Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Who cares? As though I like pop music. Try clothes not made out of fur.

No one cares what PETA thinks. I care what animals feel. As a male, if I were single, I could never be interested in a woman who was selfish and ugly enough to wear fur.

It's disgusting.
Like when rich women wore a mink or fox head on their shoulders. What kind of women would even do that! I am sure it would be a women not very informed or content with herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Like when rich women wore a mink or fox head on their shoulders. What kind of women would even do that! I am sure it would be a women not very informed or content with herself.

I know. It's creepy as hell. I had a great aunt who wore a stile where the mouth of the fox bit the tail/ That was how if was fastened.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I know. It's creepy as hell. I had a great aunt who wore a stile where the mouth of the fox bit the tail/ That was how if was fastened.
My aunt had a fox stole with the head still attached. So sad and creepy.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,802 times
fur is one of the best insulators around, and faux fur lacks the taper the shed snow off, due to the fact no machine, or even man, can make the fine taper the fractions of the thickness of paper, so people in cold areas will always go to fur for its practical properites.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM

402 posts, read 369,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
Buffalo (bison Bison) aren't on either the threatened or endangered species list; in fact you can buy bison meat at a store or restaurant.
Yep, and they're friggin' delicious! Tastes similar to beef but with more flavor, and has way less fat and cholesterol but more protein for a given amount of meat.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I was wondering if there was a way to sterilize them? Or do a spay neuter and release program the same way we do with the feral cat population in the US? Just allow them to die out by not producing more young. I found a document discussing this same issue it discusses causing infertility in female possums in NZ and other methods.

Here is a link and a quote from the article :
"The brushtail possum is one of many
introduced mammals that causes severe
damage to native ecosystems and the economy
of New Zealand. Biological control, especially
immunocontraception targeting female fertility,
is potentially an inexpensive, efficient and
humane option for addressing the possum
problem in New Zealand."

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...37&context=hwi
The contraceptive approach has been investigated over quite a long period, but so far hasn't been shown to be effective or practical. Biological control is no longer investigated due to alarm from the Australian government, as mentioned in the article.
I'm not specifically opposed to the fur trade as it essentially no different to any animal based industry. it just needs to be humane, sustainable and environmentally sound.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:01 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
What turned me off to fur was learning that animals were mostly skinned alive, as that produces a more workable pelt for processing.

I havent bought even fur-cuffed gloves since the 80s, and I never will again. I can live with myself for being a meat eater and leather wearer; but I cant live with animals being skinned alive for simple adornment. That would give me nightmares.
Oh my goodness, I didn't know that (fur animals being skinned alive). That's awful. I am the furthest thing in the world from being a rabid animal lover, but I sure couldn't buy a fur knowing the animal had been treated like that. (for the record, I don't have any furs, but only because I just don't much like fur stuff...just not my style)

As long as an animal is treated humanely while living and killed humanely, I don't have a problem with using them for whatever we need them for.

For the record, Katy Perry is nothing to me....not even on my radar, as is the case with all celebrities. I only know what I know about any of them because it is shoved in my face everywhere....TV, magazines, ads, etc. Couldn't care less about them.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:15 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
fur is one of the best insulators around, and faux fur lacks the taper the shed snow off, due to the fact no machine, or even man, can make the fine taper the fractions of the thickness of paper, so people in cold areas will always go to fur for its practical properites.
I bet there are plenty of people in cold areas who reject fur and wear alternatives that are just as effective, plus washable, no special storage required, much more reasonably priced, and no killing required, such as polar fleece and other thermal insulation clothing.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,939 times
If you see someone with Fur - pour paint on them or just shoot em saying you thought it was an animal you were hunting. After a few people are dead -the rest will be scared off.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
I like animals, I do.

I also eat animals and wear their skin.

We farm animals for food and for closing. If you feel that while farming animals we treat them inhumanely, pass the necessary legislature.

A jacket made of fur or leather is allot more biodegradable then then one made of plastic.

Rabbit is food and his fur is closing. Cow is food and her skin is closing. Chicken is food, her eggs are food.

Attacking people who wear fur is a crime. Damaging property is a crime. **** me off and I will tattoo something nasty on your forehead !

Although I coudl never figure out people who spend 10k on a fur coat. A winter coat should not cost that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events