Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I will say to the OP about any controversy it is amazing the lack of racial diversity amoungst all the scientists. Not surprising just amazing in this day and age. You'll know what im talking about when you watch the NOVA special.
Not among the commentators, though.
Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku are everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think everyone was surprised because they were expecting Pluto to just be a big rock, like an asteroid, not what it now seems to be; having a complex geography and an atmosphere.

you mean like a planet?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I ordered this shirt today.

Shirt.Woot: Graphic t-shirts, artistic tees, cool shirts, & more
Attached Thumbnails
Mind-blowing Pluto has ice mountains and water-pluto.png  

Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Well, the late Jacques Cousteau predicted our planet would run out of fresh water a long time ago. Even if we cant settle there, or the planet has no life of its own there, we could benefit from space-trucking what would become a precious comodity for us should Mr Cousteau's predictions ever become reality.
I can hear it now,
"Honey, I'm going to Pluto for some water... I'll be back in 20 years... now where's my debit card?"

Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Pretty humbling what a small speck we are considering how pompous and self righteous we can be.
I dunno. Consider the universe is a simulation, a construct. Distant objects and tiny objects are rendered in low res unless we take a closer look. And as far as we know, there are no other semi-intelligent beings. It's quite possible that the universe isn't as vast as it appears, and we are quite alone here in the center of it.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Pluto

Pluto and Charon

Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 PM

402 posts, read 369,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
We are, with little doubt, the most advanced organism in the realm of space (our solar system) that we know of.
That's not a very profound statement. That's like saying Chicago is the biggest city in Illinois (that we know of).

Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't know why they expected that. It is in the kyper belt where comets are which are full of frozen water. It really just shows that scientists really don't know ****. They think they do but they don't.
Ahem. You asked why scientists would be surprised. I offered MY reasoning and opinion. I have no idea what they expected to find.

And you are judging all scientists based on a speculative post from a person you don't know?

Your last sentence happens to be the truth...THAT's why we are exploring our solar system...so we can find out!

BTW: It is the Kuiper Belt, not kyper belt.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
you mean like a planet?
Exactly! For sixty-three years I have known that our solar system has nine planets. I was shocked when Pluto was taken off the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pluto is a planet, dammit!!!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:08 PM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
My - Mercury
Very - Venus
Eager - Earth
Mother - Mars
Just - Jupiter
Shelled - Saturn
Us - Uranus
Nine - Neptune
Peanuts - Pluto

This is how I learned the planets of the solar system. We have to let Pluto back in, it has geography and an atmosphere. We need the peanut of the solar system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events