Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 03:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You want to be sad for the family of this girl but their blaming the poor policeman who was just doing his job when he was confronted by a hostile woman is just making a scapegoat out of him for no reason. I think there is more to this story and it is my belief the policeman was not at fault for anything except not dealing with the situation better. We don't know what else he had been through that day. I certainly hope he had not encountered anyone else that had a mouth on them like she did. I feel bad for her that she is gone and that is what we see to remember her. Goodness, what behavior!

If there is any blame here, I would put it on the police officer that booked her and did not put her on suicide watch. I think that poor traffic policeman has had enough drama for one day.
There was definitely wrongdoing on both sides. But it's pathetic that anyone is trying to connect nonexistent dots between the arresting TX state cop and Sandra in jail three days later and is insinuating that he or any other cop murdered her in her cell. State cops have nothing to do with local jails. To insinuate that this cop who arrested her had anything to do with her death is just a really stupid conclusion to make. People need to stop and actually think about the facts here - and use some logic, too.

She wasn't murdered. The arresting cop had nothing to do with her after she got to jail. I'm willing to bet he went about his life for the next three days and completely forgot about his experience with her until all hell broke loose, with the media (and social media) creating ridiculous controversy ad making outlandish claims out of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I wouldn't go as far as calling her a racist but she is greatly exaggerating Bland's criminal record. Bland has a bad driving record and a misdemeanor possession of marijuana conviction. Traffic violations are civil infractions and generally not considered criminal. The pot conviction is a misdemeanor offense which is minor. Kathryn, who is a white woman, is working overtime falsely portraying Bland, who was a beautiful black woman, as a menace to society.

Btw you play the hype man role to perfection.
No, actually, I'd call someone with numerous DUI arrests a menace to society, no matter what color they are.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Bland has a CHALLENGED driving record which is not CRIMINAL. You two need to stop this madness.
Uh huh.

No one who lost her license for 6 months is a criminal, I know. No one who has thousands in unpaid fines is a criminal. No one who has been arrested or cited multiple times for drug related instances, traffic related instances, and DUIs is a criminal. Only the most violent people - like cops! - are criminals. You have to kill, possibly kill, or assault someone to be a criminal.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM

13,404 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I'm white - in the midst of a very racially diverse family, all of whom I love dearly.

Bland, who happened to be black (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), had SERIOUS traffic offenses, as well as thousands and thousands of unpaid fines, racked up. There is a huge difference (in the danger and in the fines) between speeding under 10 miles over the speed limit and speeding over 25 miles over the speed limit. There is a big difference between an expired registration or inspection sticker and a DUI.

It's also pretty freaking serious to consistently drive without insurance. If you don't believe me yet, check back with me after someone who isn't insured totals your car.

Also, you left out her conviction for theft - and you left out the fact that she owes various courts thousands of dollars in fines.

And you left out the fact that while she was on probation, she violated the terms of the probation. Oh, you left out that she was ever on probation to begin with.

I don't have to "work overtime" to portray Bland as a woman with a consistently and increasingly bad track record when it comes to interactions with the law, police, and the courts. She did a fine job of that in real life all by herself. There's nothing sinister about taking her poor track record into consideration when trying to understand ALL of what went down with her arrest and subsequent death. She was a loose cannon - and one with deep emotional or mental issues as well (she was also a "cutter"). She was headed for a disaster, unfortunately.
Can you cite the source for her being on probation and subsequent violations please?

(I'm not doubting you I've been reading the same material but I can't find the reference).

Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Bland has a CHALLENGED driving record which is not CRIMINAL. You two need to stop this madness.

Since when is a DUI not a criminal record? My gosh, I clearly showed that she was CONVICTED of a DUI.

Quote:
Driving under the influence or DUI is a criminal offense of driving a motor vehicle with an alcohol level which exceeds the legal limit. This offense is also applicable when the offender operates a machine while intoxicated.

Law Dictionary: Is a DUI/DWI charge a crimonal offense or a traffic offense?
Is a DUI/DWI charge a crimonal offense or a traffic offense?

Also, driving on a suspended license is a very serious offense - often punishable by jail time, substantial fines, and possible felony charges:
Why You Really Don't Want to Drive With a Suspended License | DMV.org Articles

Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,908,864 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;40598986]That's a very partial record. What's your source by the way?

Here's a much more complete record:

Suburban Woman Found Dead in Jail Had Previous Encounters With Police | NBC Chicago

Kathryn you act like the lady is a gang banger or some drug kingpin. The woman is DEAD and you are dragging her memory down the toilet which is totally disrespectful. You said what you had to say so just keep it breezy and move on.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM

[quote=Dyadic;40599221]
Quote:
That's a very partial record. What's your source by the way?

Suburban Woman Found Dead in Jail Had Previous Encounters With Police | NBC Chicago

Kathryn you act like the lady is a gang banger or some drug kingpin. The woman is DEAD and you are dragging her memory down the toilet which is totally disrespectful. You said what you had to say so just keep it breezy and move on.
At the risk of again being referred to as a "hype man" (I can handle your attempts to deflect), let me just say that you are being totally dramatic.

Recounting someone's criminal record accurately is not dragging her memory down the toilet. Are the news outlets also reporting in full on her criminal record also dragging her memory down the toilet? Are the public records themselves dragging her memory down the toilet? When someone dies, perhaps we should remove any perceived bad references to them from public record.

Don't know why this quoted weirdly, btw...

Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Can you cite the source for her being on probation and subsequent violations please?

(I'm not doubting you I've been reading the same material but I can't find the reference).
Nope, because I was just about to correct myself and state that she was apparently not on probation at the time - but rather was under "court supervision" whatever that means. While she was on "court supervision" she was caught driving on the suspended license and speeding over 15-21 miles per hour over the speed limit. She was fined during this time as well and simply never paid that fine.
Quote:
March 8, 2014
There is some difference between "court supervision" and "probation." Here is a good article on the differences. The main difference is that "A defendant who successfully completes court supervision gets the benefit of not getting a conviction on their record and having the charges dismissed." So if you successfully complete court supervision, the initial charge is dismissed and never goes on your record. Sandra Bland did not successfully complete her court supervision.
http://garrislawfirm.com/ct-menu-item-11/7-article-6

Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM

[quote=Dyadic;40599221]
Quote:
That's a very partial record. What's your source by the way?

Oh good grief. Spare me the histrionics. We're talking about facts. The facts aren't particularly pleasant but then apparently neither was the person in question. Sad but true. Was she a big time criminal? No. But neither was she an innocent victim.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Bland killed herself after she got herself in trouble.

We're just pointing out the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events