Wow, when did people stop recognizing sarcasm.
I've been online since before bulletin boards. Sarcasm is never reliably recognized online, which is why emoticons were invented. That's also why Poe's Law was articulated.

Personally, I use irony tags: <Fe> and </Fe>

Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Is Al Sharpton writing and producing this show?

Black Lives Matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events