Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 05:51 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There is a newly release video taken from the dash cam. It is pretty dull until around the 6:28 minute mark. The officer got irritated over basically nothing. He pulls her out of the car and out of the view of his dash cam.
He's on desk duty now, he should never be allowed back on duty in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Remember the good old days when the phrase, "the police say" actually meant something?
We are in a lot of trouble if police can't do their job, for fear of having everything second-guessed. Kicking a police officer is a very bad.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
He's on desk duty now, he should never be allowed back on duty in the streets.
You think he had anything to do with her suicide?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:01 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Cop seemed polite on the full dash cam video. I don't think her calling him a pu$$y cop helped much or not complying?

Do you carry on like that at traffic stops?

Also she survived the traffic stop, so the cop's behavior isn't really in question.
Officer Brian Encina overstepped his authority which is he is on administrative leave Here is what transpired:

"You OK?" Encinia asks Bland.

"I'm waiting on you, this is your job," Bland responds. "I'm waiting on you."

"You seem very irritated," Encinia adds.

Bland acknowledges that she's annoyed because he was tailing her, then pulled her over.

Encinia then asked Bland to put out her cigarette. When she refuses, he tells her to step out of the car.

"I don't want to step out of my car," Bland says, adding, "I refuse to talk to you other than to identify myself."

"I am going to yank you out of here," Encinia says, moving his body inside her open door.
The situation escalates, and the trooper tells her she's under arrest. "Get out of the car!" he commands.

Bland asks why she's being arrested, and then Encinia draws his Taser.
"Get out of the car! I will light you up," he continues, prompting her to exit the vehicle.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Two separate issues.

First issue: Both are at fault for taking this situation to another level. She was very defensive and noncompliant. He could of let her off with a warning. He didn't need to tell her to put out her cigarette. Both of them are equally at fault.

Second issue, she dies in jail. He was not a jail corrections officer. Her death in jail has nothing to do with him.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Wrong. A traffic stop is a basically a Terry Stop. A Terry Stop is a form of detention. Detention is not an arrest.
I actually wrote that. Arresting a person's movements.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This is absolutely sickening. A Federal investigation obviously necessary in this supremely backwards part of the country. The ignorant cops involved, along with the department which allowed this to happen, must be severely penalized. This kind of Klan-like behavior by these sub-humans cannot stand.
Not this again. Supremely backwards? I live just a couple of miles from Waller. But every time there's any negative publicity RE: anything in Texas, posters from out of state bash Texas for what a terrible place it is. If you don't live here, you have no business judging our state, because you have no idea what you're talking about, thus you will be the one who sounds ignorant for making generalizations about a place you know nothing about.

Secondly, the only things you'll hear about in the news, no matter where it is, will be NEWSWORTHY, mostly negative, therefore, you won't hear the boring stuff, that people are living their lives, raising their kids, and going to their jobs. I actually know two of the constables personally. They are the sweetest people you'll ever meet, and I'd trust them with anything. I didn't see excessive force used in the arrest at all. As for the alleged suicide, she may have indeed taken her own life. I'm glad they are doing a thorough investigation to determine for sure.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Two separate issues.

First issue: Both are at fault for taking this situation to another level. She was very defensive and noncompliant. He could of let her off with a warning. He didn't need to tell her to put out her cigarette. Both of them are equally at fault.

Second issue, she dies in jail. He was not a jail corrections officer. Her death in jail has nothing to do with him.
Exactly! He was a state trooper, not a Waller County Sheriff.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:31 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Two separate issues.

She was compliant until he told her not to smoke in her OWN vehicle. Being defensive isn't illegal. He overstepped his authority. He was wrong.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 AM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
U.S. Supreme Court has acknowledged that a traffic stop is a form of arrest as it is a significant restraint of the driver's freedom which can evolve into an arrest with Miranda Rights and having to secure the person. The woman in the video brought this upon herself.
Because of people like you is why this country is divided.....no honesty from the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events