Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,811,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Has anyone else noticed how half the posters who profess such an undying love for the English language can't manage to crank out a grammatically correct paragraph in English? If they've even heard of an indirect object, they can't begin to identify one. And if you asked them to point out the conjunction in a sentence, they'd have to quickly google 'what is a conjunction?' first in order to pretend that they knew what one was all along.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Personally, I think immigrants should learn English. But I think so for their own good, not because my fragile feelings get hurt if I'm within earshot of a private conversation spoken in another language. In a similar vein, if native speakers of English are too lazy and/or stupid to learn the proper usage of their mother tongue, it's no skin off my nose.
Dang! Couldn't rep you again, U. This post is like buttah. Buttah!

Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,850,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What was the point of the son repeating over and over "you are going to die soon". It was kind of creepy and almost sounded like a threat.
He was fed up with trying to reason with the old cow his mother took great offense to her comments and was quite emotional he showed more restraint than I would have his voice remained calm I give him credit for that I would have yelled at her. He wasn't threatening her get a grip he was telling her she was old and didn't have much longer to live.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:42 PM

62,697 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
OMG!!!1!! You have to HEAR another language!!! You poor, oppressed person!

And how do you know how many years someone has been here? Are you asking to see their papers? How do you know they aren't visiting family here in the states? Or are recent arrivals? You don't know and it's none of your damn business!
When it is spoken loudly out in public rather than quietly and privately and I am surrounded by it day in and day out wherever I go yes I object to it. All I can tell you is with the number of Spanish speakers that do it all the time it is hard to believe that they have all been here a short time, or are visiting relatives. I didn't say that they are all here illegally either. It's more than likely that many are not. When it interfers with other's enjoyment in a restaurant or any other public place it IS my/their business.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
He was fed up with trying to reason with the old cow his mother took great offense to her comments and was quite emotional he showed more restraint than I would have his voice remained calm I give him credit for that I would have yelled at her. He wasn't threatening her get a grip he was telling her she was old and didn't have much longer to live.
So again, what was his point of telling her she was old and didn't have much longer to live? What's that have to do with it? It was as though he was salivating over it.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
How fortunate you are to have met most Spanish speakers.
What was fortunate about meeting rude people?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
How rude of that woman to criticize a mother for speaking in her native tongue! This country is a melting pot of cultures, races, religions, and languages. That lady has forgotten what it means to be an American.
Part of being an American is assimilating into our society.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
So do you whisper when you are in public? You seem very bitter and sound like a dictator.

As long as people aren't hurting others, let people do as they please.
No, but when I am having a private conservation in public I don't raise my voice or shout either so that everyone can hear me.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,850,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So again, what was his point of telling her she was old and didn't have much longer to live? What's that have to do with it? It was as though he was salivating over it.
What's there to figure out, he was offended by her words and demeanor his statement reflected the frame of mind he was in at that moment his words were intended to be retribution(he was trying to get under her skin), people often aren't very logical when they're emotional. That's may take on it.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 PM

18,063 posts, read 25,158,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
https://youtu.be/Ej6XXc6Kq90

Latina Mom Berated Publicly for Speaking Spanish in a Restaurant - NBC News

How disgusting. So what if a family is speaking Spanish or Russian or Italian or any other language. America does not have a national language, no one is required to learn/speak English.
Funny,
I never see the so-called "Liberal news media" reporting this attacks on people's freedom

Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 PM

31,747 posts, read 26,664,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most jobs require that you speak English while on the clock and rightly so!
I've forgotten more about working in hospitals and nursing homes than you probably ever have known, and am here to tell you especially among the assistants/aides things are what they are. You are hard pressed to find anyone much less "American speaking" only willing to work for wages and conditions found in even some of the better places.

Yes, some places do have "English speaking only" rules but it can only go so far:
https://www.aclu.org/news/nursing-ho...h-care-workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events