Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 04:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Will separate races even exist in another few decades? I don't really give two hoots what your complexion is. Martin Luther King nailed it when he said that ". . .content of character. . ." would be used to Judge not ". . .color of skin. . .". Culture is important and SOME cultures are more equal than others.
Man, I was with you up until the very last phrase.

Don't judge. When it comes to cultures, "comparisons are odious", as John Lydgate said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Based on prior interactions, you seem like a pretty well adjusted, intelligent person. I'm curious why strong gun advocacy so often goes along with this belief. I've just never understood why the two so often coexist in the same person.

I don't think it's "dividing the country" to point out the institutional, systemic privilege white people have, even if individuals do not actively perpetuate it.

The election of a black president really brought a lot of this issue. Just look at the Obama Birther movement. They were perfectly fine with Ted Cruz, an actual immigrant with only one American parent, running for president. That means the whole issue of Obama's birth certificate was just pure racism against a black man in office.

Now, I've experienced plenty of outright racism from black people, myself. It's not a one way street, but I don't get why making a documentary exploring white people's relationship to race issues is dividing us.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Hilary was the first person to bring up the "birther " question. The "wonderful" Katie Couric got that taught to her. If you think they have given a pass to Ted Cruz, you are MISTAKEN.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:39 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,570 times
One of the show's taglines is, "Let's all get uncomfortable together."

How can that be for the common good of anything?

Old 07-11-2015, 04:39 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
I wish we could all get rid of this "us vs. them" mentality and dialogue openly about our experiences. Black people are not better than white people. Straight people are not better than gay people, or vice-versa. Men are no worse than women. Atheists are not better than religious people. The able are not superior to the disabled. We are all unique. I wish we were all willing to sit down at a round table and talk about our experiences, genuinely get to know each other, and find common ground. We would probably walk away considering one another as friends, not enemies or unapproachable "others." Can we all start communicating, enjoying our differences, being proud of ourselves, and breathing easily knowing the world is a lot friendlier than what we were taught?

Alas, the answer is a resounding "no" if we let the mass media have its way. It only pays lip service to the idea of tolerance. Its real agenda is divisive. Look at what they've done on other fronts. If you aren't for the ideology du jour, you're an outcast. These stereotypes place such damning limitations on all of us, though. We all melt into this indistinguishable blob that does, says, and acts the way the ads tell us to. We eventually lose our identity as humans and become easy to influence and control. Can't we do something?

Last edited by krmb; 07-11-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM

16,553 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I can't believe that no one has supposed that this show is trying to start a dialogue about 'race' in America. To read into it such nefarious motives as 'reparation priming' or 'white shaming', etc., etc. is really just...unfortunate. I immediately saw an attempt to just get people to talk. Is it too much to ask that people 'chill' and just communicate? Good grief.

Here is the problem when liberals and/or the grievance/race merchants want to have a so called "open discussion of race".
They expect a one way dialog with everyone agreeing with their false narrative. Any viewpoint not in lock step is subject to ridicule, name calling/labeling(i.e. ____ist), and will eventually be shouted down.
By some of these kooks very premise, white people are evil, oppressive, and must be made to understand they are responsible for the sins of their great great grandfathers.

What is worse is that when you bring up some of the following factual arguments that run counter to their half-baked ideas, you are derided as being insensitive or racist;

A) Not all white people can be generalized as being guilty, because in this country, even the sins of the father do not transfer to the son. Much less 3+ generations ago.

B) Not all white people are descendants of slave owners, with many having nothing to do with it, or having emigrated here after slavery was abolished.
So even if the grievance merchants want to be paid for past injustices, they are basing it only on skin color, not factual responsibility.

C) You do not see them generalizing whites that not only had nothing to do with slavery, but that fought and died ending slavery. Their sweeping generalizations = evil, but no sweeping generalizations = good. Why is that?

D) Not all blacks are descendants of slaves, so why by virtue of their skin color do they automatically get generalized into the group who does.

The list could go on, but you get the point.

Our recent racist AG (Eric Holder) called Americans cowards for not discussing race. He like the aforementioned, only wants a one way conversation and anyone in opposition must knuckle under and be silenced. Who in their right mind would ever agree to such a discussion when you know the tactics of the politically correct speech/thought police

`

Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
One of the show's taglines is, "Let's all get uncomfortable together."

How can that be for the common good of anything?
Oh, I don't know. Divorce lawyers might find it inspiring.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
From what I'm seeing, this is not a show for white people, but about white people. Along the lines of white privilege and how we're all so lucky to wake up each day in our little world surrounded by unicorns and rainbows while the rest of the country suffers because of it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it would be more of a white shaming show.
And this is OK with you? A show about how "we're so lucky to be white"?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And this is OK with you? A show about how "we're so lucky to be white"?
No, not at all, you misunderstood what I wrote. Definitely NOT okay with this.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:19 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Here is the problem when liberals and/or the grievance/race merchants want to have a so called "open discussion of race".
They expect a one way dialog with everyone agreeing with their false narrative. Any viewpoint not in lock step is subject to ridicule, name calling/labeling(i.e. ____ist), and will eventually be shouted down.
By some of these kooks very premise, white people are evil, oppressive, and must be made to understand they are responsible for the sins of their great great grandfathers.

What is worse is that when you bring up some of the following factual arguments that run counter to their half-baked ideas, you are derided as being insensitive or racist;

A) Not all white people can be generalized as being guilty, because in this country, even the sins of the father do not transfer to the son. Much less 3+ generations ago.

B) Not all white people are descendants of slave owners, with many having nothing to do with it, or having emigrated here after slavery was abolished.
So even if the grievance merchants want to be paid for past injustices, they are basing it only on skin color, not factual responsibility.

C) You do not see them generalizing whites that not only had nothing to do with slavery, but that fought and died ending slavery. Their sweeping generalizations = evil, but no sweeping generalizations = good. Why is that?

D) Not all blacks are descendants of slaves, so why by virtue of their skin color do they automatically get generalized into the group who does.

The list could go on, but you get the point.

Our recent racist AG (Eric Holder) called Americans cowards for not discussing race. He like the aforementioned, only wants a one way conversation and anyone in opposition must knuckle under and be silenced. Who in their right mind would ever agree to such a discussion when you know the tactics of the politically correct speech/thought police

`

Well, racism is still around, but it's the fault of society and the media, not individuals. The crime individuals perpetuate en masse is not standing up to the idea that only one side of the story matters. We're open to dialoguing, but it's supposed to be a "dialogue" meaning a "two-sided talk." Too often, we get only one side of the story from the media. Can't the educated people of the United States say "enough is enough." We're allowing all legitimate sides to have their say, regardless of what other people think of it? Need I remind you that in other countries the popular songs are often about political positions and movements that need to take place? Perhaps America needs a little more perspective? We need to hear from the disadvantaged Black child and the poor white girl who gets bullied every day. All sides matter.

Last edited by krmb; 07-11-2015 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,769 times
The Commiecrats are taking their cues from Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events