Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 06:28 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Besides.....8 years ago, McCain NOT being a hero was the mantra of the left!

Absolutely correct!
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the information about McCain's academic history and his military record was publicized during the 2008 campaign by some fringe groups. In light of this reality, I have to wonder how many of Trump's current supporters also supported McCain in 2008, despite knowing about his academic and military background.

If you were a McCain supporter despite knowing about his past, and you now support Trump's trashing of McCain, how can you explain this hypocritical duality of positions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
The amazing thing is that there are still people who will defend him. I clicked on this thread thinking that surely there's no defense of this. Boy, was I wrong.

That must be some sweet tasting Kool-Aid.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
... A Presidential race between him and Hillary would be fun to watch.
Well, that's for sure.

We've got 15 months to listen to this BS. Whatever else, the Donald puts it out there....generally truthfully, which is a whole new concept in politics. Wait till he goes after Hillary over her "I didn't know I was supposed to use a secure server for my emails". What? Huh? Where? Who? Stutter......

Whatever else, its a change.....and certainly couldn't be any worse than the bunch of lying, self aggrandizing bunch of criminals we now have lining their pockets in DC.

Sure...why not.... we've pretty much got very little to lose at this point, and it just might...MIGHT....work. Imagine...The Donald...and Ben Netanyahu....running Washington.

THAT's a new world order, for sure!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I'm not a veteran of the military or anything but I am a veteran user of sarcasm... People use sarcasm to point out something that is obvious. In this case, he was comparing 2 types of heroes. He later stated that he likes ones captured and respect the captured.

It was pretty obvious he was using sarcasm. Equality should exist even in "war hero" status. He also stated that he thinks McCain should have done more for these heroes. Perhaps the sarcasm was that as a hero he didn't act like one in making life better for those heroes (POW or not). Anyone who serves is a hero.

I think most Americans respect this kind of direct speech and sarcasm but some are overly sensitive.
People nowadays have a hair trigger when it comes to anyone in the military, almost like they're living gods walking among us mere mortals.
Using the criteria of the outraged Bo Burgdahl is a hero because he survived "captivity".

I think many are so sensitive today because of the flood of injured service people returning home from our different wars and hearing and seeing that they are NOT being treated/served by the military and our government like they should be.
Y'all realize McCain is one of the people in charge who ALLOW the wounded warriors to be treated like crap and denied the services we, as a nation promised them when they (the serviceman) signed their life on the dotted line.
Groups like Wounded Warriors and the group that buys Track Chairs for vets should NOT have to exist.

Good thing they do and great job they're doing but in a proper working government they would not have to seek donations, constantly fundraise to get things that they were promised just before boot camp.
The government pisses away more money in 5 minutes in just one day than it would cost to give every wounded warrior a track chair if they need one. That's just one example.

McCain is the head of the Armed Services Committee which has control of the VA. The VA hospitals are (reportedly) still shafting the vets they're supposed to serve and yet good old John (the wounded war hero) is nowhere to be seen.
One would think as a person who's been there he'd be screaming from the mountain tops demanding resolution but instead his home state is ground zero for the debacle and is still not fixed.

So, do I respect McCain for serving in the military? Sure, he willingly went to war. Is he a hero? Nope, but I think he has been trading on his service seemingly enriching himself at the expense of thousands of wounded warriors (some who ARE real Heros) and basically leaving his "brothers" to fend for themselves.
I'll leave y'al with this thought. Back when the Vietnam Vets were coming home they were spit on by, insulted by, and forgotten by many of the citizens of this nation and were taken care of by the government. I submit that what happened to those vets is happening now but not from the citizens, no, it's from the very government who should be protecting them.

Last edited by jimj; 07-21-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
I like ice cream. That doesn't mean I don't like cookies.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
In other news, McCain called a group of 15,000 American citizens "crazies" in order to cowtow to a group of illegals.

Here's a tip.....don't criticize others if you don't want criticism thrown back at you.

This is all nonsense.

Please show us an instance where "the Left" claimed that McCain was not a war hero. Only Trump is that crazy.

No mainstream person with a brain on either the Republican or Democrat side would be stupid enough to go on anti-immigrant and anti-Hispanic rants, then go and attack veterans, POWs and war heros. He basically alienated everyone. He lost all his sponsors; his brand is now toxic.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
John McCain is the one that is dumb as a bag of rocks. He graduated at the bottom of his class.
Pretty sure he could name a newspaper or magazine if asked.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
In other news, McCain called a group of 15,000 American citizens "crazies" in order to cowtow to a group of illegals.

Here's a tip.....don't criticize others if you don't want criticism thrown back at you.

Show me where this happened, I was very involved in that election and none of us (all left) commented negatively on his military service. I do not remember this aspect in the slightest let alone it being a "mantra".

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
You know, I was never a POW, nor can I imagine the experience of being interrogated by the enemy, so I have no right to judge his behavior in war time and in the enemies hands. As far as stories by other POW's, I don't know the situation but we knew the enemy exerts physical as well as psychological techniques on prisoners and officers were given "extra attention", so..........

But this isn't about how one man handled his captivity, nor whether he deserves the title of hero. This is about a pompous candidate questioning a veterans service to his country, and he denegrated all POW's and not just McCain's. Trump could have questioned his performance as a senator, he could have criticized his record as a politician, but he did'nt. He attacked the man's service to his country as a soldier. Draft dodger Trump isn't worthy to wipe McCains a**.
Couldn't rep you again, but wholeheartedly agree.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I heard him say McCain, not all POW's. Your making up that part and its only an opinion.
But all POWs got captured, and Trump said he liked people who didn't get captured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events