Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 06:56 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Another point being missed. MYOB. What was she doing eavesdropping on other people's conversations to begin with? She wanted them to be speaking in English so she could know what their private conversation was all about? Very, very RUDE.

She might have a point if it was an EMPLOYEE of the business, but certainly not other customers.

MYOB.

Edit: I can write in Gregg Shorthand. When I want to write notes that I do not want anyone else to be able to read, I use that shorthand. Once in college someone thought it was Arabic, and I got a nasty remark. Sorry, guy, it's SHORTHAND, and none of your business anyway.

actually no- employees can speak what they please- it's the constitution that gives that freedom- and they learned a while back-- a boss better NOT stop it-

Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The reason why this can be considered news (in that it's worthy of sharing) because it reminds us that these kinds of anti-Americans exist in the United States. We have always been a multilingual nation and have always allowed for and accommodated languages in addition to English.

This lady was out of line... not only for telling a person of Central American origin to go back to Spain, but also to get involved in a private conversation that she was not part of in a private establishment.
Hmmm, I never knew that .<bold> Growing up in and around one of the most liberal,melting pot places in the U.S. called the S.F. Bay Area the only place I saw a foreign language slightly accommodated was China Town in San Francisco and even then it was only street names in two languages. I would say up until the mid 80's all business was conducted in english and being bilingual was not required anywhere.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM

not required but business knows whose spending Le money! so they accommodate that base- and the politicians still trying to warp their heads around it too.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:27 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
actually no- employees can speak what they please- it's the constitution that gives that freedom- and they learned a while back-- a boss better NOT stop it-
I was referring to them speaking to the customers, not among themselves. If a customer speaks to them first in say Spanish and they reply in Spanish, so what? I would consider that good customer service.

We went a anniversary dinner at a Puerto Rican restaurant. The waiter came up to take our order in English. My daughter's MIL is Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish. She ordered for all of us in Spanish, even though that waiter spoke perfect English. She shouldn't have done this? How about to get better service? MIL translated back and forth to us. MIL was born in the States, but grew up speaking Spanish at home, so she is bilingual.

It's a pity that more families do not do this. My own Mom used to complain that because her parents wanted to be "American" she lost most of their Italian language. I know even less than she did.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
1. The lady in the video wasn't a redneck. Not even close.

2. The Spanish-speaking people weren't in private, they were in a public restaurant.

3. This redneck right here doesn't care what language you speak when you're having a private conversation, as long as you're keeping your volume low enough that you're not being discourteous to others.

While they were not in a private home, they were having a private conversation with family and friends. How do we know the original conversation was loud (other than possibly speaking over the ambient noise in the restaurant). It got loud after this white woman began berating them about it.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
https://youtu.be/Ej6XXc6Kq90

Latina Mom Berated Publicly for Speaking Spanish in a Restaurant - NBC News

How disgusting. So what if a family is speaking Spanish or Russian or Italian or any other language. America does not have a national language, no one is required to learn/speak English.
Sorry, at first I thought how horrible.

But as long time LA resident I don't buy this one. You can't go anywhere and not here Spanish at some point in your day. The woman it happened to lives in Highland Park, which is mostly Latino.

Just as example I heard in addition to English, Spanish and Armenian while having lunch with family in the Pasadena area.

Happened in Koreatown section, well you're going to hear a few languages there.

If this happened is some town in Missouri, OK. Even maybe out in Santa Clarita, CA. But not at this location.

There is a concentrated effort going on in to get the races pitted against each other.

Unless this woman was some tourist who ended up in this IHOP because she got lost on her way to Hollywood, I'm not sure this is real.

Even if she is some white woman with a double digit IQ, she would have been in the minority in that location. Would be about as smart as going to South Central LA and announcing out loud in a mostly black restaurant "blacks should be sent back to Africa".

Also just a simple check on this story and the victim has different occupations listed depending on what story you click on.

People need to start questioning things more, and not just believe everything on the TV on in the media.

Maybe it happened, maybe it's just another made up story to "stir the pot".

Old 08-08-2015, 11:06 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It was callous of the other guest to rudely interrupt this family's meal but how is this news? Not so much asking the OP as the NBC outlet that reported this.
It's news because there is a swelling amount of bigotry and racism in this country fueled by Tea Party activism.

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 08-08-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 AM

I can tell you I saw the same in Hdepot with my own eyes- it happens! I was working PT myself and they would complain to ME- more than one time -- they thought employees should not speak Spanish- crabby old snow birds - leave Florida already!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:16 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It made the news because people are still worried about the Soviets and the NAZI's.
Things like this happen quite often. The old culture of American racism just won't go away.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM

335 posts, read 376,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, at first I thought how horrible.

But as long time LA resident I don't buy this one. You can't go anywhere and not here Spanish at some point in your day. The woman it happened to lives in Highland Park, which is mostly Latino.

Just as example I heard in addition to English, Spanish and Armenian while having lunch with family in the Pasadena area.

Happened in Koreatown section, well you're going to hear a few languages there.

If this happened is some town in Missouri, OK. Even maybe out in Santa Clarita, CA. But not at this location.

There is a concentrated effort going on in to get the races pitted against each other.

Unless this woman was some tourist who ended up in this IHOP because she got lost on her way to Hollywood, I'm not sure this is real.

Even if she is some white woman with a double digit IQ, she would have been in the minority in that location. Would be about as smart as going to South Central LA and announcing out loud in a mostly black restaurant "blacks should be sent back to Africa".

Also just a simple check on this story and the victim has different occupations listed depending on what story you click on.

People need to start questioning things more, and not just believe everything on the TV on in the media.

Maybe it happened, maybe it's just another made up story to "stir the pot".
Your exactly right about getting the races pitted against each other. They want us divided as the rogue government just does what ever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events