Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Not after you have killed it there isn't. You can pretend it's not a human being. Many delude themselves in this way , but it's a lie. You do know that in many states a person can be prosecuted for murder for causing the death of an unborn child.
We get your opinion and feelings on abortion. The subject matter was --do most women who have them regret them?

The question was not what is your opinion on abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
We get your opinion and feelings on abortion. The subject matter was --do most women who have them regret them?

People in the future will look on abortion the way people today look at slavery, wondering how people could have deluded themselves into supporting such a clearly immoral act. Today we wonder how slaveholders could have avoided feeling remorse. In the future, exchanges like this will be examined in the same way. I'm just leaving material for the historians.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, I am.

There's a difference between having sex with someone and killing a life.

I'd be a man enough to either raise the kid, or put it up for adoption. I wouldn't take away a life and then lie to myself about how it was somehow a noble decision.
You consider it a life. But does the woman your banging consider it a life? Does she want to risk her health and possibly HER life to carry that fetus to term? Do you hand out a questionnaire before you screw someone?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I had an abortion many years ago after prenatal diagnosis of anencephaly. I have no regrets. Sadness, yes, but no regrets.
Oh god. I'm so sorry.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Quote:
People in the future will look on abortion the way people today look at slavery, wondering how people could have deluded themselves into supporting such a clearly immoral act. Today we wonder how slaveholders could have avoided feeling remorse. In the future, exchanges like this will be examined in the same way. I'm just leaving material for the historians.
People in the future will look on religion the way people today look at other primitive delusions and the poor decisions and conclusions and systems of control they produced.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I can understand once, people make mistakes and accidents happen. But if you keep getting pregnant and don't want to and have abortions as a result, then let us not hide behind the bushes, that woman is irresponsible.

We have different types of contraceptions. of course there are other good reasons for abortions like incest, rape etc.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
I must admit I am both fascinated and shocked by many posts on this topic. I have always been pro choice, believing that a woman has the right to control her own body. That said, as a man, I cannot pretend to know how it would feel like to have an unplanned pregnancy. And as someone who never wanted children and never regretted not having them, I still feel very strongly that if I were a woman, I could never have an abortion. And I don't have religious convictions or believe that a fetus is a person. Still, I cannot imagine terminating a pregnancy. It is curious to me that most women DON'T have regret, even if they believe it was the right decision for them. Still I am glad that most women do not live with regret. Far too many children are born into this world with parents not prepared to care and nurture them. Few things are sadder than seeing children grow up damaged, unloved and un cared for.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:

Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
I think it is disrespectful to compare removing a bit of tissue from a woman's uterus to the plight of living, breathing, actual human beings sold and used and abused. As for abortion, it has been a fact of life since ancient times. Indigenous cultures performed abortions via blades made of stone or bone or via herbal concoctions or various other means. When the tribe could not sustain adding more mouths to feed, abortions were expected. Considering today's human overpopulation and the related strain on the earth and resources, reviving the same attitudes is overdue.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
..........while ignoring the fact that women who put children up for adoption are also traumatized, have life long regret and even emotional problems afterwards.
Not the same. We have a child that we adopted as an infant. He has Down syndrome and is now almost 29 years old. The birth mother was able to contact the agency and get reports and a picture when she requested it. She has at least the peace of knowing that her baby is not dead and that has to count for something.

Quote:
And I have never understood why certain parents feel the need to demonize the childfree, often insinuating that those who choose to be childfree are selfish, as you have just done.

Should I have a child I don't really want just because my parent's chose to have children? Poor kid.

Why is choosing not to have children anymore selfish than choosing to have them?

In both cases, you are choosing to do something you want to do......so you could call both choices being selfish.
I don't even see what this has to do with the topic. People that want to be child-free should look at other options and not just abort each pregnancy to remain child-free. There are permanent procedures for that.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but calling someone selfish is an insult no matter how you spin it.

BTW.....couldn't it be called selfish choosing to have a "mini me" instead of adopting a child in need?
Have you adopted a child in need? I don't think a lot of people who look at children in need abort their own children and I am not sure how well that would look on the home study.

Quote:
Aborting a fetus does not equal killing a person.

A fetus is not a person.

If you want to think of your fetus as a person that's just fine, but you do not have the right to try to force others to believe as you do.
fetus: Fetus | Define Fetus at Dictionary.com embryo: Embryo dictionary definition | embryo defined We are talking about a developing baby. You can make up your own definitions but the bottom line is it is a developing human being and ending its life is killing it.

Quote:
Laws are made to protect the safety or rights of others.

My having an abortion has no impact on others.
Just the baby whose life was terminated but then you made the decision that the life of the baby didn't matter. All the power in your hands.

Quote:
There is no child.
Human developing baby. Yes, there is no child now because the baby's life was terminated.

Quote:
Then how do you explain the guilt some women feel when they put a child up for adoption?

Is adoption immoral?
Adoption is said to be the "loving choice". Can you say the same for abortion? Seriously, how many women that put their babies up for adoption wish they would have terminated the baby's life? I'm guessing not very many. Adoption puts the baby needs above that of the mother's convenience. I am sure it is much harder to give a baby up for adoption than to have its life conveniently terminated. Women that choose adoption for their baby are strong and brave. My son's birth mother showed great courage as I read through the social worker's report.

Quote:
Taking away choice is a serious thing.
You bet especially when that choice is a death sentence for another who cannot speak for themselves.

Comparing adoption to abortion is ridiculous. You could take a poll of children that were adopted and ask if they would rather that their birth mother aborted them.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-15-2015 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events