Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM

563 posts, read 523,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
This season fur seems to be in and nobody not even Peta is saying a word about it. A while back Peta was very critical of Lady Gaga when she was seen wearing fur but now when it is being promoted by fashion designers and celebrities alike it means nothing? Even Peta is silent now that Katy Perry not only is seen wearing it but has become a paid spokesperson for fur posing for an advertisement wearing nothing but a big fur coat . Instead of being critical of her all the articles about it say is how sexy it is.Nothing about cruelty to animals! Even Peta appears to be letting it slide . I know they can be a little out there sometimes but at least they care about issues like this at least they used to. What is going on? Does anyone still feel strongly against weariing fur ? I personally have lost respect for Katy Perry.

Is anyone else disappointed ?

Katy Perry’s Newest Moschino Ad is Here — And It’s Steamy! (PHOTO) – Style News - StyleWatch - People.com

https://animalsmatter.wordpress.com/...ount-the-ways/

Nine Shocking Fur Facts | Features | PETA

What is a hot pop star to wear? Burlap? Do you really think that anyone cares what PETA thinks? My dog may care, but he does not pay the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
In china, inhumane is exactly how they are killed. there are no animal protection laws whatsoever, no humane standards, anything goes. And there is no real way to avoid buying fur from china. Fur farms in the US have been fined for not complying with humane standards. Fur farms here and elsewhere are basically fur factory farms. The US, Canada and Russia still use leghold traps, conibear traps, snares and drowning traps to catch hundreds of thousands of wild animals every year. Those traps are absolutely inhumane. I can't imagine any caring human being would want to support any of this for fur, a vanity item and "status symbol".
Everything you mentioned is true. I didn't imply they weren't in my previous post.

But 'humane' is both a recent human phenomenon and one with a quite variable definition as to what constitutes humane treatment. Much of the world still has no great distaste for a quick but bloody end to an animal's life. A 9 pound hammer blow to the forehead of a cow is just as lethal as the stun guns that replaced the hammer, and just as likely to miss the killing blow as the hammer. The only difference is in the human using either; the hammer is much more tiresome than the stun gun, and a lot less noisy that a pistol, the other alternative to both.

Cutting a sheep's throat when done right is as fast a death as a gunshot, and a lot less wasteful of the carcass, and a lot bloodier. A hammer blow is less likely to kill a sheep, as sheep grow horns, and have harder, smaller skulls.

Americans have developed a sensitivity to blood spilling, but that has not slowed our on inhumane treatment of the animals we use. Have you ever seen what goes on in a poultry processor?

And, when it comes down to it, what's the difference between meat and fur other than our own purposes for their use?

I think it is a matter of respect and the lack of it. I was raised on a ranch. At a very young age, I learned all the cattle we cared for would end up on a dinner table, and their skin would end up on human feet or covering a human body, or a surface for seating.

All my family's lives were concentrated on keeping our livestock healthy and happy, as happy cattle are worth more than unhappy cattle- they weigh more when they're happy. We inflicted no unnecessary pain.

But at the same time, we slaughtered and butchered our own first, and used our own first. I never ate much meat that came wrapped in plastic on a plastic tray that came from a grocery store. Skinning was a messy job, but one that could buy a new pair of shoes when the hide was sold. None of our animals ever knew their end was coming, and none ever suffered for more than a minute.

After my first trip to a processing plant, I was saddened ever afterward, not from the deaths, but for the way the cattle were disrespected.

That's the way it still is in most of the world. We have become too disconnected from everything that keeps us alive and comfortable. 'Humane' is what an individual makes of it, but I don't have any rocks to throw at anyone. We all are who we are mostly from where we came from.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Everything you mentioned is true. I didn't imply they weren't in my previous post.

But 'humane' is both a recent human phenomenon and one with a quite variable definition as to what constitutes humane treatment. Much of the world still has no great distaste for a quick but bloody end to an animal's life. A 9 pound hammer blow to the forehead of a cow is just as lethal as the stun guns that replaced the hammer, and just as likely to miss the killing blow as the hammer. The only difference is in the human using either; the hammer is much more tiresome than the stun gun, and a lot less noisy that a pistol, the other alternative to both.

Cutting a sheep's throat when done right is as fast a death as a gunshot, and a lot less wasteful of the carcass, and a lot bloodier. A hammer blow is less likely to kill a sheep, as sheep grow horns, and have harder, smaller skulls.

Americans have developed a sensitivity to blood spilling, but that has not slowed our on inhumane treatment of the animals we use. Have you ever seen what goes on in a poultry processor?

And, when it comes down to it, what's the difference between meat and fur other than our own purposes for their use?

I think it is a matter of respect and the lack of it. I was raised on a ranch. At a very young age, I learned all the cattle we cared for would end up on a dinner table, and their skin would end up on human feet or covering a human body, or a surface for seating.

All my family's lives were concentrated on keeping our livestock healthy and happy, as happy cattle are worth more than unhappy cattle- they weigh more when they're happy. We inflicted no unnecessary pain.

But at the same time, we slaughtered and butchered our own first, and used our own first. I never ate much meat that came wrapped in plastic on a plastic tray that came from a grocery store. Skinning was a messy job, but one that could buy a new pair of shoes when the hide was sold. None of our animals ever knew their end was coming, and none ever suffered for more than a minute.

After my first trip to a processing plant, I was saddened ever afterward, not from the deaths, but for the way the cattle were disrespected.

That's the way it still is in most of the world. We have become too disconnected from everything that keeps us alive and comfortable. 'Humane' is what an individual makes of it, but I don't have any rocks to throw at anyone. We all are who we are mostly from where we came from.
Lack of respect is a great way to describe the way animals are treated in general. And you are so right, if you have respect for animals you won't treat them with disregard and indifference to their suffering. But it seems factory farms and other animal based product producers - and many cultures - don't see them as sentient beings deserving of respect and kindness, but rather as inanimate cash crops or tools to be used and abused at will.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
gross and unnecessary.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Why is it you people have an issue with fur but not leather?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Followed by the question, why is it you people have an issue with leather but not meat?

Not everyone views the issue identically. Some even deny there is an issue despite video evidence to the contrary. It is what it is.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
What is a hot pop star to wear? Burlap? Do you really think that anyone cares what PETA thinks? My dog may care, but he does not pay the rent.
Would you care if someone stole your dog and tortured it and skinned it for profit?

There is a cause, and an effect. Maybe you will see him on the next fashion runway, as a collar or pair of chic gloves. If he's a large dog, maybe mislabeled as a coyote fur jacket - or, worse yet, as faux fur.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's an introduced animal in the tens of millions, that has had a devastating impact on NZ plant and bird species. It has no predators and killing them is the only option.
I was wondering if there was a way to sterilize them? Or do a spay neuter and release program the same way we do with the feral cat population in the US? Just allow them to die out by not producing more young. I found a document discussing this same issue it discusses causing infertility in female possums in NZ and other methods.

Here is a link and a quote from the article :
"The brushtail possum is one of many
introduced mammals that causes severe
damage to native ecosystems and the economy
of New Zealand. Biological control, especially
immunocontraception targeting female fertility,
is potentially an inexpensive, efficient and
humane option for addressing the possum
problem in New Zealand."

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...37&context=hwi

Last edited by vanguardisle; 07-13-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post

Who cares? As though I like pop music. Try clothes not made out of fur.

No one cares what PETA thinks. I care what animals feel. As a male, if I were single, I could never be interested in a woman who was selfish and ugly enough to wear fur.

It's disgusting.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Cows are raised for this and food, so it is accepted. Cows in my area have great lives before they head off to slaughter. China is known for stealing dogs and skinning them for fur. They're stealing people's pets so others can have a fur jacket.

It was reported all those toys at Christmas time with faux fur from China, was dog and cat fur. Some taken from nice, loving homes.........no need for fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events