Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,581,617 times

Advertisements

Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds - The Washington Post

Quote:
Here’s a research finding that should surprise no one: The men most likely to harass women online … are the men most likely to have their own problems.

That bit of validation comes courtesy Michael Kasumovic and Jeffrey Kuznekoff, researchers at the University of New South Wales and Miami University, respectively. For their latest study, published in the journal PLOS One last week, the duo watched how men treated women during 163 plays of the video game Halo 3.

As they watched the games play out and tracked the comments that players made to each other, the researchers observed that — no matter their skill level, or how the game went — men tended to be pretty cordial to each other. Male players who were good at the game also tended to pay compliments to other male and female players.

Some male players, however — the ones who were less-skilled at the game, and performing worse relative their peers — made frequent, nasty comments to the female gamers. In other words, sexist dudes are literally losers.
I've read the comments on other articles and the men say things such as it's stupid to use an old game like Halo 3 for an example and other things trying to dismiss it, but it sure makes a lot of sense to me.

Male gamers that are bad at a game are more likely to hurl abuse, especially at women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 06:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Maybe "who harass women" should be removed from the thread title.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,042,845 times
How else are you going to break her spirit?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,622,001 times
Oh I knew this from day 1 on battlenet. Good thing I learned early that these losers will get really sore when you bring up how fat and unattractive they are that they have to get attention from females this way.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,852,135 times
This why I quit certain games.
Some people are annoying as hell.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,970,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Maybe this comment is out of line. Video games are a valid hobby for most. No worse than watching 80% of the stuff on TV that's called "entertainment."

Unfortunately there will always be gamers that do this sort of thing, and women and the teen/preteen demographic are just as guilty of it as the male population. I turn off all voice chats in games that I play, most people don't bother with text chats for these insults, and it is much easier to ignore the text than the voice.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,221,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
1/10 troll harder

Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
That's why you don't do voice chat unless it's with your guild and never give away your sex in text chat.
Been a gamer since the 80's..female here.

I'm no noob. I can pwn those loser epeens in pvp. (translation: I can player own those losers with inflated egos in player vs player battle).

Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 PM

807 posts, read 899,764 times
The headline report is just a statement of the obvious although it doesn't hurt to have that confirmation done in peer-reviewed form.

Male gamers who go out of their way to harass women online are merely a subset of the larger group of losers who harass other people when they think that there is a low chance for successful retribution.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,722,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Male gamers that are bad at a game are more likely to hurl abuse, especially at women.
This is why I like games that match you against people your own level. If you get really good at a game like League of Legends, you simply never encounter any flamers and trolls (or at least don't encounter them often). All the stupid little kids and dumb losers are also pretty bad at video games skill wise, so you'll never match up with/against them. Once you're in about 90th+ percentile skill level wise, the people there only care about in game actions and trying to get better at the game, this is pretty much across the board in any video game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events