Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 10:28 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I am in my sixties, I know many women my age who had an abortion back 30 plus years ago. not one regrets it.
I knew a grandmother in her 70's (back in the 90's) who grew up in a communist country would tell her grandchildren that she and her sisters had numerous abortions, like 15-20 each. There were no birth control pills back them. This Grandma was not regretful at all. She was very glad she had those abortions.

I also had an aunt that had 19 pregnancies and most of her children died after they were born. She lived in a rural area with no power, running water and of course no access to medical care. I guess those were kind of post partum abortions. I don't think those deaths affected her either.

I think people need to realize that some people think differently than others. I don't for a minute buy that most people having abortions regret it. Some might regret it in the future but that really depends on your personality type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only a person a massive ego won't be able to admit when they do something selfish.

I'm selfish a lot. I even admitted that concentrating on having fun at Spring Break instead of joining a friend who used his time with Habit For Humanity was selfish. I'll even say that have my own child instead of adopting a foster child is selfish; however, it's less selfish than those without any kids not adopting because they want to concentrate on themselves.

At what specific point does a fetus become a person?

Would you say that a fetus at 39.5 weeks and still in the womb is a person?
At viability, outside of the womb.

That said, I believe late term abortions are needed in cases where the life of the mother is at risk or the fetus is deformed.....and that should be decided by the woman and her doctor, not the government.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I realize this is far outside the norm. Don't care.
Oh, yes you do. You are being purposely hyperbolic and incendiary because you care very, very much...about getting attention. Sorry about your parents.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why? Why on earth would I regret a decision that I know was absolutely the right and correct thing for ME to do? I later had a son...and that son is the absolute joy of my life. If I had made a different decision ea rlier, I might not have had this joyful person in my life today. I have no idea what my life would have been like. But I do know that I never EVER would regret ANY decision that might change the life I have today.
As I said in my post, I am glad that most women do not live with regret. But for me personally, I could not do it. Although it may be a fetus, in my mind, once the process has begun, all the building blocks are in place so to speak. The genes that determine personality, temperment, etc., it's already a process taking place, developing the uniqueness of an individual. Regardless of the stage of development, that alone would haunt me. But I don't expect others to feel as I do. I support a woman's right to make her own decisions about her body. I just wouldn't be able to make the decision to have an abortion myself.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM

774 posts, read 745,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
The baby sure knows that one second things have been warm and nurturing and the next it is being crushed, ripped apart, burned, with unthinkable pain.

And surely the devil dances with every human sacrifice made. For now.

The pro sacrifice/abortion crowd is no better, no more sophisticated, or learned, than the primitives now and in the past who sacrifice humans for favor.
This is where you are confused. There is no "baby". It doesn't feel warm or nurtured. it doesn't know what a second is or the meaning of crushed, ripped, burned and it doesn't feel pain. It is a parasite unable to sustain life on it's own. BTW - whenever anyone uses the devil as part of their anti-abortion stance; it negates anything of any value that they might have added to the conversation.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:42 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
This is where you are confused. There is no "baby". It doesn't feel warm or nurtured. it doesn't know what a second is or the meaning of crushed, ripped, burned and it doesn't feel pain. It is a parasite unable to sustain life on it's own. BTW - whenever anyone uses the devil as part of their anti-abortion stance; it negates anything of any value that they might have added to the conversation.
And deluding yourself that the babies pain receptors are not functional, that temp receptors are not functional, makes you wrong.

And yes, abortion does remind me of primitive human sacrifice. The survivors wanting something for themselves, so they kill a human.

BTW - whether you are offended by the mention of a devil or not, I still find abortion for convenience evil.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Where does life begin then? If the fetus isn't the beginning of life, what is?

Old 07-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Where does life begin then? If the fetus isn't the beginning of life, what is?
When it can live outside of the host body on it's own.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
And deluding yourself that the babies pain receptors are not functional, that temp receptors are not functional, makes you wrong.

And yes, abortion does remind me of primitive human sacrifice. The survivors wanting something for themselves, so they kill a human.

BTW - whether you are offended by the mention of a devil or not, I still find abortion for convenience evil.
I'm not deluding myself. I'm going by facts not emotions. You are wrong. I'm not offended, I think it's funny. I also know that it makes everything else you say irrelevant since you're dealing from emotion and not logic or fact.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:03 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Oh, yes you do. You are being purposely hyperbolic and incendiary...
Somebody's gotta do it. I don't subscribe to the "I'm pro-life personally but support a woman"s right to choose" or the "abortion is terrible but occasionally necessary" memes. These non-committal, lukewarm, apologetic views and other similar ones don't reflect how I think, and I maintain they don't reflect how a lot of people think.

Rather, I subscribe to the "abortion should not be viewed as a last resort or demonized or marginalized or made difficult to do or made out to be some agonizing decision, because I don't think there's anything wrong with it; it is the right choice a lot of the time and we should be embracing it and educating about it and offering financial aid for it and making it readily available" meme.

Judging by the large number of reputation clicks my posts in this thread have gotten, I would guess some people appreciate that, even if they're not anthropic mechanists.

Abortion came out of the alleyway a few decades ago; now it's time for it to come out of the closet and into the mainstream. It's deplorable what my state is trying to do. You're right, I do care. I care in that I think abortion ought to be protected, encouraged, and easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events