Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
By no one do you mean the millions of people talking about this case online or the thousands of people who have signed petitions asking the federal government to investigate her suspicious death?
Sadly it is not surprising that there are tons of idiots out there who will believe the hood fairy tale. I'm sure you believe Mike Brown had his hands in the air and pleaded for Darren Wilson to "please don't shoot" too. The world really is a magical place to people like you. Logic, facts, evidence, laws, etc. just don't matter and all sorts of wild and fantastical things are possible. Then again I'm sure logic, facts, evidence, and laws are all just inventions of the white devil to hold the brothers down anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You have no proof that she was murdered. This is pure conjecture. We can talk about it when you can show us some proof.
What good would evidence be to you? You say you saw the video, yet you didn't see anything wrong with how the officer handled the situation.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Sadly it is not surprising that there are tons of idiots out there who will believe the hood fairy tale. I'm sure you believe Mike Brown had his hands in the air and pleaded for Darren Wilson to "please don't shoot" too. The world really is a magical place to people like you. Logic, facts, evidence, laws, etc. just don't matter and all sorts of wild and fantastical things are possible. Then again I'm sure logic, facts, evidence, and laws are all just inventions of the white devil to hold the brothers down anyway.
I guess you know the whole truth. Whatever. You said no one believes the "hood fairy tale". A whole lot of no ones. Guess we'll wait and see.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reminds me of "The Wire" --episode where D'Angelo Barksdale was murdered in jail/prison by someone on Stringer Bell's orders to keep D'Angelo from confessing to Brandon's murder...
He was strangled by another inmate who then used D's belt wrapped around a door handle to mask the choke marks-- pants were zipped open after he was sat on floor and made to appear he was engaged in auto-erotic asphyxiation and screwed up...
McNulty and Bunk weren't believing it but they were about the only ones...

How did she get a plastic bag???
Too convenient -- if she was supposed to be suicidal she would have not had access to that and she would have been on close monitoring...

Them police can't get the story straight because it's a coverup
Even on a fictional television show the people had a motive to murder him. I see no motive for the police to murder Ms. Bland. The person in the neighboring cell said she heard no screaming or commotion from Bland's cell. She obviously was scared and distraught. It is horrible and tragic, but I just don't think it was murder.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
This is my story. July 10 2015 road trip returning home. Got pull over on I 40 somewhere west Oklahoma City. Aproximately 10AM. Driving on the left lane doing about 80.
Got pulled over

Cop car throw the light, knew it was for me, pulled over to the right side, rolled down all my windows

Cop: "Can I see your drivers license and insurance"( no greetings no smile nothing)
Me: handed him texas driver license, said this is not my car, let my dad get the insurance for you. (Kansas registration/ins)
Cop: went back to his car,
Me: waited in the car with my dad up front, mom and girlfriend backseat.
Cop: came back, " I am writing you a warning"
Me: "what did I did wrong?"
Cop:"you were speeding 79 in a 70zone" "This is Oklahoma, not Texas where it's 75"
Me: "Ok! Thank you officer" reached over shook his hand. We both part ways with a smile.
I did everything, I know to make the officer feel, I am non threatening.
I am an Asian male driving a Lexus Rx350 with a handicapped Kansas tag, which may have helped me get off on the ticket.
This whole event took less than 10minutes. I was prepared to get a ticket. It's no big deal

My story maybe irrelevant to Ms Bland, But the point I am trying to make is that, it's very simple to stay alive. Just be smart about it. No matter what rights she had or Pissed off at the law for pulling her over. Arguing, screaming, yelling on the side of the road with a law officer with a gun is not smart. That whole situation with Ms bland and other African American people that got shot, killed or thrown in jail is all because they do not respect the law. It's simple, some people just don't get it, I say some not all.
if some of you think that cop was arrogant and egotistical.
You haven't seen the LAPD or CHP. They don't play..

Back my story July 10 2015 to July 10 2000.
I was driving a white sporty Lexus with flashy wheels and dark tinted windows. I got pulled so many times I got tired of it. One time I got stopped three times driving from Houston to Dallas, and every Friday night at the same corner in the suburb of Houston.
All because I drove, what looked like a drug dealers car. Yeah it was profiling, yeah it was annoying, but I know I am innocent. I cooperated, I am here today to tell my story.
Never got a ticket for all those rediculous police stop

It's hard to argue your rights when you re dead.

Last edited by Chris V; 07-23-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 12:21 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
White privilege keeps millions blind, I know.
No people aren't taking you seriously because you refuse to see facts that are right in front of you. You are partly right regarding your views but when you throw in the whole "she was murdered" that just throws any credibility you have out the window. Kind of like if I accused you of being an ISIS sympathizer because "I just know that you are......" Why you ask? "I just know you just seem like you would based on how you type." See how stupid that sounds? That's how ridiculous the "she was murdered crowd" sounds.

Based on the video and facts, so far the scenario is this:

1. Officer pulls over woman for a lawful traffic stop.

2. Said officer comes back to give her a warning. This pretty much proves he wasn't a racist because if he was really a hater of people of color, he would have just given her a ticket.

3. Woman gets mouthy with the officer and gives him an attitude. This is her right, there are no laws regarding giving the police attitude.

4. Her behavior pisses the officer off and he decides to "teach her a lesson." Officer lets his ego get the better of him, tries to unlawfully dominate the situation and tries to push the woman around with his badge. This is where he crossed the line.

5. Almost everything the woman does to resist the officer from this point on was completely within her right.

6. The officer makes a BAD arrest. In case your wondering, I'm extremely pro police and even I can see the problems with this arrest.

7. Woman is depressed in jail and in a moment of extreme depression she unfortunately commits suicide. The officer above was responsible for her unlawful arrest and putting her in jail. However, the decision to take her life was hers.

8. The African American crowd predictability tries to turn this into a situation involving racism (which it clearly isn't). They make up ridiculous accusations regarding "murder."

9. Just like the morons of the Michael Brown "he had his hands up" crowd; two reports (the coroner and medical examiner) both concur that it was a suicide and there was no foul play.

So for the love of all logic and common sense please stop with the bs "murder" accusations. Even an inmate at the jail that had conversations with Bland says that she doesn't think the officers in the jail had anything to do with her death. And I think we can assume that an inmate locked up isn't really pro police. So if she's saying it's not murder because of the overwhelming evidence; it really makes people look silly to keep screaming "she was murdered!!"

Sandra Bland 'distraught,' neighboring inmate says | abc7chicago.com

Old 07-24-2015, 01:14 AM

109 posts, read 141,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Agreed. I watched the long, entire video that begins with the previous traffic stop:

Full video of Sandra Bland arrest - LA Times

On the previous stop he was very cordial and professional with the woman in the car - and she was very polite. He gave her a warning and she drove away. He was polite to Bland at first as well. She evidently wouldn't even look at him (we can't see this but he mentions it later). I think she must have been acting strangely and it prompted him to ask if she was okay. I don't think he was trying to escalate here - I think he was asking if she was okay (he wanted to ascertain if there was a problem - a perfectly rational thing for him to do - was there a problem, was she sick, something he needed to know. I've been driving before when I was very upset, crying even. If I'd been pulled over at such a time I think the officer would ask me if I was okay and I would explain why I was upset - this is just perfectly logical to me).

So we know she was upset from the get-go. He goes back to his car and does his thing. Writes up a warning and takes it to her. She doesn't even wait to see if it is a ticket or a warning. She didn't give him the chance to tell her it was just a warning. She was so mad she lost her common sense. Her body language must have shown how upset she was and he asked again if she was okay. Thinking about this from the officer's point of view - he doesn't know this woman, she's acting weird and belligerent - he doesn't know if she's unstable, under the influence of something, upset about a personal matter - he has no idea what she will do next. He hasn't searched her or her car - so he doesn't know if she has a weapon. She complains about being pulled over, etc. It sounds like she is barely maintaining control - you can hear the strain in her voice. The cop probably wonders if she's going to get violent (this would have been my thought if I were in his shoes). He asks her nicely to put out her cigarette and she becomes even more argumentative. You can hear she's getting hysterical. If I were the cop at this point I would wonder what was up with this woman. I would wonder why she was so nervous - did she have something to hide? Was she going to get violent? Was she nuts? So he asks her to step out of the car - this way he can see if she's armed and prevent her from grabbing a weapon she might have handy. But she goes ballistic. He asks several times and she gets worse. Then he loses his temper too.

He shouldn't have yelled at her because it just made it worse. He definitely should not have said "I'll light you up!". She says he doesn't have the right to ask her to get out of the car - he tells her, truthfully, that he does. But she's not really listening anymore. She's into her own trip now - and by the time she gets out of the car she is into the "This is BS and I'm gonna sue" mode. And she starts calling him names and cussing like a sailor. She tries to get away from him. Even at this point, if she had stopped fighting and calmed down and talked rationally to the officer - she might have avoided jail. But she fought on. I think she did kick him - the female officer (who was black) looked down at his leg and said she saw that (probably dirt on his pants from her shoe). She evidently scratched him and cut him with her rings - the other officer mentions that. And at that point there was just no going back.

They both acted poorly. But he was nice at first and had been nice to the previous driver. She had no intention of being nice at all. Now, that is her right but it's pretty stupid. She clearly didn't like cops and was determined to make a fuss. He was going to give her a break but she wasn't having it. She had to do it her way and it had consequences.

I'm a white woman in my mid-50s. I would never talk to an officer that way. I was raised to have manners and respect authority. I've been pulled over several times and I act like a mature adult. If this had been me, when he told me why he'd pulled me over I would have said in a very polite way that I saw him behind me and wanted to get out of his way - but that he was correct and I had failed to signal and I'd apologize for that. I have to say that I find myself in front of a cop car every now and then. The last thing I would do is suddenly pull over like that because it's a red flag - it looks very suspicious.

I think we can see from the statements of the woman in the cell next to her, the cut marks on her wrist, and her suicide that she was unstable. The fact that her family claims to know nothing of her mental health problems is telling. They would have to have been signs but they were in denial (I have a long history of depression and nobody wanted to see it or admit it until I checked myself into the hospital because I was suicidal). Mental illness scare people and I'm sure they had no idea what to do so they went into denial. I'm sure they didn't dream she'd kill herself. It's tragic but I believe this is how it played out.
Very informational post on the video, which I haven't seen in it's entirety. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:59 AM

269 posts, read 370,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
To me I could careless what happened during the traffic stop, I only care about what happened at the jail. The officer isn't going to be charged with anything on the traffic stop, because he didn't break any laws. Whether you agree with the officers decision to arrest her, he didn't have to explain that to the lady and so he made an arrest. The only thing that is left here is to determine whether this was a suicide or there was foul play. Again the dash cam video is irrelevant to me. But once again that is where the most focus is going to go and we are going to be arguing this case for months, and I believe that we are never going to fully understand what happened.
I do care what happened at the traffic stop. If the officer did nothing wrong why is he now on desk duty? Police officers are not gods, they shouldn't have so much power that they don't have to explain why they are arresting someone - the general public need some protection from corrupt officers on power trips.

Personally I think Sandra Bland might have taken her own life - but that she did it because she was harassed and bullied so much leading up to it, and someone needs to made accountable for it.

She didn't deserve to be taken into jail in the first place, she would be alive today if it wasn't for some power crazy police officer who couldn't take that someone wasn't bowing down to him when he demanded it - for a petty traffic violation.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
for a petty traffic violation.
Personally, I don't think failure to use your traffic signal is petty at all. The other drivers are trusting you, if you just move over without a signal it is very dangerous and people could be injured or killed. I'm sure the officer has seen his share of fatal accidents. Maybe dead infants and children which will stay in your mind forever. He did the right thing, he was giving a warning to teach her but she was like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. No wonder he started to lose his temper.

I agree with the poster who said she killed herself because she realized this little fit she threw was going to cost her the job she was so excited about. I feel sorry for her too but she should have thanked the officer instead of pulling the "I have my rights card". The other drivers on the road have their rights too, like keeping their children safe and arriving in one piece.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des91 View Post
Very informational post on the video, which I haven't seen in it's entirety. Thanks.
Yes it was and I do believe she nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events