Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
...as far as we know, there are no other semi-intelligent beings. It's quite possible that the universe isn't as vast as it appears, and we are quite alone here in the center of it.
We are not at the center of the universe, because the universe has no center. The universe is much more vast than it appears, contemplate the meaning of the word "infinite".

The portion of the universe that is visible to us is but a fragment. Divide one by zero, that is the size of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
when are ever going to find the aliens-!! all this space travel and no life?? come on!
Given that that any and all [potential] life development (in this visible portion of the universe) started at the same time, that of the Big Bang (or later), there is no reason to assume that any other life form(s) are any more advanced than we are. Given that we ourselves have not conquered interstellar (much less intergalactic) space travel, it is not at all surprising that we have not come into contact with any other intelligent forms of life (if any exist).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Still trying to figure out how what we learn about Pluto can help us here on Earth. There isn't even a remote possibility of us colonizing Pluto so what's the point. Seems like we have more pressing things to work on here.
Must be some reason it was taken off the list of planets......

Pluto is always in the news......

Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Yes and some believe that it is quite possible that the universe was created in a day... but it wasn't.
Actually the idea of the universe being like a simulation is best scientific explanation for what we observe.

The bit about low res rendering of objects that aren't being scrutinized I made up... but it makes sense.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 AM

861 posts, read 852,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
If anyone has a chance to see the NOVA episode that aired last night on this Mission watch it.

I'm a space science geek and this really floats my boat or sails my craft so to speak.

I will say to the OP about any controversy it is amazing the lack of racial diversity amoungst all the scientists. Not surprising just amazing in this day and age. You'll know what im talking about when you watch the NOVA special.
Dude, black geeks like myself do exist. Always loved science since I was a little boy. Always worked in scientific disciplines like software engineering. Spent every evening watching star trek or other sci fi nonsense..

My dad was an engineer and unless it is my geekiness rubbing off on him, my son looks set to be a budding engineer as well (first report card said he has an innate understanding of machines/systems, I will admit it made me shed a tear ).

Lack of diversity in American science circles has more to do with the racial problems specific to American society than anything else. In short, if you go to a crummy school in a ghetto where sadly a lot of AAs still reside, your chance of going to a strong science college are slim..

Whats amazing is that we still havent left the earth yet.. Sadly I dont think it will happen in my lifetime, but it will be amazing when we start to terraform places like Mars or form permanent colonies...

I wonder if Mars will become the new America initially tied to say America as the founding nation, then likewise breaks away..

Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I wonder if Mars will become the new America initially tied to say America as the founding nation, then likewise breaks away..
That would depend on Mars having sufficient resources that can be exploited to provide leverage to underwrite that independence (or operators from Mars using it as a base to exploit resources in the asteroid belt).

For whatever length of time Mars is dependent on resources supplied by Earth, it would be impossible to be independent. They would be no more than a puppet on a string, cut off their supplies and they would be forced to capitulate to whatever demands are made of them.

America was a vast resource open to exploitation- arable land, game, timber, etc. The colonists were capable of surviving without constant re-supply from Europe. The situation of colonizing Mars is considerably different.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Just curious - why didn't they configure it to go into orbit around the planet/non-planet, instead of just a fly-by?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just curious - why didn't they configure it to go into orbit around the planet/non-planet, instead of just a fly-by?
I wondered that, too.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Must be some reason it was taken off the list of planets......
Some body of people (I forget the organization) came up with, and voted on, a list of criteria for categorizing a celestial body.

The three criteria for a planet were: is it round? does it have an atmosphere? has it cleared debris from its orbit?

Pluto did not clear debris, so it was demoted...

Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Some body of people (I forget the organization) came up with, and voted on, a list of criteria for categorizing a celestial body.

The three criteria for a planet were: is it round? does it have an atmosphere? has it cleared debris from its orbit?

Pluto did not clear debris, so it was demoted...
we could clear the debris for Pluto!

pew...pew...pew-pew-pew!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
All about speed, to get there in 9 years they needed the velocity of over 30,000 mph, it would take a lot of fuel to slow down enough to be captured by Pluto's weak gravity, and enter orbit. So, was more important to use the weight budget for instrumentation instead of fuel. Maybe next time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events