Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
millions of people disagree with you. to each his own.
Sorry; I take my orders from the One Who gave me life. It doesn't matter to me whether people 'Agree with me' or not; I'm not running for office.

I understand that many here don't believe in God; that's their choice. Obviously, one's view of abortion may be different if one doesn't believe that there are Divine Laws in place mandating how we behave.

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:24 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
[quote=hothulamaui;40477225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Jesus was talking about judging others (judgment belongs to God), not debating the merits of murder (or any other sin). Good grief, woman; if you can't quote the Bible in context then please don't bother. The next sentence Jesus said was, 'Go your way and sin no more.'

Shalom,

Mahrie.[/quote

talk about judgmental the bible and how people quote it or paraphrase it is up to them. who are you to tell people not to quote or paraphrase the bible. take it to the religious folder. this thread is about if women regret or not having an abortion. most do not.
I didn't tell anyone not to quote the Bible; I merely took issue with someone misquoting Jesus.

Obviously, the expression of one's faith, or lack thereof, will strongly prejudice how they feel about anything - including abortion.

Hope this clears up my position on the subject.

I don't judge women who've had an abortion; that's not my place. One of my own daughters has had two abortions (she's now a doting mother of a ten-week-old baby boy). I adore my daughter. I cannot condone what she chose to do, particularly since her father and I said that that we'd take and bring up both babies. She made her choice(s), however, and that's her business. I may not agree with her choices, but I still love my daughter. And yes, she regrets her actions now. In fact, they haunt her.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Jesus was talking about judging others (judgment belongs to God), not debating the merits of murder (or any other sin). Good grief, woman; if you can't quote the Bible in context then please don't bother. The next sentence Jesus said was, 'Go your way and sin no more.'

Shalom,

Mahrie.

That's right. He was also debating the merits of one who had been deemed a harlot (allegedly - scholars debate that too) before an angry crowd that wanted to take God's job into their own hands and stone a woman to death.

God is not Jesus. Jesus is a rather nice forgiving guy - not that he didnt have his moments. God is a hellfire and damnation kind of guy.

If its God's job to judge, and vengeance is his. Wouldn't it be just as damnable to be brazen enough to play God, and assume his role? Wouldnt any true believer fear doing that?

I have sinned in my life, and thanks to a near death experience, I dont believe their is any hell in store for me when I die.

Maybe God reserves hell for the truely evil, and understands his imperfect creation - humans - may have trouble living up to all he set down for them. It doesnt mean they dont try - even if they dont believe, they might still try.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-19-2015 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-19-2015, 09:09 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
No, I'm not psychotic; I'm quoting the Word of God. Fornication and adultery were punishable by death for thousands of years.

Nobody is forced to have a baby. If you don't want a baby, either don't have sex, or use a reliable method of birth control.

The Christian viewpoint - God's Law - is that unmarried people have no business having sex - period.

Shalom,

Mahrie.
There is no specific prohibition in the bible against pre-marital sex and I challenge you to find one. And even if the bible banned it, it would mean nothing to me- I'm not a Christian.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:15 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lord, save me from the self-righteous.

We are perfectly fine with killing human beings.
You don't see groups marching up and down with signs protesting either of the wars are are currently involved in. Though the reasons we are over there in the first place, let alone now, remains a mystery. Nonetheless, we soldier on, and the killings continue.
Folks who should know better are advocating we scuttle the deal with Iran and bomb the hell out of them. Few seem aghast at the thought of another war in the Mideast.
Some are advocating that we get into it with ISIS.
Drones? No problem.
Manufacturing and selling weapons all over the world? No problem.
People get killed every day in our own country with guns that we don't do a thing about.
People die every day because they don't have medical coverage/care. Is there a groundswell of support for seeing that everyone has medical coverage?
I could go on, but you get the drift. We are fine with killing people. The "innocent" are a "casualty of war," or byproduct of our "right to bear arms," or their own darn fault for not having a job with insurance.
So spare me the moral outrage about abortion.
Great post! And add to that list the number of pro-lifers who think the death penalty is just dandy, and the persistent effort to cut welfare benefits for the poor (all of whom have children in order to qualify for the benefits). And...the heartlessness expressed toward the homeless. all of that is A-OK but terminating a non-viable fetus is a major sin which is so horrible that we need to outlaw it Geezus it makes me want to scream

Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
I'll add another post to the "the women I know..."

...who have had abortions felt, for what-ever reason, that it was the right thing to do. I don't know if any of them later regretted the decision, but at that point in time I would say no, they did not. But that is also not say it was not a very tough decision for them to make.

I dated a girl once, who, one night, had what we thought was a miscarriage. Later that night the Dr. informed her that the fetus was still there. It turned out that the fetus was developing in the wrong part of the uterus and that her body would continuously attempt to abort it and that the likelihood of her going to full term was slim and even if she did it would have been a complicated pregnancy. The Dr. asked her what she wanted to do, and I kid you not, he was having this discussion with her (and me) all the while the nurse was trying to show her pictures of "her baby" on the sonograph. Seriously, some people!

The Dr. and nurse gave us some privacy to discuss the matter, and immediately I could tell by the quite soberness of her voice she had already made her decision. However, she wanted my input and opinion; we talked about it for awhile. When the Dr. came back in he didn't seem too pleased with our decision. I mean, not that long ago he was telling us that her body was going to abort it anyways and now here he was laying some type of holier-than-thou guilt trip on us. Then he went a head and did it.

That was some years ago and I still think about that day quite frequently. I am not haunted by the memory or anything, I am more-so amazed than anything. For one, I was extremely grateful that she wanted to hear my thoughts on the situation despite already making up her mind to go a head and do it. That really meant a lot to me and, perhaps ironically, was one of the few times in my life so far when I really came together with another person as one human being to another; no politics, Religion, BS, none of that. And the other is that Dr. I sometimes fantasize that there is a special place in Heck for people such as him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Of course they don't. Cognitive Dissonance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
Wanna talk about cognitive dissonance? Well, okay. If one is antiabortion on moral grounds, in particular of the "taking of an innocent life", than one should also be vegan/vegetarian; or at least into sustainable farming and the like. It seems to me that those who are the most vocal proponents for Pro-Life are also avid hunters. And why are not those who shoot-to-kill "abortion doctors" and/or bomb clinics not considered domestic terrorists?

To continue, the majority of who will disagree with the above are likely doing so based on some preconceived Religious belief. If you don't see the irony in that, then I dunno, God help us all I suppose.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:39 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 422492
Serial killers don't usually feel remorse either.

Both are killing innocent life.

How's it feel knowing you killed a baby instead of giving it to a caring family and allowing it to grow up... due their own selfishness?
I've never faced this dilemma. That said...

I would rather terminate a pregnancy early on than continue creating a life only to dump it into state care, where they often face abuse, neglect, trafficking (in many cases), long-lasting psychological problems, and a grim future (the outlook of foster kids' life after they age out is abysmal. Only 50% finish high school, and only 6% go to college.)

I personally could not feel right condemning a human to that kind of life if I can prevent it. The reality of someone else's potential life outweighs any desire for me to be self-righteous enough to follow 'morals' revolving around an arbitrary definition of life.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
My current girlfriend had a spontaneous abortion at 15, a clinical abortion at 19, and another clinical abortion at 30-something. Not an ounce of regret. She cleared the body of an unwanted parasite. We're both anthropic mechanists though (that means we go beyond being mere "atheists" and hold that our ape bodies are just complicated machines and our consciousness is various disparate processing centers stitched together into an illusion of self).

We've also used the morning-after pill twice since we've know each other (I got a vasectomy on May 22nd and hope to get the "all clear" this Friday!).

The only person I know who regrets her abortion is my mother's friend who had an ILLEGAL abortion before Roe v. Wade. That screwed her up so that she couldn't later bear offspring.

I'm Pro-Abortion. Not Pro-Life, not Pro-Choice, PRO-ABORTION. I think we should be actively encouraging (and paying for) abortions wherever and whenever possible.

I don't believe in love either.
You're "pro-abortion." How very considerate of you, considering that you're not the one who becomes pregnant, and you're not the one who has to endure the procedure. And how convenient for your gf that this alternate form of birth control enabled her to "clear her body of an unwanted parasite." All because she was an irresponsible adult. Twice.

I am a woman who, unlike many women my age and younger, is unafraid and unapologetic to call herself a feminist. But I'm not reflexively pro-choice, and I'm certainly not pro-abortion. How anyone can call themselves that (proudly) is beyond me.

AND who's the "we" who you believe "should be paying for abortions whenever and wherever possible"? Taxpayers? You want other people, including those of us who have always taken precautions to NOT conceive children we're not ready for (which includes, btw, being highly selective about who we choose to have sex with), to pay for YOUR carelessness? YOUR selfishness? YOUR poor judgement? I think not. Nope. You're a big boy; you can pay all by yourself.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-19-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Wanna talk about cognitive dissonance? Well, okay. If one is antiabortion on moral grounds, in particular of the "taking of an innocent life", than one should also be vegan/vegetarian; or at least into sustainable farming and the like. It seems to me that those who are the most vocal proponents for Pro-Life are also avid hunters. And why are not those who shoot-to-kill "abortion doctors" and/or bomb clinics not considered domestic terrorists?

To continue, the majority of who will disagree with the above are likely doing so based on some preconceived Religious belief. If you don't see the irony in that, then I dunno, God help us all I suppose.
That's a completely different issue. It depends how a person feels about killing an animal for consumption. Just because you think an embryo is a life it doesn't mean you think farm animals can think or feel. Some people really don't mind eating meat because they don't think those animals go through any suffering. They were created for our consumption, they say. They think animals don't think, feel etc.

It's the same as those who think an embryo or fetus is incapable of feeling or suffering. How could they have cognitive dissonance when there are no conflicting views?

The problem is thinking everybody sees the same world as you do. I know how I see the world and I see suffering in many places. I also go through a lot of cognitive dissonance. Many animals are carnivore like tigers and lions, so what are we supposed to do with those animals? How can be so sure that we humans are supposed to be vegans when many people have deficiencies or glucose problems with vegan diets?

Now about abortion: Many countries were abortion is banned send women to prison when they have miscarriages. In other cases women kill their babies once they are born. Is banning abortion really worth it? Seems like many women are gonna murder their babies anyway and it's not like it is very easy to track this. Most normal human beings are not gonna be having 5 or 10 abortions, maybe one at most, many are careful enough to not get pregnant or know themselves(that they are gonna regret abortion) and have the baby anyway. Is banning abortion worth the trouble? I simply don't know and since I am not religious I can't ask the Bible for guidance.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:10 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've never faced this dilemma. That said...

I would rather terminate a pregnancy early on than continue creating a life only to dump it into state care, where they often face abuse, neglect, trafficking (in many cases), long-lasting psychological problems, and a grim future (the outlook of foster kids' life after they age out is abysmal. Only 50% finish high school, and only 6% go to college.)

I personally could not feel right condemning a human to that kind of life if I can prevent it. The reality of someone else's potential life outweighs any desire for me to be self-righteous enough to follow 'morals' revolving around an arbitrary definition of life.
As long as you don't think it's a life, I don't see how morals have anything to do with it. It would be just like throwing a rock, it's not a life, you cannot kill what is not alive.

But if you think it's already a life then that's a very strange way of thinking because then you are killing someone when they still have the potential of being happy. So they had 50% or whatever chance of being happy but you are making sure their chances are 0%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events