Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 04:59 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times

Advertisements

Rednecks thinking only English should be spoken everywhere, even in private among friends and family.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I am waiting for somebody to tell me to go back to England because I speak English, why can't I go back to Australia or Canada.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Rednecks thinking only English should be spoken everywhere, even in private among friends and family.
1. The lady in the video wasn't a redneck. Not even close.

2. The Spanish-speaking people weren't in private, they were in a public restaurant.

3. This redneck right here doesn't care what language you speak when you're having a private conversation, as long as you're keeping your volume low enough that you're not being discourteous to others.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country and WTH does that have to do with the topic at hand about language usage? White people? Do you actually think that Blacks, Asians etc. want to listen to that Spanish babble all day long? The fact that we are hearing it all day long just reminds us of the illegal invasion we are having from south of our border. You never used to hear much Spanish until that started happening.

Go back a 100 years? What does that have to do with today? Of course many different languages were spoken back then because we were getting immigrants from all over Europe. But they assimilated to English as it is our national de facto language. Even our Constitution is in English.

Get use to an illegal invasion from south of our border? Why would anyone including you do that?
So it was OK that earlier generations endured an "invasion" from Europe, but the immigration we have now from our southern borders is a problem to you? You imply that European immigrants switched to being English speakers faster than our current Spanish-speaking immigrants do. Many studies, however, have been done on this and they have found that today's immigrant learn English FASTER than European immigrants did. (Just for the record, German-speakers were found to assimilate the most slowly from a language perspective.) The reason is very simple: television and computers. So your assumptions are wrong.
Harvard Education Publishing Group - Home

Do Today's Immigrants Refuse to Learn English?

Here is the pattern that ALL immigrants follow: Even if they speak no English when they arrive here, they usually learn to understand it. Their children learn fluent English at school and the parents' language at home, so the second generation is bi-lingual. Their children, the third generation, usually speak English only with no accent whatsoever. By that time, other symbols of the grandparents' culture have also been dropped. The grandchildren usually have trendy "American" first names, they marry people of other cultures, and they move into neighborhoods not associated with the native culture. It was true of my grandparents (who came here from Hungary and Slovakia) and it's true of my neighbors (whose grandparents came here from Mexico).

Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Yep, I have heard many people Latinos [misnomer] called Spanish people and get a kick out of it.

Any human being on the North of South American continents who speak Spanish are referred to as Latino, Hispanic or some other meaningless category.

Anyone with roots in Italy, Spain, France or Portugal are Latino as it refers to any who speak a Latin based language.

Most of those from the west are Indians and there are plenty of tribes to choose from.
That isn't how the term is applied in the USA it refers to geography a Latino is someone of Latin American origin and not all Latino's are Hispanic either with Brazilians being an example of that. Hispanic in the USA is used in reference to someone from a Spanish speaking Latin American country Spaniards aren't Hispanic.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Slowpoke_TX
Really?? when was the last time you called your cable company, home depot or credit card - nona in the USA! I ask where are you- a lot now respond Mexico si-si

Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country and WTH does that have to do with the topic at hand about language usage? White people? Do you actually think that Blacks, Asians etc. want to listen to that Spanish babble all day long?
Do you think Hispanics want to listen to Chinese babble all day long?

Old 08-07-2015, 07:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It is incredibly hard for adults to learn a new language and when you're talking about poorer immigrants who are working blue collar jobs, most of their time is going to be devoted to surviving/working, not learning a new language. This is no different than past times. First generation Germans moving to Pennsylvania didn't learn English. Read The Jungle and you see that the Eastern European immigrants of the late 1800s were getting bilked out of their money because they couldn't understand signs and contracts - - but they worked insane shifts that left them so exhausted, learning the native language was next to impossible.

The great thing is the children of those who come over themselves have no problem with learning the language. My wife teaches at a high school in Chula Vista, which has an overwhelmingly Mexican ancestry to it. When she does home visits she's shocked sometimes about how a student who has the most fluent English has no English speakers in the house in terms of adults. And that's how it has been since the beginning.
I have read THE JUNGLE. Yes it is incredibly hard for an Adult to learn a new language. I grew up in a rural community composed of mostly second or third generation European immigrants. Nearly all of these people spoke English, although with an accent. FYI working on a farm is nothing but exhausting work with insane shifts or at least it used to be. The huge difference between the ILLEGAL immigrants of today and the immigrants of the 1800s and early 1900s is they WANTED to become Americans and were willing to follow the steps WE required of them to become Naturalized Citizens. The ILLEGAL immigrant of today does not want to become an American. He wants to take advantage of the benefits offered by gullible Americans.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:21 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Watched the video. If someone who I didn't know was filming me with a camera I would say something too. Maybe something like Put away the camera. Then the filming party would have said we can film whatever we want to

The whole thing seemed odd and a bit confrontational from the people filming. And to get up in someone's face waving your arms in her nose? of course she felt threatened and responded back.

And then the news got a copy of the film.

Something smells in Denmark.
I agree. Why didn't they just say this is a private conversation, mind your business, and ignore the lady? Why start recording it and then keep saying "You're gonna die REAL soon" over and over, then upload it to the Internet? If my mother were an ESL speaker and a stranger hurt her feelings like that, she would still be against me filming it and putting it online.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Any of them - - as we did in the past.

Republicans - - the family values party!

Canadians take in large numbers of immigrants. I doubt they have as many bitchers about it. Sad, considering we're supposed to be the melting pot - - the land of "give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses".

You really don't know how illegal immigration works, do you? You don't have to worry about them coming into your house. As far as them coming into my country, no, I don't care. And I live a lot closer to the Mexican border than you do.
Umm, unless you live in San Ysidro I highly doubt it. I don't want to draw this too OT (although I think that ship sailed long ago) I'll only say that I have no issue with legal immigration from those that will fully assimilate into the U.S. including learning the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events