Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How about if we wait for the federal investigation?
The news media will stop reporting it once all the facts are out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How about if we wait for the federal investigation?

So many people choosing sides before having all the facts.

Then they get so invested that they ignore any new information that might make them look like they stupidly jump the gun.

smh
Would that apply to your side as well? Why is it only Bland's supporters who should remain unvoiced? There is already enough evidence in plain sight to come to at least one conclusion: an arrest should not have happened. Therefore anything that took place as a result of an arrest is criminal. I haven't seen a single post that thinks that she actually committed suicide in her cell. Even you don't. But you do expect the Fed's to cover it up in order to keep America from descending into chaos. It took the killing of an unarmed black woman in Portland to really galvanize the state and to remove the police chief and replace him with a black man. That was years ago, but the lesson has been learned. You can kill as many black men as you want (prior to #blacklivesmatter) but take it easy with the ladies. I think they'd love to leave this one open for a fair investigation and throw the cop and whoever else is involved to the wolves, but this is bigger than them. Well they have a big job ahead. No one believes this is suicide and they are going to make the Fed's prove it.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The news media will stop reporting it once all the facts are out.
If only. Nope, this is going to get very big and very ugly before it goes away. I think the term 'viral' is appropriate here. Boring? Anything but.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:06 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I thought it was odd that there was no time stamp on the dash cam video, I have never seen that before, and there are parts of the video that loop, might be a defective camera, I'm not sure if that could be the cause, or if it's edited. I guess NPR is having some video experts look at it. Here are the observations with some fairly good evidence that it might be edited.
Dashcam Video of Violent Arrest of Sandra Bland Was Edited | Ben Norton
The Austin Department of Public Safety released the 52-minute video from the July 10 traffic stop Tuesday night but now says it will release a DVD version of the footage because "some of the video that occurred during this conversation was affected in the upload" to the Internet, spokesman Tom Vinegar said in a statement.

Officials said today the video had not been edited prior to being released via YouTube.

What Police Are Saying About Sandra Bland Dash-Cam Anomalies - ABC News

Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
for kicking a cop (assault on public servant).

arrest affidavit thingy:

How was she able to kick him while sitting in her car?

He stated she was under arrest while she was still in her car.

Again, for what crime was she being arrested?

Also, his claim of being kicked cannot be proven, unless there is other video showing the act.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes, I see now that her theoretical scenario could have played out over the intercom rather than face to face.
but the time line is waaay off. she was in the clink for four days.

If she was in there for four days without phenobarbital (or another seizure medication) she could very well have had a fatal seizure.

I haven't heard anything about her medical condition, though.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
That's you. What that police officer did was inexcusable. Defending his actions is being intellectually dishonest. He basically arrested her for smoking in her vehicle which is a bunch of bull crap.
I JUST was pulled over: expired inspection sticker. "Yes Sir." "Yes Ma'am" I am white and getting pulled over means you behave in an appropriate fashion with law enforcement officers, if you cannot do that you are asking for trouble. The policeman in his dealings with Sandra Bland WAS excessive, she was way out of line though. You don't behave in that fashion. On that note you don't yank someone out of a car because they are being belligerent.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:00 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
seems the cop had the right to order her out of the car at will due to Pennsylvania v. Mimms (1977):
The State freely concedes the officer had no reason to suspect foul play from the particular driver at the time of the stop, there having been nothing unusual or suspicious about his behavior. It was apparently his practice to order all drivers out of their vehicles as a matter of course whenever they had been stopped for a traffic violation. The State argues that this practice was adopted as a precautionary measure to afford a degree of protection to the officer, and that it may be justified on that ground. Establishing a face-to-face confrontation diminishes the possibility, otherwise substantial, that the driver can make unobserved movements; this, in turn, reduces the likelihood that the officer will be the victim of an assault.

We think it too plain for argument that the State's proffered justification—the safety of the officer—is both legitimate and weighty....

The hazard of accidental injury from passing traffic to an officer standing on the driver's side of the vehicle may also be appreciable in some situations. Rather than conversing while standing exposed to moving traffic, the officer prudently may prefer to ask the driver of the vehicle to step out of the car and off onto the shoulder of the road where the inquiry may be pursued with greater safety to both.

Against this important interest, we are asked to weigh the intrusion into the driver's personal liberty occasioned not by the initial stop of the vehicle, which was admittedly justified, but by the order to get out of the car. We think this additional intrusion can only be described as de minimis.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I JUST was pulled over: expired inspection sticker. "Yes Sir." "Yes Ma'am" I am white and getting pulled over means you behave in an appropriate fashion with law enforcement officers, if you cannot do that you are asking for trouble. The policeman in his dealings with Sandra Bland WAS excessive, she was way out of line though. You don't behave in that fashion.
People behave in all kinds of ways when pulled over. You don't. I get that. You don't speak for everyone. As I understand it a full 30%(!) of white drivers are uncooperative when pulled over. Think about that, 30%. Some physically assault officers causing injury during their arrests. That certainly isn't you. But... everyone? So was the cop's behavior excessive? You say it was. I don't know... I'd say maybe it wasn't. If you are correct and her behavior was "way out of line"... well it can be argued that the officers behavior was not excessive at all.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Waiting on that imbecilic cop sympathizer to come in and spew his usual rhetoric, mocking the victim while explaining the complexity of Police work. At some point we have start addressing these issues head on, before people start taking matters into their hands. Policemen/women have families too! And just may be when they start receiving equal treatment, they'd rethink this whole above the law, assaulting and murdering productive citizens of our community. What exactly did this woman do to deserve her encounter? So infuriating.
From some of the comments about this incident I wonder if we all watched the same video? In the video I watched the Cop was very courteous for a few minutes until the Female motorists became surly. At that point he may have suspected she was high on some form of drugs, legal or illegal. For all he knew she may have had a gun or other weapon within easy grabbing distance.

Overall I think he showed remarkable restraint. I don't know what happened before she died in Lockop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events