Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd rather provide birth control than provide for poorly raised children, and as is too often the case their children. That's just pragmatism though, not because I think people have some sort of ordained right to free birth control.
Exactly! I don't understand why any taxpayer wouldn't want to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Sounds like she does have some shame, that's a good thing.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I believe that it is nice to help others. But, that doesn't answer the question regarding obligation.

I already stated that I think its wonderful when we do help each other and especially those less fortunate. But, I don't see any reason that we should be obligated to help. Rather, I think people, all of us, are obligated to help ourselves and our families to succeed and to nt be a burdon on society.
Kind like I got mine, you get yours?

I do not know the answer to foodstamps, other gov programs, how to bring back jobs etc...

I do know that it has nothing to do with judging our neighbors or the person in front of us in the grocery line.

A lot of people are worried and angry about the gov programs others are gobbling up. But many forget what else the politicians are doing because the crowd is out back fighting in the sandbox.

I do know the solution involves love, caring, kindness. Any word(s) or action(s) in opposition to these will bring nothing good.

It will take all of us and 'all of us' is different from all other times in history.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would be interesting to know more of her details. She went to college but never made more than $11/hr.
Kids? How many did she choose to have and why no child support from the babies daddies.
Child support expensive? Sounds like she has maybe 2 older kids.

Doesn't sound like she's abusing the system. That should not be a problem.
Bad choices in life? Probably but we all make a few.
Whatever else might be said about her off and on food stamp use ( and not knowing the details of her life, I figure judgement is not mine to make), she appears to be using them appropriately to stretch her food dollar and make nutrious choices for herself and her children. And that is a good thing.

I couldn't help but thinking as I read her story that she is one of millions of people trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty, and if she could figure a way out of it she would.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Kind like I got mine, you get yours?

I do not know the answer to foodstamps, other gov programs, how to bring back jobs etc...

I do know that it has nothing to do with judging our neighbors or the person in front of us in the grocery line.

A lot of people are worried and angry about the gov programs others are gobbling up. But many forget what else the politicians are doing because the crowd is out back fighting in the sandbox.

I do know the solution involves love, caring, kindness. Any word(s) or action(s) in opposition to these will bring nothing good.

It will take all of us and 'all of us' is different from all other times in history.
From what I've seen/read, that's not exactly it. It seems it's less about overall expense, and not even about individuals who cheat/misuse 'the system,' than the growing trend of wanting to dismiss everybody, regardless of situation/circumstances.
I've read comments here on CD and other places, and it's like "What- are there no poorhouses, no prisons?!"

This particular topic- food stamps- is only one example. While state-by-state discrepancies make it more confusing (and in my opinion, downright wrong), it seems the growing trend is to dismiss something as basic as the need for food as "all of those welfare bums" or "they must have made 'poor choices'." In other words, failing to see a difference between "the chronically-unemployed" and those who work hard for a living but need a little help.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post

I do not know the answer to foodstamps, other gov programs, how to bring back jobs etc....
I do. Cut it off for anyone working age after more than a few weeks. The problem will take care of itself. You would be amazed at how much a hungry belly can motivate people to take responsibility.

Foodstamps should be a short term stop gap, not a lifestyle choice.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It doesn't sound like she's doing anything illegal, so I don't have a problem with it. Having to go on and off of it for sixteen years is troubling though, I'd move.
Considering the economy, her apparent skill set and lack of experience or education which might enable her to get a higher paying job, it might not be a wise move on her part to go anywhere else, considering that at least she has some family support where she is now.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
From what I've seen/read, that's not exactly it. It seems it's less about overall expense, and not even about individuals who cheat/misuse 'the system,' than the growing trend of wanting to dismiss everybody, regardless of situation/circumstances.
I've read comments here on CD and other places, and it's like "What- are there no poorhouses, no prisons?!"

This particular topic- food stamps- is only one example. While state-by-state discrepancies make it more confusing (and in my opinion, downright wrong), it seems the growing trend is to dismiss something as basic as the need for food as "all of those welfare bums" or "they must have made 'poor choices'." In other words, failing to see a difference between "the chronically-unemployed" and those who work hard for a living but need a little help.
A lot of us are not as unfeeling as you think. We've been around long enough when times were good to know that people threw away their opportunity or wanted immediate gratification. Rather than do what it took to have long term success, these people took the fun and easy way out. They never did anything to build themselves up over the long term. Then they had children. Their choices lowered the opportunities for those children. Then those children have now come into the system and are producing children of their own. It's not a race issue. I've seen it in people who come from backgrounds similar to mine. It was poor choices. You can only educate so much and them you have to allow people to make their choices based on their own free will.

Sure, some people end up with hardships that are not of their own making. That's why we have welfare programs. Unfortunately, the people who make poor choices make it harder for everyone.

Believe it or not, some of us cold, hard unfeeling people do try to help others. I know that I only have a limited amount of resources to help others. Even in my own life I have to prioritize and allocate how I share those resources. For some people, I will give money. To others, I will give things I no longer use or need. Some people just get encouragement or a smile. For others, I will actively donate my time. I prefer to give a helping hand to those I know are trying to help themselves than throw it away on someone I think will waste it.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I do. Cut it off for anyone working age after more than a few weeks. The problem will take care of itself. You would be amazed at how much a hungry belly can motivate people to take responsibility.

Okay, so you cut the mom's foodstamps, which in all honesty are rant for her children not her. And then she can't feed her kids.

A hungry belly might motivate her to find a job, but I'm not willing to let kids go hungry because of their parents poor choices or hard luck.

Malnourished kids has a host of problems in childhood such as struggling in school because when you're starving you can't focus or even retain what you're learning.

Unfortunately there is no way to give a 5 year old an EBT card to buy their own food. Therefore parents get the benefits.

But don't punish the kids born into poverty.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Anger. Check Got it. Now can I get a list of the jobs to accommodate all these FS users?

Granted the numbers are going down and restrictions are lowing the numbers too. So, where will the rest find work???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events