Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 01:56 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The motive is actually obvious. The cop would have been brought to court and been in trouble if she had bonded out and filed a complaint. He knew that - she kept telling him she could not wait to get to court during the traffic stop and arrest. Waller cops are used to be able to get away with this. This particular jail actually has a suicide problem (so they are not using proper procedures to watch their prisoners).

Note that the partition she supposedly hanged herself from was 5 ft tall and she is 6 ft tall.

Also note - jail cells are usually not allowed to have trash cans and especially trash cans with plastic bags in them.

And note - men are much more likely to suicide than women and white people are 3 times more likely to kill themselves than black people.

Texas jails have a suicide problem in general
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07...d-texas-jails/

Sandra's death is now a murder investigation
Death of Naperville Woman in Texas Jail Now a Murder Investigation

Even if they simply did nothing, they did not properly monitor her - the least they should be charged with is depraved indifference.

So many questions
Questions about Bland case *:*Rutland Herald Online
The statistics on black suicide mean very little because unless there are NO black suicides ever, some black people suffer from mental illness just like everyone else, and some black people actually take their own lives. I happen to know two black families who had children commit suicide in the same town, weeks apart. They even knew each other. I often wonder if suicide isn't "catching" among young people. It happens, it's awful, and I feel so horrible for the families that have to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:04 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The motive is actually obvious. The cop would have been brought to court and been in trouble if she had bonded out and filed a complaint. He knew that - she kept telling him she could not wait to get to court during the traffic stop and arrest. Waller cops are used to be able to get away with this. This particular jail actually has a suicide problem (so they are not using proper procedures to watch their prisoners).

Note that the partition she supposedly hanged herself from was 5 ft tall and she is 6 ft tall.

Also note - jail cells are usually not allowed to have trash cans and especially trash cans with plastic bags in them.

And note - men are much more likely to suicide than women and white people are 3 times more likely to kill themselves than black people.

Texas jails have a suicide problem in general
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07...d-texas-jails/

Sandra's death is now a murder investigation
Death of Naperville Woman in Texas Jail Now a Murder Investigation

Even if they simply did nothing, they did not properly monitor her - the least they should be charged with is depraved indifference.

So many questions
Questions about Bland case *:*Rutland Herald Online
As for the motive, the cop had far more to lose with a dead defendant than he did with a civil rights violation, which would have maybe gotten him some extra training. Besides, the arresting officer was a traffic cop, not a Waller County Sheriff. They do not work for the same entities. He arrests them, and the local county jail jails them and takes them to court. He has nothing to do with them again until the court date, at which time he has to be there to testify.

I just think people are not looking at this logically. He had no motive to come to the jail three days after the arrest to kill her. The other witnesses in jail heard no altercation or commotion in the neighboring cell. Bland went to court in that time period, so she was alive for days after the initial incident. Her friend told her he was trying to get her out but after a while he stopped answering her calls. He said he just assumed her family was working on getting her out. It sounds like she thought she was being abandoned, and for someone in that mental state it could have pushed her over the edge.

As for allowing trash bags, they said it was approved by whoever approves such things. In my mind they were negligent for allowing it after she said she had tried to kill herself previously. And they are negligent for not doing more welfare checks. That's why there will be a civil suit, and they will end up paying money to the family.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:31 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Well, for one, in North Korea, touching an officer and talking back to him is actually not grounds for summary execution:

Stunning new footage of defiance emerges from North Korea – Amanpour - CNN.com Blogs

And dear Christ do I hate Christiane Amanpour with every fiber of my being. So don't accuse me of being a liberal.

But, hey, this is the land of the free. Free to roll over and die for any costumed government thug that decides your life is not worth living.
How old are you? You sound about fourteen. Every mature adult know freedom doesn't mean anarchy.

Actually I'm surprised you're leaving IL. You should like it there since hardly anyone obeys the law.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
As for the motive, the cop had far more to lose with a dead defendant than he did with a civil rights violation, which would have maybe gotten him some extra training. Besides, the arresting officer was a traffic cop, not a Waller County Sheriff. They do not work for the same entities. He arrests them, and the local county jail jails them and takes them to court. He has nothing to do with them again until the court date, at which time he has to be there to testify.

I just think people are not looking at this logically. He had no motive to come to the jail three days after the arrest to kill her. The other witnesses in jail heard no altercation or commotion in the neighboring cell. Bland went to court in that time period, so she was alive for days after the initial incident. Her friend told her he was trying to get her out but after a while he stopped answering her calls. He said he just assumed her family was working on getting her out. It sounds like she thought she was being abandoned, and for someone in that mental state it could have pushed her over the edge.

As for allowing trash bags, they said it was approved by whoever approves such things. In my mind they were negligent for allowing it after she said she had tried to kill herself previously. And they are negligent for not doing more welfare checks. That's why there will be a civil suit, and they will end up paying money to the family.
The bolded text is right. In a civil rights violation case, whatever $$$ is there to pay would be paid by the department's liability insurance or the Union, but definitely not by the cop himself.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Do people really think the cop went to the jail several days later and killed her ?

Old 07-24-2015, 04:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Here's a link to the Autopsy Report and the jail's report

The ME is a well qualified forensic pathologist. Her report is pretty standard and she did a good job of eliminating any cause of death other than suicide. I've never been able to see how this was anything other than a suicide, so the report is consistent with what I thought.

The jail report, I don't know what to say..I don't believe they checked her as frequently as they say (every hour) and I don't know why an inmate who claimed to have a past suicide attempt would not be placed on suicide watch, my guess is that they will get sued for that little 'blunder', and a few jailers might end up looking for new jobs.

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do people really think the cop went to the jail several days later and killed her ?
Judging by some responses here, I would say yes. I read on an article where they showed the video of the officer pulling her out the car that people were actually claiming she was already dead.

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems like some do, yeah. The ones throwing around the word "murder."

Old 07-24-2015, 04:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That's one heck of a lot of speculation. I saw a report on yahoo news that said the medical examiner said the cause of death was suicide. I will see if I can find it and post the link. I saw it earlier this morning.
The media is misleading.

They are doing the investigation "Like" a murder investigation, not "as" a MI.
Big difference in those 2 words and their meaning.

The investigation has ruled a Suicide.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:07 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Yeah, you're right. Cops can't doctor footage and have no reason to lie. And every homicide they declare justified was certainly in defense of freedom.

Thank God you cleared that up for me.
You seriously believe that they doctored the video??

From the facts that have been presented, it's pretty clear this gal committed suicide. The inmate across the hall said she was whimpering and crying most of the time, in her cell. If I had to guess, I would say that she was completely despondent over her actions and the likelihood that she would lose her new job.

Amazed at such conspiracy claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events