Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:46 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So Garner should have died for resisting arrest? For a misdemeanor?
You are the one who brought up race in a previous post hence my post.
It's like some of you read every other word in these posts.

No one is saying that Garner "should" have died; what some of us are saying that he died as a consequence of his own actions. The cops did not intend to kill him, nor are they directly responsible for his death --his death was caused by a myriad issues which were preempted by his own resistance. If he doesn't resist, then the chain of events (which he medically contributed to) wouldn't have lead to his death.

The cops specifically looked for those crimes in that area of town because the former Chief of Department Phillip Banks specifically ordered them enforce those types of crimes.

What part of that don't you understand?

The Ex-Chief of Department Phillip Banks ordered them to enforce those types of crimes because he was specifically given information from the store owners from where Eric Garner hung out in front of about those types of activities that included undercutting their cigarette sales.

The Misdemeanor was enforceable. He was known to the police for this exact same crime in the past--he knew it was illegal.

You can clearly see in the video that he very well articulates that he is NOT going down without a fight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
6 mil is nothing for NYC. They already tax the rich there, it's not Texas or some place like that. 45% of the tax base comes from Wall Street.
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised myself. This was a very high profile case, where in the court of public opinion--that cop has been pretty much ended up on death row.

I was absolutely sure that the city was going to cave and give the family something like 50 mill after they requested 70 mill.

Personally, he shouldn't have gotten a dime IMO. And in fact--I think the city or Daniel Pantelleo himself, should have filed a counter law suit against the family and all of those organizations who came out in "support" of this charade. I mean they unscrupulously ruined this man's career and his life over a deliberately politically driven false narrative.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:34 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's easy to blame the police when you don't have to try to arrest or subdue an overweight man who is trying to hit at you. The officer broke his employer's rule, not society's or the law's. He did not intend to kill Garner, and he arguably did not kill him, either.
An unarmed man should not be dead for that type of crime.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:36 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's like some of you read every other word in these posts.

No one is saying that Garner "should" have died; what some of us are saying that he died as a consequence of his own actions. The cops did not intend to kill him, nor are they directly responsible for his death --his death was caused by a myriad issues which were preempted by his own resistance. If he doesn't resist, then the chain of events (which he medically contributed to) wouldn't have lead to his death.

The cops specifically looked for those crimes in that area of town because the former Chief of Department Phillip Banks specifically ordered them enforce those types of crimes.

The Ex-Chief of Department Phillip Banks ordered them to enforce those types of crimes because he was specifically given information from the store owners from where Eric Garner hung out in front of about those types of activities that included undercutting their cigarette sales.

The Misdemeanor was enforceable. He was known to the police for this exact same crime in the past--he knew it was illegal.

You can clearly see in the video that he very well articulates that he is NOT going down without a fight.

And part of -- you shouldn't be dead for that misdemeanor -- don't you understand.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And part of -- you shouldn't be dead for that misdemeanor -- don't you understand.
He isn't dead for that misdemeanor, he's dead because he committed another misdemeanor (resisting arrest) which preemptively caused him to contribute to his own death.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It is a fact that Garner resisted arrest, accused the cops of harassment, and was hitting at the cop who was trying to cuff him. You can't try to change the story and known facts to prove your opinion on the matter.

This "scared black dude who didn't want to go back to jail for a misdemeanor probation violation" had already been arrested before for selling these loose cigarettes and knew they were illegal, yet continued to do so anyway. This is why he accused the cops of harassment, it wasn't the first time he'd been arrested for it. He was known by the cops as someone who did this, in that particular location. You think he would have learned...

The cops weren't trying to prove they were tough, they were trying to subdue a fat guy who was resisting their justified arrest. They probably didn't think putting him on the ground would kill him. Forcing perps down is something cops do all the time if they resist. It's not unusual. The ME couldn't even rule an exact cause of death, which is why three causes were listed on the death certificate. The "chokehold," compression of his chest, and underlying medical issues. Any one, combination, or all could have been it. You resist, yeah you might suffer, and yeah you might die. Oh well.
hmmm...the video i saw reflects Garner saying "please stop...i can't breath!" The dude was on the ground with 6 cops (or so) with tasers, pepper spray surrounding him???

--Hello? (guess no one's home)

"Words of surrender" don't mean anything to Sadist(s).
117 Countries Slam American Police Brutality at UN Human Rights Council !

Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,433 times
Quote:
He isn't dead for that misdemeanor, he's dead because he committed another misdemeanor (resisting arrest) which preemptively caused him to contribute to his own death.

I didn't see him 'resisting' arrest. I saw him asking why is he being stopped. As an American citizen when you ask an officer why, one does deserve an answer.

Also Garner was being harassed daily, according to his family who allegedly put in a complaint.

EMS was also part of the reason the city settled. They did nothing except watch as this man died. No CPR, no oxygen, nothing.

If that were my family member, no matter his criminal history, I'd do the same.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
What crime was he committing when the cops approached him? This is why relatives have to hit the taxpayers hard because they blindly support BAD cops. You are an enabler of bad behavior.

Also, what is so hard to understand that the THUG cops violated procedures. The choke hold was outlawed and the medical examiner said it was the caused death resulting in a homicide.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
The family says that its not about the money but about justice. Fine, then either decline it or have the city make the check payable to a charity of your choice. Maybe use it to build a youth center, etc.

Last edited by louie0406; 07-15-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I won't be speaking to any more people who do not know the basic facts of this case. You make yourselves look like fools defending him and what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events