Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM

4,064 posts, read 2,151,434 times

Advertisements

In Roswell, Georgia, a neighboring suburb in metro Atlanta, a law was passed a year ago that banned cursing in public. I thought it seemed like it would be too difficult to enforce and that there were probably other more important issues for them to be concerned with. Wondered how it coincided with First Amendment rights, but liked the idea of a more civil society.

Shortly after the law was put in place, a woman was arrested because she swore at a cop who was called to the movie theater where she bought a movie ticket, allegedly with a bogus gift card (don't know the particulars of why the ticket seller thought this---and the woman did have a receipt in her purse, but did not initially produce it). So now she is filling a lawsuit against the theater as well as the city:

Well, %#@. Why the lifting of Roswell’s ban on public cussing is important | Political Insider blog

I don't understand the whole thing. Someone please explain.

NOW Roswell's legal department decides that the law was against First Amendment rights? Where were they when it was written and approved?

"And so one purpose of the lawsuit, still in its early stages, will be to determine whether the ordinance was used to escalate unpleasant police encounters with minorities into something more."
I understand that the plaintiff's attorney will do whatever s/he can to win the case. But why the focus on minorities? Isn't anyone capable of swearing, including at police officers? Is the implication that a person of minority status is more likely to swear?

It may be true that police have to develop a thicker skin----but it will also be equally true that we all do. Even if we'd rather not hear swearing, it's now part of the culture and more acceptable at large, so we just have to learn to live with it...but don't you think the Founding Fathers are turning over in their graves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:53 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,029,128 times
Virginia Beach has the same law as well. From my experience it works out pretty well. I don't know of anyone that has been arrested for it. Its more of a public shaming thing.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:24 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,937,075 times
I'd tell you what I really think, but the computer censor won't let me

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
I'd be so f$&@$ed if they passed this law where I live.

I find people who never curse frightening. It's rude to curse in front of other people's children, or at someone, but if you stub your toe and don't utter a swear word... You scare me.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,029,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'd be so f$&@$ed if they passed this law where I live.

I find people who never curse frightening. It's rude to curse in front of other people's children, or at someone, but if you stub your toe and don't utter a swear word... You scare me.
Or just have self control.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times
Dad would say ,"vulgarity is the desperate effort of a feble mind to express it's self forcably."
One of the reasons I have turned down jobs is due to the vulgarity the management used in their business dealings.
It is disrespectful and abusive IMO.
There are principles of life I have learned, with regard to those things we speak.
You strive for power when you say things , but throw away that power by misusing it.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Or just have self control.
A crazy amount of it. Scary.

I refrain from swearing in public or at work for the most part, and I almost never swear at a person, but a well-placed curse word can make a statement or a joke.

The only comedian I know of who never swears and lectures others on it is.... Bill Cosby. Scary.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM

926 posts, read 762,388 times
In Honolulu if you say 'Oh Frick,' mothers are running away holding their hands over their childrens ears and everyone stares at you.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 AM

17,632 posts, read 13,420,761 times
Whatever happened to 1st Amendment rights of free speech. those local laws are bulls**t

Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,382,720 times
doesn't the idea of curse words go back hundreds of years w/the church?

sums it up for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events