Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 09:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,042,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you kidding ? When driving through small towns in Texas not only do you make sure you use your signals but you stay a bit UNDER the speed limit.

Do you know how many small towns rely on traffic stops for funding ?

Failure to use a turn signal is a traffic offense.

If a cop was right behind you wouldn't you make sure you followed all the rules of driving ?
Too true certain days of the month, in a certain small town in Maine, cops are out in full force passing out tickets. They have a job to do, money to make for the town, etc. etc.

I never have given a cop a load of **** ,while stopped, because I am fearful of the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 AM

42,756 posts, read 25,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The cop was over-agressive, I agree. He probably could have deflated the situation if he had been able to focus on that. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the woman killing herself. HE is not responsible for her death, in ANY way.
I agree there was no causation, but there certainly is a correlation...had he put his big boy pants on, swallowed his pride for a minute and just issued the citation and let her go, it is very doubtful that she would be dead.

The people in charge of that jail need to review their protocol for dealing with an inmate who self reports a suicide attempt, leaving her in a cell with the means to kill herself is inexcusable. I have no doubt she killed herself, but she should not have had the means to do so. My guess, that jail is going to settle this one out of court for 3 or 4 million.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 AM

21,401 posts, read 10,469,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree there was no causation, but there certainly is a correlation...had he put his big boy pants on, swallowed his pride for a minute and just issued the citation and let her go, it is very doubtful that she would be dead.

The people in charge of that jail need to review their protocol for dealing with an inmate who self reports a suicide attempt, leaving her in a cell with the means to kill herself is inexcusable. I have no doubt she killed herself, but she should not have had the means to do so. My guess, that jail is going to settle this one out of court for 3 or 4 million.
Some sense! Agreed that the jail erred in not taking her admission of a suicide attempt more seriously. Poor girl had nothing but her thoughts for company, and in that mental state it was bad. Poor girl. I feel sorry for her and her family.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,799,903 times
Note that the autopsy report in this case has several things wrong with it.

https://www.harriscountytx.gov/ifs/cause.aspx

The cause of death should not be listed as hanging. It should be asphyxiation or strangulation or neck trauma or some other proximate cause. The cause should be etiologically specific.

The manner of death should be suicide or homicide or accident. This is where the hanging would belong in the report.

Also note that the medical examiner at one point admitted that they had not done it properly and asked for her body back to fix that.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,215,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think it is far more likely that she didn't hang herself.

Why is it assumed that she hung herself because she was suffering from depression? It already appeared as if excessive force was being used on her when she was out of the car, as even a fellow officer on the scene questioned. Millions of people suffer from some form of depression every day, but don't hang themselves. The people who knew her best, her family, said that it was very unlikely that she would hang herself, especially with the prospect of a new job within reach. Something terribly wrong happened here.

Given the national attention that white cops all over this country have been getting for exceeding the scope of their authority against blacks, extra caution was likely the better option. An investigation is critical to uncover the truth of what happened, since it is far more likely in this backwards part of the country, that the cops killed her while she was in custody.

I really have no interest in what YOU did when you were stopped, and it has absolutely no relevance to what happened to this poor woman. Support the Confederate flag, make the assumption that she was in the wrong,...I have no interest in this perspective.

I happen to think she was lynched.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,938,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I happen to think she was lynched.
That's why no one takes you seriously. How do you think they accomplished that feat ?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,083,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Read the article please. She was heading back to Texas and about to start a new job and she was pulled over for failing to signal. We don't know what happened but it's reported she kicked the police officer. In the video you see she is yelling and cursing at the cop for slamming her head on the ground and restrain her. She gets thrown in jail and 3 days later she ends up dead. The police say that she committed suicide.
The chick was suffering from depression and security footage at the jail does not show anyone entering nor leaving her cell at the time of her death. It's a sad case, but the evidence shows she committed suicide.

As for the reason she was arrested... I really have no idea why someone thinks getting belligerent with a police officer and resisting arrest is ever going to end well for them. Cops are paid to enforce the laws, not to babysit some entitled jackass having a tantrum because they don't think the laws should apply to them. If Ms. Bland had of showed even an ounce of respect for the officer who pulled her over, then this entire situation would have had a completely different outcome.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,907,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

The cause of death should not be listed as hanging. It should be asphyxiation or strangulation or neck trauma or some other proximate cause. The cause should be etiologically specific.

The manner of death should be suicide or homicide or accident. This is where the hanging would belong in the report.

Also note that the medical examiner at one point admitted that they had not done it properly and asked for her body back to fix that.
She hung herself. The end.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,222,269 times
Quote:

I would attribute that more to being under pressure and being rushed to find answers quick than to incompetence.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:23 PM

17,028 posts, read 14,366,679 times
Quote:

From your own link regarding the cause of death:

Quote:
The Cause of Death is the disease or injury responsible for the lethal sequence of events.
Bland's cause of death is hanging - which is the injury resposible for the lethal sequence of events.

And the ME never said they hadn't done the autopsy correctly. That is a blatant falsehood. What they said is that they may want the body available for future testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events