Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times

Advertisements

It's wonderful how interesting the results have been - I've loved seeing the images and watching the press conferences. I hope we can do more and more similar missions in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:33 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal
Still trying to figure out how what we learn about Pluto can help us here on Earth. There isn't even a remote possibility of us colonizing Pluto so what's the point. Seems like we have more pressing things to work on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
This is the kind of short-sighted thinking that keeps us from realizing our full potential as a species.

The first question is not: How does what we learn on Pluto help us here?

The first question is: What is on Pluto?

Once we answer the first question, then we can begin to answer the second and subsequent questions.
I'm all for physics and science, and I was insulted personally (YES! I WAS!) when "they" demoted Pluto as a plant -- but regarding space exploration in general, I'm on MikMal's side. I think there are many ways to cut the US space exploration budget for, say, 10 years, even, so we could spend that money to ensure that right now, every person on Earth eats, has shelter, and clothing -- at the very least. I don't think that's very much to ask of our fellow man while we're here on Earth.

In the meantime, I most assuredly believe we should determine exactly what Pluto can offer us here and work to establish that.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would like to close down the Air Force, except for limited ground support and transport functions, and spend the money on Space Exploration.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 AM

58 posts, read 68,644 times
whatever it has, we cant live there

Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
AGW/CC is blamed on what?
Your carbon footprint, of course. We should all shut down our computers, stand still, not fart, and hold our breath. Never ponder any method of escaping doom and gloom. 'Hope' is just another four-letter word.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-18-2015 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I'm all for physics and science, and I was insulted personally (YES! I WAS!) when "they" demoted Pluto as a plant -- but regarding space exploration in general, I'm on MikMal's side. I think there are many ways to cut the US space exploration budget for, say, 10 years, even, so we could spend that money to ensure that right now, every person on Earth eats, has shelter, and clothing -- at the very least. I don't think that's very much to ask of our fellow man while we're here on Earth.

In the meantime, I most assuredly believe we should determine exactly what Pluto can offer us here and work to establish that.

You think devoting 3 dollars a year per person will solve those problems?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post

Hundreds of BILLION$ of dollars go toward humanitarian help, in the US alone, and there are still homeless and hungry people. The problem isn't money.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Some people value learning for the sake of learning.
Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
If anyone has a chance to see the NOVA episode that aired last night on this Mission watch it.

I'm a space science geek and this really floats my boat or sails my craft so to speak.

I will say to the OP about any controversy it is amazing the lack of racial diversity amoungst all the scientists. Not surprising just amazing in this day and age. You'll know what im talking about when you watch the NOVA special.
thx for the pointer... link to video: Video: Chasing Pluto | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video

I find it ridiculously astonishing how they were able to launch this thing, have it fly for 10 years and hit the planet near its projected orbit. A damn invisible speck in our sky and it strolls on by and snaps pictures which it sends back over 4.5 billion miles.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
The artists explains the assumptions he made in 1979, which led him to render a painting so similar to the way we now know Pluto actually looks.

1979 Painting of Pluto is remarkably similar to New Horizons Photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events