Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 05:11 PM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
3 days in jail. Her bond was $500. Her friend didn't come through. Nothing said about the family.
From what I've read she has a history of driving violations, jail time and outstanding fines back in Chicago.

Autopsy also showed old cuts on her wrists. Her Facebook talks about depression and PTSD.
Said she lost a baby and got depressed and took pills.

Family says they don't know anything about all that.
She may not have wanted to worry her family, did she even tell them she was in jail? She probably became pretty distraught when her friend stopped returning her calls, I would have. There are plenty of clubs or organizations, at her old school, that would have posted her bail. I guess she didn't want them to know. The cuts are just sad, that poor kid was fighting demons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
She may not have wanted to worry her family, did she even tell them she was in jail? She probably became pretty distraught when her friend stopped returning her calls, I would have. There are plenty of clubs or organizations, at her old school, that would have posted her bail. I guess she didn't want them to know. The cuts are just sad, that poor kid was fighting demons.
Either that or the family was tired of bailing her out in the past so she didn't call them.
She had outstanding past due fines she didn't pay.

The family also said they didn't know she lost a baby.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
This whole thing is shady.

1. How often are police officers pulling people over for not ginning a lane change. Because I can start taking down license plate numbers. Give me a day and I'll have 100.

2. Since when do people have to get out of the car to be served a minor traffic violation.

3. How is a question and "order" that requires use of force. Notice he said "May I ask you to put your cigarette out?" She said no and suddenly that was violating an order.

The full transcript of the video is quite interesting.

The Transcript Of Sandra Bland's Arrest Is As Revealing As The Video

Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Well I'm waiting with baited breath the multi-million dollar lawsuit by the family charging that the jail facility and employees should have know that their family member who they absolutely insist had "never indicated to them nor ever showed any evidence of any suicide attempts or tendencies" was not watched more closely by the jail staff after she twice indicated to them that she was not depressed and was fine in every visual check and during the many phone calls allowed to her out of her cell. Because the loss of their family member they couldn't scrape up $500 to get out of jail over three days is devastating beyond words that only money can begin to make up for.
This. I keep coming back to this. IMO, this is the only reason this hit the news to begin with. Not defending the cop nor am I calling him out; & Ms. Bland apparently had her own demons to wrestle. But her family....convenient time to start caring about her.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:32 PM

299 posts, read 187,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This whole thing is shady.

1. How often are police officers pulling people over for not ginning a lane change. Because I can start taking down license plate numbers. Give me a day and I'll have 100.
This wasn't some local cop. She was stopped by a Texas DPS trooper. Traffic violations is something they do all day long. I had a nephew failed the driving test for exactly this reason.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:33 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
Judging by some responses here, I would say yes. I read on an article where they showed the video of the officer pulling her out the car that people were actually claiming she was already dead.
The narrative gets pretty far-fetched when those inclined are trying to twist the facts to fit their agenda. Some of those folks really ought to be up for fiction writers of the year awards.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He was out of line - even other police officials say so. Officer Encinio did not follow the procedures he was supposed to follow to deescalate the confrontation, but rather escalated it himself by reaching into the car and trying to drag her out and threatening to light her up with his taser.
Encinio - Hispanic?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The twitter crowd want someone arrested for murder..racist cops specifically.
Waller county has shut down their phone lines at the jail.

And they found out the cop's home address and phone number and posted it.
Yet another cop goes into hiding....

Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
This wasn't some local cop. She was stopped by a Texas DPS trooper. Traffic violations is something they do all day long. I had a nephew failed the driving test for exactly this reason.
As did I. It's absolutely a reason to get pulled over. Not sure why people don't know this.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
As did I. It's absolutely a reason to get pulled over. Not sure why people don't know this.
Because there are lots of people out there who never use their blinkers and probably have no idea that you're supposed to.

My dad is one of those people who never uses his blinkers. It can be dangerous, especially on highways. In general, it helps if other drivers know where you're going...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events