Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Yeah, the old "if we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Hooey. You stop them today. All of them, and 100 years from now we won't have this scourge.

Best re-read that second amendment to which you and the NRA gun manufacturing lobby love to allude (not because it has anything to do with you other than you are the sap who spends the money to buy the gun and make someone very wealthy). It says not a single thing about your individual right to bear arms. Not a single word.

Sorry. And if it makes you feel better, I was a sportsman who grew up with guns and did a lot of enjoyable, recreational hunting. Even today, I would like to have a gun in my house, but I know that having such an armament dramatically heightens my chances of injuring or killing myself or a member of my family. As proven daily, there are just too many whack jobs in our society to have guns be any part of the equation.
Logic and reason ....wrong thread. This thread is about guns in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:42 PM

424 posts, read 381,601 times
I don't trust ransom people I don't know with guns, I think it's the majority of US citizens who don't trust people with guns, not the government. Look at all the gun friendly legislation and the overly armed police force.....

Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So the gun nuts are blaming yet another shooting on not enough guns.

We have like 10x as many guns per capita as any other wealthy nation, but, nope, still not enough. Maybe give everyone tactical nukes and that will finally keep everyone safe.
How did gun control laws workout in NOLA during Hurricane Katrina?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Yeah, the old "if we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Hooey. You stop them today. All of them, and 100 years from now we won't have this scourge.

Best re-read that second amendment to which you and the NRA gun manufacturing lobby love to allude (not because it has anything to do with you other than you are the sap who spends the money to buy the gun and make someone very wealthy). It says not a single thing about your individual right to bear arms. Not a single word.

Sorry. And if it makes you feel better, I was a sportsman who grew up with guns and did a lot of enjoyable, recreational hunting. Even today, I would like to have a gun in my house, but I know that having such an armament dramatically heightens my chances of injuring or killing myself or a member of my family. As proven daily, there are just too many whack jobs in our society to have guns be any part of the equation.
"It says not a single thing about your individual right to bear arms. Not a single word."

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

OK then explain what this means "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The militia included Men of a certain age but the right to keep and bear arms was given to "the people".

Actually I am glad you do not want to have a gun because you probably would end up killing yourself or a family member. It is a good thing, that you are willing to forgo your Second Amendment rights because you recognize your inability to practice good judgement. It is just too bad that all of the bad guys out there don't do the same thing.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Default After all this stimulating debate.....

No opinions have been changed as I could have predicted.
Thankfully the odds of the 2nd amendment being removed or restricted are almost nil. Just like illegal aliens there are too many already out there to just get rid of them.

Now add in the jihadi nutjobs that have been active and increasing in occurrence leads me to believe more people will become armed with at least a long gun for self defense.
Jihadi control has proclaimed all military members and their families are great targets and should be pursued with a vengeance.
Have a neighbor that is active duty military? Well then, your neighborhood "could" become a target. Live near a base? Same issue. Work near any place connected to the military or police? You might want to practice "duck and cover".

I do not believe the local police or the feds can protect us from these particular threats at this time, the best they can do is respond after people are shot and try to limit the carnage. I would prefer to at least have a chance at survival...

Old 07-18-2015, 11:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
[quote=Ted Bear;40454800]Yeah, the old "if we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Hooey. You stop them today. All of them, and 100 years from now we won't have this scourge.

Best re-read that second amendment to which you and the NRA gun manufacturing lobby love to allude (not because it has anything to do with you other than you are the sap who spends the money to buy the gun and make someone very wealthy). It says not a single thing about your individual right to bear arms. Not a single word.[/qoute]

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Now, in modern english, it can sound like "Recognizing the right of people to organize into well-equipped military units for self-defence as essential to the existense of freedom, Congress shall not prohibit gun ownership or possession.

Notice here, it does not say, that no restrictions can be placed, nor that every individual has this right. However, "the right of the people" means that majority of the population should be allowed to keep and carry their firearms.

[quote=Ted Bear;40454800]
Sorry. And if it makes you feel better, I was a sportsman who grew up with guns and did a lot of enjoyable, recreational hunting. [/qoute]

Sorry, it means nothing to me. Second amendmend is not about hunting.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times
Quote:

That ain't hooey; that's fact.
It's nice of you to give it 100 years.
During that period honest people will
be at the mercy of armed criminals.

In 100 years, guns will likely be museum pieces.
We'll have much better weapons.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Another no gun zone shooting. Notice the no gun sign on the door.

Yeah, that worked well.

Makes me sick that our govt doesn't trust our military with guns. And the military doesn't trust legally armed, law abiding citizens with guns.

Not correct, inside the place was gun free, where the shooter was shooting from guns were allowed.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:30 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Check this article, it provides liinks to the official crime statistics published by FBI and "Australian Institute of Criminology" and explains methodology of calculations and comparisons - Violent Crime Rates U.S. VS Australia | Extrano's Alley, more than a gun blog

================================================
Assault:………………… Australia 834.5……….U.S 404.5 (386.3 in 2011)
Sexual Assault………………Australia 86.6………..U.S. 27.7 (26.8 in 2011)
Robbery ………………….Australia 71.1………..US 119.3 (113.7 in 2011)
Kidnapping………………..Australia 2.9…………US So rare records are not kept.
Murder…..Melbourne, we have a problem. Australia’s official rate is 1.3 less than one third of the U.S. 4.2. The total of individual violent deaths reported by major newspapers in each Australian State other than the Northern Territory is above 150. Given that, Australia’s murder rate is suspiciously low.

Since 1996 the United States assault rate has dropped by 43.6 percent. Australia’s assault numbers have increased by 150 percent.
Since 1996, the United States forcible rape rate has fallen by 36.5%, while “gun free Australia’s” sexual assault numbers are up by 22%.
Since 1996, the United States robbery rates have consistently fallen, by a total of 46%. Oz? The official robbery rates soared immediately after the Howard regime’s gun control laws, but now the official, and heavily edited, robbery rate has fallen by an extremely unimpressive 12.2 percent.
================================================

Still impressed by how things work on the wrong side of the Earth? And those people are living on an island, have no borders with Mexico, have no history of racial discrimination, and are very selective whom they allow to immigrate to the country.

Are you purposely trying to mislead people are or you this misguided??!!

You do know that assault and rape can be committed without guns right?? Which is the case in Australia. Essentially, you're saying, "Yeah, so gun violence is down in Australia; but they keep committing crimes nonethless!!"

Which basically is my point exactly. Take guns away, the gun crimes go down. When people want to commit crimes, they'll have to do it the old fashion way.

Banning guns will stop gun violence. Duh, right? So don't bring in other types of violence in order to cloud the issue. We are only talking about gun violence. Nobody said gun banning will change human behavior and eliminate crimes altogether.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:31 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not correct, inside the place was gun free, where the shooter was shooting from guns were allowed.
In that particular attack on the recruiter station, the military being armed would have made no tactical difference. They had no way to attain tactically effective fighting positions from inside the building with a wall of glass to the outside. There is no reasonably conceivable "civilian environment ROE" that would have allowed them to open fire against a rifle-wielding opponent in that kind of situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events