Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,285,190 times

Advertisements

Promposals, LGBT anti-discrimination language, Tea Party, postponement, and a famous right-wing media presence:I guess "live and let live" and "treat people as equals" and "protection from majority tyranny" are foreign concepts here.

We had considered going out there to support a yes vote on the proposal. Here were a few of my comments from our neighborhood Facebook page, where many were reacting as if this was going to be the fall of Western Civilization, people were threatening to pull their kids out of the school district (because of a "safety" issue), the word "evil" was thrown around, and several residents were seen lamenting the rampant discrimination against Christian heterosexual white males these days:
Quote:
To paraphrase one of our Founding Fathers, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Everyone deserves equal access and protection, regardless of who they are.
--------------------
This is from the article I posted:

"In Fort Worth, school district policy has included protective language for LGBT students since June 2011, said school district spokesperson Clint Bond. Interim superintendent Patricia Linares said in an e-mail that 'students have a right to learn in an environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Discrimination directed at students or conducted by students is not acceptable in the Fort Worth ISD.' "

We're only four years behind, compared to FWISD. This should happen, finally. In this country we believe in protecting the rights of minorities from the predations of the majority.
--------------------
So promposals are ostensibly forbidden by school policy (they were at my high school as well, but they still happened). So what? Why does KISD want to continue a policy to ostracize and support discrimination?
--------------------
Tolerance does not mean nurturance. Why can't people just leave others ALONE? Live your OWN life, worry about your OWN life, let others live THEIR lives. Nobody is making you do anything, there is no "slippery slope" here. Treat people as individuals and with a modicum of respect, be a Helper when you can (not a Controller), be a good person, and don't support mean-spirited discriminatory practices.
Thoughts? How is it in the school district(s) where you live, here in the latter half of the year 2015?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,693,806 times
Why does there need to be specific anti-discrimination language towards any one group?

Every school I've ever attended has had broad "no harassment, no discrimination, no bullying" rules in place, enforced regardless of who was doing it and who was targeted.

If robbery is illegal all the way across the board, do you need specific laws that prohibit you from robbing Asians, Jews and Native Americans? To me it just comes across as some sort of "double secret probation" type thing and otherwise redundant.

If the school is already having problems enforcing the rules that exist on the books, I don't know how adding more rules will be some sort of healing salve. If kids are being bullied or mistreated, regardless of the reason, the school needs to enforce its authority to crack down on the violators.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,141,740 times
Fortunately, where I live, there is no need for those regulations, because the student body would shun individuals that acted that way. This generation has left us in the dust in terms of being inclusive and tolerant. Most of them simply don't give a sh1t about race or sexual identity.

They tend to laugh at our hang ups.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 PM

546 posts, read 409,703 times
If "promposals" are banned for every student, then it's not discrimination.

But this is an asinine thing to get up in arms about. Whatever will your children do at school without being able to bully the gays? I dunno, maybe learn something useful?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Why does there need to be specific anti-discrimination language towards any one group?

Every school I've ever attended has had broad "no harassment, no discrimination, no bullying" rules in place, enforced regardless of who was doing it and who was targeted.

If robbery is illegal all the way across the board, do you need specific laws that prohibit you from robbing Asians, Jews and Native Americans? To me it just comes across as some sort of "double secret probation" type thing and otherwise redundant.

If the school is already having problems enforcing the rules that exist on the books, I don't know how adding more rules will be some sort of healing salve. If kids are being bullied or mistreated, regardless of the reason, the school needs to enforce its authority to crack down on the violators.
Exactly. "No harassment, no discrimination, no bullying" covers what the school needs covered. This includes the mistreatment of gays, minorities, Caucasians, Satan worshipers, poor kids, Christians, the disabled, females, males, transsexuals, UFO abductees, kids who think they are a horse, rich kids, special needs kids, wimpy kids, goth kids, athletes, nerds, ...... or any other identity a kid can dream up. Just rules to treat others with dignity and respect is all that is needed.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,277,120 times
My son goes to a private Christian school. Very very diverse school that operates with parents as partners in every decision made that impacts the student body. I love the school by the way and I'm not even Christian(but that's another discussion lol). Bullying and discrimination are not allowed. However because it is a Christian school they are not necessarily with the LGBT movement-I don't think there is anything in place to address that. Then again they get taught from the bible as well, so.... I don't think they teach the kids that homosexuality is anything beyond a sin. But any type of harassment or bullying is not allowed and is addressed the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events