Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM

112 posts, read 114,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
How did a "simple traffic stop turn out like this?" That's easy. Because the driver didn't comply with the cop's order. It's the same old krapola that cops have to put up with--drivers with a whole lot of attitude who want to challenge a cop instead of "tell[ing] it to the judge."

Chuck the belligerent attitude, and comply. Period.
And having a belligerent attitude toward a cop is an illegal act now? What about when a cop displays a belligerent attitude toward a citizen is that illegal as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:52 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,963,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post
And having a belligerent attitude towards a cop is illegal now? What about when cops have belligerent attitudes towards citizens is that illegal as well?
I believe it IS against the law to not comply with the officer's orders. You can have an attitude all you want as long as you comply with what you are being asked.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 PM

209 posts, read 256,760 times
Quote:
How did a "simple traffic stop turn out like this?" That's easy. Because the driver didn't comply with the cop's order. It's the same old krapola that cops have to put up with--drivers with a whole lot of attitude who want to challenge a cop instead of "tell[ing] it to the judge."

She has the bipolar intuition and got yelled at. She didn't join the Army, she committed an infraction.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I believe it IS against the law to not comply with the officer's orders. You can have an attitude all you want as long as you comply with what you are being asked.
So you agree not speaking about compliance (an act) it was regarding attitude

Old 07-22-2015, 05:00 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post
And having a belligerent attitude toward a cop is an illegal act now? What about when a cop displays a belligerent attitude toward a citizen is that illegal as well?
lol when was "having a belligerent attitude" a crime?

Old 07-22-2015, 05:10 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,977,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I don't believe that Sandra Bland was murdered, however, the fact that a simple traffic stop ended up with a person being in jail for over 3 days, then her ending up dead is troubling. While Ms. Bland would have been better off (and likely would still be alive today) had she simply answered his questions without showing her annoyance, police officers also need to be sure that they don't escalate the situation when a person is clearly upset. From what I saw in that video, the officer did not like being spoken to in the manner which she was speaking to him, and he endeavored to assert his control by asking stupid, needling questions ("What's the matter? You seem upset." which clearly just made her madder) to demanding that she put out the cigarette while she was sitting in her own car (completely unreasonable from my point of view, and unnecessary) and when she refused, he then went completely overboard and pulled her out of the car, basically. Did she kick him? Maybe, or maybe, when he was wrestling her to the ground, her foot might have hit his leg unintentionally, or maybe it didn't happen at all. While I agree with those who state that the best course of action when one comes into contact with the police is to be civil (never will I call a police officer "sir" or "maam", only "officer"), I also believe that law enforcement need to follow procedure, and be professional, regardless. This officer did not.

How this officer turned a non violent confrontation with an unarmed civilian into a violent confrontation is troubling. He is entirely responsible for that, she likely would never have left the car if he hadn't ordered her out, he only ordered her out because she refused to put out her cigarette, which was an unreasonable request, a request seeming made by an officer on a power trip, one trying to exert control.
I agree absolutely. Like I said before, in another time and situation this was a complete foreplay situation. He was getting off on getting a rise out her her.

He wanted that rise and got it and she loved being angry black woman.

But again, they were BOTH in the wrong 100% but how that equals a suicide? I have no idea.

Anyone as angry and feisty as her IMO doesn't seem suicidal. So she decided in 3 days to martyr herself for the "cause" and a swinging she went? That makes no sense.

I think she died naturally/a seizure/etc and the trash bag noose was a cover up for not giving her medical attention

Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,474,664 times
The news reports that she said on her intake form that she had attempted suicide in the past. Apparently the jail screwed up in how they housed her, she should have never been near anything that she could have used to kill herself.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,901,262 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
When I was much younger and far more foolish, I smarty-pantsed police officers who pulled me over, but I never got hauled to jail for it.... but then again, I am a blue-eyed, blonde white woman....
It really is time for a new narrative. They say insanity is repeating the same action over and over again while expecting a different result. I think I have read the above quoted "chuck the belligerent attitude..." several hundred times over the years. I would be tired of repeating myself but maybe that's me. White posters on C-D, both Liberal and Conservative, appear to agree that Blacks that don't 'behave' have it coming. The disparity in outcomes is not what bothers them, only the ensuing drama. Liberals are upset over the bloodshed, Conservatives are upset about the paperwork, but the blame is placed squarely on the victims by both camps.

One of the checkers at my supermarket is an older white woman, and even as a grandmother she was telling me about an incident (this was months ago) where a cop pulled her over and caused a traffic jam by not letting her leave the line of traffic and go somewhere else to hash things out. She called him a stupid *** and other things to which he responded angrily but there wasn't any other reprisal. And not because she was "old". She is my age. I am not "old" but neither of us are "young". What of it, an adult is an adult whether 25, 35 or 65. Your principles shouldn't change.

People get more Conservative as they age because they think they have more to lose. It is a conceit born out of privilege. Black people, a lot of them don't think they have all that much to lose. In a lot of cases they are right. Henry Louis Gates the Harvard Professor who was arrested on his doorstep well knows that being "of a certain age", education level and carriage means squat to a lot of badge carrying LEO. It would mean something, a lot of something, if the Ivy League University professor were white. A cop can tell a college professor from a plumber at 200 yards. If they are both white. They cannot tell a black college professor from a drug dealer at arms length if they are both black. That should change. But it won't. It hasn't for more than 200 years. There is little evidence of it ever changing.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,901,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The news reports that she said on her intake form that she had attempted suicide in the past. Apparently the jail screwed up in how they housed her, she should have never been near anything that she could have used to kill herself.
She wasn't. They didn't screw up at all. Not right away. For three days she was kept well away from trash bags and anything else that she could use to harm herself. After she died, however, the information on the intake form was used as the basis of a cover-up. Better to take the heat for allowing a trash bag to be implicated and get beaten up for the lapse in judgement than reveal what really happened. Her words in her car, oddly prophetic. Paraphrased: "... I'm waiting on you... you're doing what you have to do... you've got the power..."

Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol when was "having a belligerent attitude" a crime?
You quoted the wrong person ask headingtodenver this question I was simply asking him for clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events