Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 07:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've lived in the SF Bay area for many years, know San Jose pretty well, lived in LA for many more years, have traveled the farming corridor in between the two areas, frequented the fast food joints off I5 and HY101, and have never encountered any counter person who was unable to speak English to complete my order.
Lucky you...

Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
I don't mind if other people speak something other than English... I do...

If someone spoke English to me, I know what they said and can reply in kind, that's enough for me. I could care less if they don't like it when I'm speaking something else when I'm not talking directly to them... I'm as American as they are, they just don't know another language but that isn't my problem

Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Watched the video. If someone who I didn't know was filming me with a camera I would say something too. Maybe something like Put away the camera. Then the filming party would have said we can film whatever we want to

The whole thing seemed odd and a bit confrontational from the people filming. And to get up in someone's face waving your arms in her nose? of course she felt threatened and responded back.

And then the news got a copy of the film.

Something smells in Denmark.
And I bet it's got something to do with those darn Danes speaking Dutch!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have read THE JUNGLE. Yes it is incredibly hard for an Adult to learn a new language. I grew up in a rural community composed of mostly second or third generation European immigrants. Nearly all of these people spoke English, although with an accent. FYI working on a farm is nothing but exhausting work with insane shifts or at least it used to be. The huge difference between the ILLEGAL immigrants of today and the immigrants of the 1800s and early 1900s is they WANTED to become Americans and were willing to follow the steps WE required of them to become Naturalized Citizens. The ILLEGAL immigrant of today does not want to become an American. He wants to take advantage of the benefits offered by gullible Americans.
Yes - - second or third generation.

Once again, I'm on the front lines of this - - San Diego, CA, not Nebraska. I'm the one who is a teacher as is my wife. Immigrants want to learn English and the ones who are born here do, quickly and successfully. I teach English classes at the community college level, and my Hispanic students get the exact same grades as the white-as-snow students do. Any one who is selling you that immigrants aren't learning English is selling you a bunch of BS.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Umm, unless you live in San Ysidro I highly doubt it. I don't want to draw this too OT (although I think that ship sailed long ago) I'll only say that I have no issue with legal immigration from those that will fully assimilate into the U.S. including learning the language.
And you see where I live - - and I actually teach Mexican students in community colleges. They do learn the language. All of this hand wringing is ridiculous - - and it's worse coming from you since you should know better with where you live.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Again - I think she took her frustrations out on the woman. People are frustrated about illegal immigration and the increasing presence of Spanish. Right or wrong, it's true. I think this woman was frustrated with hearing Spanish and with the immigration problem and yelled about it.

That doesn't excuse her rudeness.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Please. No ones forcing you. It's called having an added skill. How horrendous! you can't order a burger in Iowa? Lol, why don't you exaggerate a little more.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Apparently to some being American means speaking English, wearing Wal-Mart clothes, waving the Confederate flag and whistling Dixie.
lol.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
This video ...wow...

Obviously the white woman was rude as hell. And the spanish lady yelling back was just as bad. It was her son who seemed to have the only common senses. Until he started telling her she is going to die real soon.

People are nuts -- that is the moral of this story.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. As you know, I'm a Jersey Girl myself, but I don't feel the same way at all. Illegal immigrants don't bother me in the least. If I were in one of those godawful impoverished countries and my best bet for survival was to get into the neighboring country where the food and the jobs are, you bet your ass I'd do whatever the hell I could to get in there, legalities or not.

I don't understand the fear of "being taken over" in the least. How are illegal immigrants taking over? By cooking our food and cutting our lawns? Taking over WHAT exactly? I am far more concerned with the money and effort made to dream up new and better ways to kill off other humans. Maybe if we spent some of that helping these immigrants to have better lives in their own homelands instead of figuring out how to murder people so we can get more stuff, we wouldn't have an illegal immigrant problem. Crazy talk, I know.

The language thing doesn't bother me, either. Language is language and always changing, and it's a subject that fascinates me. So much so that I gave birth to a kid who would grow up to be a linguist, lol. By the way, she's in Beijing teaching the small children of wealthy Chinese parents how to speak English. Some of you are gonna have a heart attack when they increase their emigration numbers to the US. And they are coming.

Remember the year 1066 from history? William of Normandy invades England and beats Harold for the crown at the Battle of Hastings. Not only did that event generate a really cool tapestry, but it forever and ever changed the English language from the Germanic-based Saxon English to a mix of English and Norman French that grew into what we speak today. I'm sure the same problem existed back then for the native-born English. All these damn foreigners in the land talking funny. Within two hundred years, the two languages had merged. That will probably happen here, too. It's not good or bad, it's just the way it works.

Uh oh! Now you're really going to get it! 4...3...2...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events