Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

It happens, but many troops now require an adult from each family also register, which brings that to a quick halt. The Scouts as babysitter issue was a much bigger problem with Cubs than it's ever been for Boy Scouts in our community, and Cubs, for the most part, don't camp. We had a couple of family campouts each year, but then the parents and siblings were along anyway, and every boy slept in his family's tent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 AM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Do you inquire about the sexuality of every person your children come in contact with? Do you ask it of all of their coaches/teachers/religious leaders/school administrators? Can you be 100% positive that those people when asked are telling the truth?

I don't personally care what your feelings are. You are allowed to dislike gay people if you choose. I feel it's rather close minded and bigoted, but whatever, different strokes for different folks. I just find it funny that you think that it actually matters what their sexual orientation is and/or that you have a right to even ask the question.
"I dont have the right to even ask the question".So i am just supposed to go along with everything the pro gay lobby says?.So much for free speech and freedom of choice.I am sometimes bigoted,racist,biased,homophobic.Show me someone who has never been any of these things and i will show you a liar.I am comfortable with that.Me being the aforementioned occasionally has caused no harm to any one apart from maybe hurt feelings. aaaaaa didums.That's the way i am wired which if i am correct is the mantra of the lbgt brigade.Why would you lie about being gay if your are so proud of being gay?."Walk it like you talk it".Thankfully i still have a choice but accept that in the future this will no longer be a parents call.We are on a slippery slope to an "anything/anyone goes society".

Old 07-29-2015, 04:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
So i am just supposed to go along with everything the pro gay lobby says?
No. We're supposed to model honorable behaviors for our children, including acceptance that not everyone must live in accordance with the same beliefs as we do and yet they could still be good people, worthy of dignity and respect, just like everyone else.

We're on a path where bigotry is on the defensive. That's a vast improvement over when I was a boy.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
It's about time.

They've had gay scouts and gay leaders for years anyway, why pretend otherwise?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
"I dont have the right to even ask the question".So i am just supposed to go along with everything the pro gay lobby says?.So much for free speech and freedom of choice.I am sometimes bigoted,racist,biased,homophobic.Show me someone who has never been any of these things and i will show you a liar.I am comfortable with that.Me being the aforementioned occasionally has caused no harm to any one apart from maybe hurt feelings. aaaaaa didums.That's the way i am wired which if i am correct is the mantra of the lbgt brigade.Why would you lie about being gay if your are so proud of being gay?."Walk it like you talk it".Thankfully i still have a choice but accept that in the future this will no longer be a parents call.We are on a slippery slope to an "anything/anyone goes society".
You have the right to ask but you don't really have the "right" to ask...

You have still dodged the original question. Why does it matter if your child's scout leader or any other coach/teacher they may have is gay? You do know they can't "catch it" from them, right?

FYI...I'm a married (to a woman) father of three.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I have NO problem with gay scout leaders
I DO have a problem with pedophile scout leaders
the two are NOT the same...NOT NOT NOT

I don't care what rules are or aren't in place, if my young son is involved in organizations such as this, I AM INVOLVED too,,,I go on campouts, I go to meetings, I become a scout leader...that's what my dad did...no one in my troop than I am aware of was ever abused or whatever...
That's the thing. A scout master who engages in a sexual relationship with a boy under his authority is likely not a pedophile by the technical definition of the word, especially if the scout in question is a teen (and scouting goes up to age 18 I believe, though it could be higher), though they are breaking the law/trust regardless due to their position over the boy (even if the boy is past the age of consent). But we have seen where the law means nothing to far too many individuals who engage in sexual relationships with minors under their charge.

This is why I have no problem with a ban on gay boy scout leaders. Yes, the ban is overly-broad and would also encapsulate the great majority of gay scout leaders who would not be tempted (or seduced) to engage in sexual relationships with teenage boys under their command. But the ban does help to reduce the number of such cases. Note, for similar reasons, I have a problem with heterosexual male girl scout leaders and heterosexual female boy scout leaders. I am, however, against any ban on gay cub scout leaders; as being gay does not make one more likely to be a pedophile (that's where this discussion comes up), gays should have long been able to serve as cub scout leaders in my view.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Your last sentence is the goal.

The fly in the ointment is when that happens the very same people who demanded it will find they are on the receiving end, something they fought hard for but finding out the unintended consequences, will be loathe to admit that is what they had in mind.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
Quote:
You have the right to ask but you don't really have the "right" to ask...

You have still dodged the original question. Why does it matter if your child's scout leader or any other coach/teacher they may have is gay? You do know they can't "catch it" from them, right?

FYI...I'm a married (to a woman) father of three.
Thanks for the info on your lifestyle choice.Obviously this clears up where your coming from.We can go round in circles with this debate.You think i don't really have the "right" to ask.I think i do.Nobody's right nobody's wrong.Lets move on life's too short.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the thing. A scout master who engages in a sexual relationship with a boy under his authority is likely not a pedophile by the technical definition of the word, especially if the scout in question is a teen (and scouting goes up to age 18 I believe, though it could be higher), though they are breaking the law/trust regardless due to their position over the boy (even if the boy is past the age of consent). But we have seen where the law means nothing to far too many individuals who engage in sexual relationships with minors under their charge.

This is why I have no problem with a ban on gay boy scout leaders. Yes, the ban is overly-broad and would also encapsulate the great majority of gay scout leaders who would not be tempted (or seduced) to engage in sexual relationships with teenage boys under their command. But the ban does help to reduce the number of such cases. Note, for similar reasons, I have a problem with heterosexual male girl scout leaders and heterosexual female boy scout leaders. I am, however, against any ban on gay cub scout leaders; as being gay does not make one more likely to be a pedophile (that's where this discussion comes up), gays should have long been able to serve as cub scout leaders in my view.
This is rather twisted logic. By your train of thought here, a man could never coach a girls sport, a woman could never teach a boy, etc. all because they might have a desire to have sex with them? These situations exist all the time where a sexual encounter is possible between a person of authority and a person in their charge. Straight man coaching girls sports, woman teaching boys, gay man teaching boys, gay woman coaching girls, etc. Very, very few of them ever end up in a sexual encounter.

Those who are attracted are classified for that preference...

Pedophilia is attraction to pre-pubescent children (10 and younger).
Hebephilia is attraction to pubescent/early adolescent children (11-14).
Ephebophilia is attraction to late adolescent teens (15-19).

I just find it odd that we would ban people from positions of authority over children or teens because we are afraid that they might have sex with them, despite that being a very rare occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Your last sentence is the goal.

The fly in the ointment is when that happens the very same people who demanded it will find they are on the receiving end, something they fought hard for but finding out the unintended consequences, will be loathe to admit that is what they had in mind.
We've been on that slipper slope for millenia...look what happened when we stopped burning the witches...

Quote:
Thanks for the info on your lifestyle choice.Obviously this clears up where your coming from.We can go round in circles with this debate.You think i don't really have the "right" to ask.I think i do.Nobody's right nobody's wrong.Lets move on life's too short.
Well, you sort of implied that I was arguing as a gay man, which I am not, but I do have friends who are. I am also a parent, so I do actually have to make these decisions and deal with these situations.

You are still ducking the question.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
This is rather twisted logic. By your train of thought here, a man could never coach a girls sport, a woman could never teach a boy, etc. all because they might have a desire to have sex with them? These situations exist all the time where a sexual encounter is possible between a person of authority and a person in their charge. Straight man coaching girls sports, woman teaching boys, gay man teaching boys, gay woman coaching girls, etc. Very, very few of them ever end up in a sexual encounter.
Ideally, yes. The bottom line is that removing potential temptations promises to cut down on abuses. I already acknowledged that such bans would be overly-broad as the great majority of people affected by the ban are just fine. But that point is of little comfort for those people (and their families) who are taken advantage of. Now, can you do this in every situation? No, it wouldn't be feasible. Still, its an ideal. May not be yours, but I'm not here to change your mind, only to state my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events