Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It seems that some people will never learn. There should be no instances of this kind ever. How in hell can you just forget the baby is in the car?
According to some posters on this forum, YOU are only seconds away from doing this yourself. Even if you don't have a baby. It's like gravity. You can't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. Other readers can castigate us all they want for being suspicious, but we're not talking about just the parents supposedly forgetting. It's also the other four kids, and with the youngest being 11 months old, at least two or three of them were talking age. Certainly one or more of them said, "Mom/Dad, where's Junior?" There has to be more to the story.
We have an 11 month old.
My THREE YEAR OLD knows her whereabouts and would have said something, I guarantee.
He's a big ol' tattletale, but he also is very involved with his sister.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
They should have the baby hold their cell phones, purse, wallet, or in this case, a favorite junk food. They'd notice these things missing in five minutes tops.

Poor baby.

I've said it before, people are so attached to things like purses and smartphones that they should put those items in the back with the baby, if its something that you're used to leaving the car with, make a habit of leaving it back there.

Its like we've become a society of zombies, people are overly attached to all their electronic gadget's but somehow we keep having this situation of babies being left in cars for HOURS over and over again.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well why would they forget A MEMBER OF THIER FAMILY??

Totally sickening!
Seems the baby had to be crying, really this makes no sense.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:34 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
How can someone forget their baby? I can understand forgetting a phone, purse and objects, but children and dogs astound me. And I am someone who half the time never pay attention.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
I cannot understand, having raised kids myself, how a person, in an apartment no less could walk into a room, and not see something to remind them they have a baby, somewhere. A stroller, diapers, crib, baby clothes, etc.

For a solid hour they didn't notice the baby crying for attention, or when they might have gotten hungry didn't see the baby food in the pantry? This whole incident goes against reason in my way of thinking.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I looked up a map of where this is happening. Of course children dying of sunstroke is more apt to occur in the warmer states but it appears that only four states are free of this happening at present.

I suppose it's possible that drugs are involved in some of the cases. We are a nation of prescription drug users.

There are studies about how short the attention span is getting which might be another part of the problem.

It's also possible that we are more self-centered than we used to be. Everybody's thinking about their next immediate gratification and less about the needs of others. Other studies seem to confirm that so it's possibly a factor.

Heat exhaustion and dehydration could also play a part in distractedness.

It's not like parents didn't lose children to inattentiveness in times past. Many a farm child wandered off to drown in the river or be trampled in the pig pen. The reasons in those days may have been different such as too any children to watch while mom had to help with the farm work. Or many more dangerous situations which couldn't be resolved because of the nature of daily living.

Per Capita Statistics - Hyperthermia Deaths of Children in Vehicles

Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Today it prob. was 97 in FL, it takes a very short time for the car to heat up.

Many yrs ago I heard a story of someone who doted on his small dog who he took to work. The dog was in a crate in the back seat. He pulled up to work and was served w/ divorce papers. Any other thoughts he had went out the window til much later i n the day when he got a call and realized the dog was still crated in his car. The dog had passed hours before, he was heartbroken. Granted, there were extenuating circumstances, it was a tragic event.

I feel so sorry for this family. While I've never forgotten a baby, child or dog in a car, I have forgotten to pick up something I specifically went out to get, it's easy to get distracted and I can understand in this day and age where we rush, rush, rush, how it can happen. Not making any excuses and granted it does seem odd both parents forgot. Just very sad.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:05 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
As a parent with an infant, the "separation anxiety" instinct seems to indicate that forgetting about babies was a major problem in the course of evolution - whereas accidentally leaving them in a sound proof box outside the house is a relatively new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
They should have the baby hold their cell phones, purse, wallet, or in this case, a favorite junk food. They'd notice these things missing in five minutes tops.

Poor baby.
Except people do not, which is why we have thousands of people able to feed drug addictions prowling cars. Definitely different than leaving a baby, but it's naive to think people are more protective of their objects than kids. That is definitely not the case. Otherwise you'd see a significant trade in unattended babies in areas that have high rates of car prowls. What's worth more, an iPhone or an infant?

Last edited by mkarch; 07-12-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Dear god; I couldn't agree more! Stupid signs that suggest the rest of the world must pay special attention because someone else has a kid in their car?

I have contemplated getting a sign that says "no child on board, drive like you normally do".

Parents today are so inundated with make-busy crap in their lives that we're constantly reading things like this.

Going to work and forgetting to drop the kid off at the daycare, then coming out to their car after 8 hrs of work and finding a dead child..

Distracted driving kills; so to does distracted parenting.
You guys do realize the point of those stickers is to let emergency responders know there is a baby in the vehicle right? There are different precautions to take with infants and responders must act fast...Use your goddamn brain and do some research before you open your gaping cavern of stupidity that is your mouth......jesus christ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events