Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 11:37 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Kobe Bryant got criticized coming into the league because he wasnt "black" enough and didnt have any street cred
Every black football player in the NFL sounds white to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM

282 posts, read 437,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every black football player in the NFL sounds white to me
Not understanding if you are trying to be funny or serious, so im not going to answer with any names.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:34 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Use to be a columnist in the Rocky Mountain News who was black and he time and again berated black people for blaming their problems on white people, never taking the time or effort to make themselves better, always taking the easy/lazy way out, and thinking that just because you are black that dealing drugs, being a hoe and sponging off everyone is ok...

He was ALWAYS getting hate mail, stopped on the street and threatened by the black people and getting his property vandalized...

The truth hurts I guess...

Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
In the 1950s and earlier, the main institution that helped young black men escape from poverty was the United States Army. That institution has done more to promote literacy and professionalism among the poor, especially among the poor black population, than anything else in this country.

Too bad that the liberals running the show today don't recognize that fact. They see the military as a necessary evil, to be starved of funding and looked down upon in general.

I believe that the best solution to the anti-intellectualism, poverty, and violence of the inner cities is economic opportunity (military opportunity is also not bad, but it's not enough). We need to promote reinvestment in the cities, get businesses, factories, plants, depots, etc. to open up in the poorer spots and provide a pathway out of despair.

All it takes is intelligent leadership. Liberal wealth redistribution has failed. Liberal big government-knows-best has failed. Set-aside programs and affirmative action programs have all failed, because they've just marginalized the poor and under achiever populations, rather than extended them some self-respect and encouragement which is what they really need.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:12 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeou...3886776976603/

I usually DESPISE Mediatakeout, but this video really hits home for me.

I attended some of the worst public schools in Pennsylvania when I lived in the ghetto as a little kid. Between 2003-2009 (3rd-8th grade), I was bullied in this manner all because I was a black kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. I "talked white", did my work, made honor roll 7 out of 9 times between 6th (when the program was started)-8th grade, made it into a gifted program, and graduated near the top of my middle school class. I got the hell out of my old school district and attended a private Catholic HS. I graduated in 2013 and am now a rising junior in college.

Why is success equated with "whiteness"? Why is academic passion/prowess looked down upon? Why do the underclass of black people try to drag those black men and women who are trying to succeed down by saying that they are less black? This attitude is why so many black people are where they are today. It has nothing to do with the white man or "oppression", but rather this attitude. When I attended Catholic HS, I was NEVER harassed for trying to succeed by my white peers. They treated me as an equal and I never had any problems.

The best revenge is success. Sure, the victim did give the thug bully a good a** kicking, but his future success will be the salt in the thug's wound. I love driving around the area I grew up in (I return because some family still lives there) and seeing those who bullied me either in jail or on the streets with nothing going for them. In the end, I won and they lost. While I am set towards becoming an actuary or financial analyst, all some of those former bullies will ever be are small-time drug dealers.
"Living well is the best revenge" - George Herberrt, English clergyman & metaphysical poet (1593 - 1633)

Still true five hundred years later.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:22 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Use to be a columnist in the Rocky Mountain News who was black and he time and again berated black people for blaming their problems on white people, never taking the time or effort to make themselves better, always taking the easy/lazy way out, and thinking that just because you are black that dealing drugs, being a hoe and sponging off everyone is ok...

He was ALWAYS getting hate mail, stopped on the street and threatened by the black people and getting his property vandalized...

The truth hurts I guess...
Because he was not speaking the truth, he was generalizing(Kinda like most of you guys do on this Board)
I think the reason why a lot of Smart Black kids get pick on is because, they tend to think they are better than everybody else. I don't think being different has anything to do with it imo.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Its all nonsense. Its no different than the mob connected kids (insert ethnicity) making fun of or bullying the kids and families that don't adhere to that way of life. Everyone cheers when the op describes his experience but we celebrate and glorify the mob/mafia/triads/Slavic mobs (insert type of mob) . movie after movie, reality show after reality show.... There are low intelligence morons in all races. When I was growing up street cred was given to those who had the balls to be themselves... ... You can walk in any hood or ghetto. It doesn't belong to anyone..

Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Envy the swag. Lol

Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Oh, how I LOVED that one! Loved it!!!!

Reminds me of the days of my youth!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM

44 posts, read 103,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This attitude is very real. Just talking intelligently at all can get a person in trouble if in the wrong neighborhoods.

The attempt to get out of a bad environment is also looked down upon on many of our Indian reservations no different than in the black ghettos.

Congratulations to you PhilliesPhan. It's better to emulate Dr. Ben Carson than Kanye West.
Except for the fact that Ben Carson is a right wing traitor with terrible policies, lol. Kanye West is more successful than Ben Carson too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events