Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You're always going to have a few uncle toms out there. Who cares? 95% of black people do not and will not support the Confederacy and it's flag and of course, what it stands for(White supremacy).
This is what I hate. A black person who dares to do something different or hold an opinion that differs from the majority of black people is an "Uncle Tom". I was called an "Uncle Tom" for working hard in school while everyone fooled around. Guess who's laughing now! I'm in college, relatively debt-free, and looking towards an excellent career with the very real possibility of making a six figure salary.

As a black Pennsylvanian, I would proudly wave the Confederate Flag. First of all, to some, it is a symbol of Southern heritage. I'm a Northerner from super-urban Philadelphia, so I can't really relate. With that said, however, I wouldn't call a person out on what they believe the Confederate Flag to symbolize. Most importantly, however, I would do it in support of free expression. There were little to no issues with the flag before the tragedy in Charleston. Now, because some psycho thug and offended people, it is being taken away and off of store shelves. I do realize that government buildings are public property and should be under the scrutiny of the public, and I do realize that retailers are private businesses who can pick and choose what to sell; however, this sets a scary precedent. If another domestic terrorist attack happens, what will be taken next? It is also worth noting that this controversy has inspired the criminal behavior known as #NoFlagging. No matter how you look at it, the fact remains that whoever steals someone else's flag is a THIEF, trespassing on private property to carry out their criminal behavior.

I'm a Northerner and proudly fly Old Glory, but I REFUSE to come down on someone else for what they believe in. I wear the title "Uncle Tom" with pride. When I hear "Uncle Tom", I usually think of a successful black man who is not afraid to speak on issues that the majority of black people have a set opinion on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post
"That's not to negate personal responsibility, but it's to point out how deeply entrenched these problems are."

HUH?
Of course that's all you can respond to. Until you see the impact of broader social structures, of generations of disinvestment, red lining, wealth stripped, families separated, you can't really comment.

The solution is not as simple as you want it to be.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
There were little to no issues with the flag before the tragedy in Charleston.
Actually, there was, continuously. You just weren't hearing it in Philadelphia.

Here is the thing: There have always been private citizens in the south displaying the Confederate battle flag (which is the particular flag we're talking about), but that is not the primary issue.

The state governments had not flown any flag of the Confederacy since the Civil War, and certainly not the battle flag. They hoisted the Confederate battle flag over state buildings--in some cases replacing the US flag--in 1963 specifically to protest the Civil Rights Act. This was not a "historical heritage" thing, this was a political "eff you" thing to the rights of black people to vote or have equal access to public facilities.

The issue is removing the Confederate battle flag from the government buildings. Private citizens can continue to wave whatever they want.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-18-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 07:55 PM

421 posts, read 410,708 times
Quote:
This is what I hate. A black person who dares to do something different or hold an opinion that differs from the majority of black people is an "Uncle Tom". I was called an "Uncle Tom" for working hard in school while everyone fooled around. Guess who's laughing now! I'm in college, relatively debt-free, and looking towards an excellent career with the very real possibility of making a six figure salary.

As a black Pennsylvanian, I would proudly wave the Confederate Flag. First of all, to some, it is a symbol of Southern heritage. I'm a Northerner from super-urban Philadelphia, so I can't really relate. With that said, however, I wouldn't call a person out on what they believe the Confederate Flag to symbolize. Most importantly, however, I would do it in support of free expression. There were little to no issues with the flag before the tragedy in Charleston. Now, because some psycho thug and offended people, it is being taken away and off of store shelves. I do realize that government buildings are public property and should be under the scrutiny of the public, and I do realize that retailers are private businesses who can pick and choose what to sell; however, this sets a scary precedent. If another domestic terrorist attack happens, what will be taken next? It is also worth noting that this controversy has inspired the criminal behavior known as #NoFlagging. No matter how you look at it, the fact remains that whoever steals someone else's flag is a THIEF, trespassing on private property to carry out their criminal behavior.

I'm a Northerner and proudly fly Old Glory, but I REFUSE to come down on someone else for what they believe in. I wear the title "Uncle Tom" with pride. When I hear "Uncle Tom", I usually think of a successful black man who is not afraid to speak on issues that the majority of black people have a set opinion on.
I admire you want to say thanks for posting your opinion which versus the mob mentality that is affecting our country.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:

Big difference between someone who works hard in school and ends up successful and one who supports the Confederacy, white supremacy, and ultimately slavery.

I would never call someone an uncle tom who does the former because there are plenty of blacks who are successful and are comfortable in their own skin...my dad for instance. It's clear and obvious you hate blacks and that's fine that you're a self-hater. You're the type of person who wishes subconsciously they were white. You're about the perfect example of an uncle tom.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
I know a way that we could save money(that would otherwise be spent through welfare and prison expense) by offering any black who hates America, wipes their butts with the flag etc..., passage back to Africa.
Blacks who live here never had a choice to immigrate to USA. They were born here because whites forced their ancestors on boats and subjugated them into slavery(which is what the Confederate flag stands for). It's as much black's country as it is whites. They've been here for just as long so don't tell African Americans to "go back to Africa". How about you go back to Europe if you don't like blacks being in this country? There are plenty of European countries where the black population percentage if less than 1%.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 PM

Actually a great many of blacks brought here were criminals in their own country and were better off in this country.

We all start at zero. It's what we do with ourselves after that that counts...negatively or positively

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Quote:
I find this refreshing. To many southerners the rebel flag means home.
Treason and failure is what home feels like?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:49 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,822 times
Quote:
Actually a great many of blacks brought here were criminals in their own country and were better off in this country.

We all start at zero. It's what we do with ourselves after that that counts...negatively or positively
Lol ok..

1) Your point about criminals is BS to deflect, whites were brought as criminals too, though many of the slaves were simply families. Most were from African tribes conquered by other African tribes and sold to white slavers. In the US they were bred into a race based slavery system.

2) "We all start at zero" In this scenario the black people are starting at a negative value compared to their white counterparts... you know since as a slave they were just property and not considered real people, unlike that white person who came over and could actually work and earn money, buy property etc. Heck until about 40 years ago after the civil rights movement you couldn't even argue them being a 0 relatively.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:01 AM

150 years ago? Good grief. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events